SIMUCUBE Direct Drive Wheel With Electronics Integrated Into The Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
What do you mean by canned effects? Are you talking about something in particular in the Dirt Rally FF options or the Simucube options?

Dean was referring to the canned effects in Raceroom.

Slip Effect, Engine Vibrations, Kerb Vibrations, Shift Effect and Collision Effect.
If you have them set too high they can tend to muddy the ffb

15 FFB 02.jpg

Upvote 0
These canned effects are in the game software not the Simucube. Frequently the canned effects are made to feel good on Thrustmaster to CS 2.5 belted wheels, but feel horrible on direct drive wheels. Instead of being built from road texture and telemetry, they are just repeated FFB snipets used over and over.

Well, if anyone can say what effects should be muted or reduced in the FF Dirt Rally menu, I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Thanks, got it already, even that one holding my Small Mige would still work, this one has smaller footprint.

Upvote 0
I just talked with a guy who has a SC2 Pro from Batch 3 and apparently a bunch of them came with the wrong internal mapping and they think they are a SC2 Sport and won't go up to 25Nm. I was told that the next firmware update is supposed to fix this.

Upvote 0
So far the only time I've needed the emergency button was after crashing into a wall. Otherwise it "seems" pretty stable and not dangerous. Of course I've not set foot outside of iRacing yet.

Upvote 0
This is still surprising me. Every time I drive I keep adding torque to the wheel. I think 15 is good then 16, 17, 18. I just did 10 laps at 20 Nm and 20Nm "might" have been a bit much today, but I'm worried I'm going to run out of juice and want more tomorrow.

There has been no clipping yet and it is barely warm to the touch.

Oh and I'm starting to grin more. I saved a couple of slides that I was able to nip in the bud and a couple others that I was shocked I was able to save.

VERY glad I did not get a Sport.

Still loving my wheel. Everything about it feels great!

At least I now understand how Beano and some others can actually use the Pro at 25Nm max value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run the Small Mige at 100% (20nm) but I only ever run FFB in game at no more than 40%. So what's that, less than 10nm? I can't stand FFB that makes me feel like I am fighting the car in every turn.

Upvote 0
I run the Small Mige at 100% (20nm) but I only ever run FFB in game at no more than 40%. So what's that, less than 10nm? I can't stand FFB that makes me feel like I am fighting the car in every turn.

I'm probably saying this wrong. I know this value is being scaled down.

The way I understand how this is working is the following: ( please correct me if I'm wrong )

In iRacing I set the Max Wheel force to 25 Nm which is the maximum amount of force my wheelbase is capable. Then I set the Maximum Force to a high enough value that the signal isn't clipped. This is supposed to give you the best detail. Linear is checked.

So for the Ferrari 488 GT3 I found 44Nm is the highest peak that it has given me. At 40Nm I'll very rarely get a double beep from the SC2 indicating it clipped. iRacing then scales the maximum 44Nm force available from this to the signal to the SC2 25Nm/44Nm = .5681

So I'm supposed to be feeling .5681 of the force coming through the car. I have no idea if this is actually realistic.

Then in the SC2 I'm scaling that maximum of 25Nm down to 20Nm.
looking at .5681 * 20Nm = 11.36 Nm

So if the driver of that car was supposed to get 25Nm of force I would only feel 11.36 Nm. However if that car actually put out a 44Nm peak torque value, I would see 20Nm. I can only assume this is a very high peak in a crash for example.

I've heard some people suggest I should set the SC2 to 25Nm Max and just tweek the maximum Force in iRacing to scale the signal down.

Upvote 0
iRacing is weird how it does the FFB with multilple sliders. All I can say is that I put the Strength slider down to basically nothing. I think I put nm slider at 20 for my SC1. But the amount of force required to turn the wheel (in the cars I've driven, mainly 488) is completely stupid at anything over like 6.0 strength slider value.

Upvote 0
In practice I am finding out that there is a lot of confusion among new SC2 owners about how to configure things. However there are a LOT of people who just got theirs so there are many newbies like myself trying to read and understand a lot of information. Some of it is conflicting.

That said, all that matters to me is that I am starting to like how it feels better than my CS 2.5. Sure I suspect I'll tweak things over time, but that's not a big deal.

I did notice that the last release of 1.0.10 has a "Simple Mode" in addition to the Advance mode, but I have trouble with the idea of hiding any of the sliders at this point.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I think the confusion is more of the way iRacing does force scaling than DD wheel itself.
Using driver max force for scaling or in gane usually doesn't matter except for a few cases like DR2 that does not have true gain slider. There are few advantages of doing it either way, essentially healthy headroom for ffb spikes vs safety guard that clips them.
As for iRacing actual Nm calculations check this doc, http://ascher-racing.com/wp-content/uploads/OpenSimwheel-Tutorial.pdf

Upvote 0
So for the Ferrari 488 GT3 I found 44Nm is the highest peak that it has given me. At 40Nm I'll very rarely get a double beep from the SC2 indicating it clipped. iRacing then scales the maximum 44Nm force available from this to the signal to the SC2 25Nm/44Nm = .5681

Just out of curiosity where are you getting this value of 44nm?

In this case a GT3 has power steering, numerous journalists(and racing drivers) in articles and videos mention how easy it is to drive these cars, no one fighting the steering in a modern GT or F1 car for that mater.

Just from general observation you shouldn't even need more than 13nm in anything that has power steering.

Crash scenarios is a different case, but those peaks should be cutoff (sudden call for max torque out of the blue) as you wouldn't want to brake your wrists/hands in a sim car crash.

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