SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Are you using the static force reduction filter?
That's what allows you to crank up the gain without making it too difficult to turn the wheel in corners and especially fast ones.

I set AC at about the same gain as you but do it in a slightly different way.
I have the servo at 100%, the main in game gain at 45% and then might have to adjust the per car settings just a little above or below 100%

I am using settings that I've found on GD forum: Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.25 - 18.47.54.07 (1).png

Except I have 100% in TD software and AC and then adjust per car in game. I am new to the DD bases so I haven't tinkered that much yet. Once I got the base I wanted to have some base settings so I could enjoy the sims straight away. So far I am quite like these settings for AC.
Other story is with PC2. I've spent 3 hours trying different settings and config files but still something is off with that games force feedback. Probably I shouldn't try to replicate ACs ffb in the first place. Oh well...

Upvote 0
I am using settings that I've found on GD forum:View attachment 328539
Other story is with PC2. I've spent 3 hours trying different settings and config files but still something is off with that games force feedback. Probably I shouldn't try to replicate ACs ffb in the first place. Oh well...
I've never tried PC2, but there is a thread about FFB called Christaan's pure FFB (do an internet search). If you've not read it, it might be worth a try. I remember reading the thread and being intrigued by it. Of course, might turn out to be nonsense, but what do you have to lose? ;)

Upvote 0
I've never tried PC2, but there is a thread about FFB called Christaan's pure FFB (do an internet search). If you've not read it, it might be worth a try. I remember reading the thread and being intrigued by it. Of course, might turn out to be nonsense, but what do you have to lose? ;)

I came across this Christaan's pure FFB earlier but I can't download the files as I am not registered on PC2 forum.

Upvote 0
So far I like how the SC2 Pro feels, but I also feel like I'm coming very close to getting hurt frequently enough to concern me. I know don't hit the walls right? Unfortunately now I'm getting to the point where if I think I'm about to hit something I pull both my hands away from the steering wheel as fast as I can.

I didn't have to worry about that before with the CS 2.5, and I'm also not the only one responsible for putting me into wrecks. I'm still kind of meh about the SC2 compared to the CS 2.5. Sure it has more power and yes I can feel more, but if it wasn't for the really nice wheels available for it, I think I would have serious buyers remorse.

I would put a direct drive wheel WAY down on my list of things that make driving immersive. I still think motion adds way way way more immersion than this does. One mans opinion. I think people get way too hung up on these things. I felt like my Sprint pedals were a big improvement for a lot less money.

Upvote 0
So far I like how the SC2 Pro feels, but I also feel like I'm coming very close to getting hurt frequently enough to concern me. I know don't hit the walls right? Unfortunately now I'm getting to the point where if I think I'm about to hit something I pull both my hands away from the steering wheel as fast as I can.

I didn't have to worry about that before with the CS 2.5, and I'm also not the only one responsible for putting me into wrecks. I'm still kind of meh about the SC2 compared to the CS 2.5. Sure it has more power and yes I can feel more, but if it wasn't for the really nice wheels available for it, I think I would have serious buyers remorse.

I would put a direct drive wheel WAY down on my list of things that make driving immersive. I still think motion adds way way way more immersion than this does. One mans opinion. I think people get way too hung up on these things. I felt like my Sprint pedals were a big improvement for a lot less money.
It just comes down to "different strokes for different folks". If I had to give up my DD wheel, I'd be done Sim-racing but, you and I approached this evolution from different angles; the DD-wheel was the first piece of high-end equipment I experienced, motion the most recent. Still, I can leave my motion system turned off and just focus on driving without even realizing it initially sometimes and it was the same with tactile. There's no way that would happen with ffb for me.

Upvote 0
If my motion or tactile isn't responding, I feel like I'm missing a lot. It all works so well together to sell the experience.

Maybe I'll eventually feel that way about dd wheel bases, but right now my right wrist is sore and I'm a bit pissed about it.

Upvote 0
There are multiple ideas about how to set things up.

To get the advantages of a dd wheel you pretty well need to turn up the force, otherwise there is no point to it. Unfortunately to get enough strength to feel detail in some areas means putting yourself at risk in others.

I'm starting to think it may make sense to optimize for the main driving areas and then purposefully allowing clipping when it goes past that. My guess is that this may be the safest way to get decent performance. But I'm not an expert on dd wheels.

Unfortunately the guys who seem to be the experts like Beano run extremely high Nm values.

At lower values I'm not convinced that dd wheels offer much of an advantage over a CS 2.5. My CS 2.5 had pretty solid FFB and no worries of spraining a wrist or of hurting a guest who comes to visit.

I've really enjoyed having people over who are excited to try out my rig. Now I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Granted I had a bad experience today and I'm smarting from that. I'll likely get over it and move on. I didn't get into this hobby to get injured and there are warning labels all over dd wheels for a very good reason. I do think that they have been WAY over hyped by people on videos talking about how amazing they are. Every single other improvement to my rig has made more of a difference to me than this has. Worst bang for the buck of any upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I believe it's mostly iRacing that is super bad with impact signal spikes. AC for instance doesn't do that.
We had some discussion on that on GD forum, read starting from this post
But yeah, if nothing helps, just drop driver strength, it's easier to let crazy spikes to just clip than visiting doctor's office after hitting the wall.

Upvote 0

To get the advantages of a dd wheel you pretty well need to turn up the force, otherwise there is no point to it. Unfortunately to get enough strength to feel detail in some areas means putting yourself at risk in others.

I'm starting to think it may make sense to optimize for the main driving areas and then purposefully allowing clipping when it goes past that. My guess is that this may be the safest way to get decent performance. But I'm not an expert on dd wheels.

Unfortunately the guys who seem to be the experts like Beano run extremely high Nm values.

At lower values I'm not convinced that dd wheels offer much of an advantage over a CS 2.5. My CS 2.5 had pretty solid FFB and no worries of spraining a wrist or of hurting a guest who comes to visit.

I've really enjoyed having people over who are excited to try out my rig. Now I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that.

Granted I had a bad experience today and I'm smarting from that. I'll likely get over it and move on. I didn't get into this hobby to get injured and there are warning labels all over dd wheels for a very good reason. I do think that they have been WAY over hyped by people on videos talking about how amazing they are. Every single other improvement to my rig has made more of a difference to me than this has. Worst bang for the buck of any upgrade.
Setting the clipping for safety in extreme situations (Wall contact) can be helpful but, I'm not sure it can be done 100% reliably either. I choose to use more moderate settings and DD-wheels do provide increased dynamic range over other wheels, even at lower torque levels, so I don't feel like I'm losing out at all just because I'm only using 35-40% of the systems capacity.

While I'm not suggesting that anyone should exceed their personal limits (Safety); in terms of realism, the perceived prospect of getting injured while sim-racing can supply a little bit of adrenalin, fear, respect and added immersion to the experience. Although, for anyone looking to do so, it seems prudent to ease into it gradually.

My body tends to dictate what my personal ffb-strength limits are by irritating old shoulder or upper-back injuries so, my wrists and fingers are not in too much danger.

Upvote 0

Clipping is your BEST FRIEND!
Riding the Lotus 49T Yesterday on iRacing Montmeló and clicking FFB AUTO, iR puts max force at 17nm and the car feels awesome!!! TD overall force at 8nm recon5 2200hz no Filters and clipping when its supposed to clip, awesome!

Upvote 0
I've always hated very hard and mostly unrealistic FFB. I run the Simucube driver at 100% but in some cars in rF2 I can run the multiplier as low as 15%. Most of the time, I run the in game gain at 40% and that feels authentic to me. If my arms are super tired after 10 laps I'm pretty sure it's too high.

There are many benefits to DD wheels that don't include breaking your arms. Everyone gets their value for money in different ways but I certainly don't feel I am wasting 60% of my money because I run FFB at 40%.

Upvote 0
I believe it's mostly iRacing that is super bad with impact signal spikes. AC for instance doesn't do that.
We had some discussion on that on GD forum, read starting from this post
But yeah, if nothing helps, just drop driver strength, it's easier to let crazy spikes to just clip than visiting doctor's office after hitting the wall.

iRacing is where I'm spending most of my time. The irony is that it "appears" to be track dependent even using the same car. I was just learning Mount Panorama and was completely shocked by the amount of impact I got. I was turning away and my hands were crossed when it hit me. Now I'm on Autodromo Jose Carlos Place, and feeling gun shy.

FWIW, the curbs come through tactile only in iRacing not steering. I was very surprised by this, however the tactile and audio line up perfectly and I feel and hear the curbs nicely because of them. I know this is very different between games based on the initial complaints about curbs in ACC. I do run one transducer with some surface texture and rpm that comes through the steering wheel which is sort of like running effects with an AccuForce wheelbase.

Most of the videos going on about how great the SC2 is are showing iRacing where I spend most of my time. I also spend some in Dirt Rally 2.0. I haven't touched (AC, ACC, PC2, or DR 1.0) since getting the SC2.

I've got Dirt Rally 2.0 acceptable, but there is no improvement over the CS 2.5 that I can feel. iRacing is better but it's subtle and I do think if you aren't running at a higher strength than the CS 2.5 is capable of delivering that you are missing out on what it does do.

I understand that you don't "need" tactile or motion to drive, but I find it a lot less involving and dead without them. I know that some people feel that way about driving without a dd and that's fine. As was said before different strokes and I'm not suggesting my opinion is better than anyone else's. Not only that I am absolutely not an expert at any of this and I still don't consider myself a good driver.

Case and Point of why my opinion barely matters:
When I was living in Dirt Rally 1.0 brake modulation had a much lower importance than it does on the track. As a result I loved my seat out of a VW Passat. Now that I'm using stiffer brakes with the Nm up pretty high so I can modulate better I'm finding my seat doesn't offer enough back support so I'm moving to a racing shell seat.

In threads where people were asking for seat suggestions, I would frequently explain that I got a great seat out of a wreck for $40 that I loved and that there was much more engineering in a production seat like that than a racing seat.

But my needs changed when I changed what I was using my rig for. For rally that seat was great! For track use with soft brakes it wasn't a problem either. When I got Sprints and cranked up my brakes so I could modulate 60-80% brake better, my performance improved and I could hit a corner better, but it required significantly more force and my back suffered for it.

I've changed my mind on a lot as I've gotten deeper into sim racing and I'm not trying to disagree with the opinions of other people here who have orders of magnitude more seat time racing than I have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe I'll eventually feel that way about dd wheel bases, but right now my right wrist is sore and I'm a bit pissed about it.
The thing with me and DD wheels is that:
- I've raced cars in real life with less force than my DD wheel but my arms were sore from the real life car but not the DD wheel
- I've raced cars in real life with stronger force than my DD wheel but my wrists are never sore but they are with the DD wheel

Aside from game-particular things like certain physics behaviours from certain cars/games, my theory on why the above happens is due to the following facts which massively dictate FFB behaviour:
- real life "FFB" is reactive (ie. passive) whereas videogame FFB is active. There's a big difference in an active system trying to simulate a reactive/passive system and a truly reactive/passive system
- real-life FFB can basically be thought of as a torque-based output system rather than a velocity and/or position-based output system which is what videogame FFB is
- even aside from the above 2 above points which show just how polar-opposite real-life "FFB" is to videogame FFB, videogame FFB texhnology is being limited or held back by Microsoft Direct Input (high-end FFB wheel manufacturers know this)
- there's also all the mass, damping, and inertia in steering systems that we don't have ibut this may not be too important because FFB filters probably do a good job with this...not to mention adding more real mass (eg. a heavier steering wheel) just makes a DD wheel's FFB work harder which is the complete opposite of real life "FFB."

I've never had sore muscles from using DD wheels, just unhealthy feeling wrist-pain/soreness - sometimes even just from correcting or trying to correct a slide - but it's the opposite in real life where I get sore muscles but never wrist-pains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been asked to try out an app.ini file for iRacing that I was assured would allow me to crank up the power, but not have dangerous impact jolts. I was told that the app.ini file that comes with iRacing is not designed for direct drive wheels and that it is actually dangerous.

While this is a bit old and for the original SimuCube, I was told the video explains the ini settings well.
(I still haven't tried any of this yet and to be fair based on the current iRacing and SC2 config screen shots that go with the ini file I was just given don't look to be much different than what I was using.)

I don't think I'll bother with any more speculative posts. It appears that a pile of people think they can fix all of my concerns. I guess I'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

in terms of realism, the perceived prospect of getting injured while sim-racing can supply a little bit of adrenalin, fear, respect and added immersion to the experience.
But what if I get a boo-boo? :unsure:

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes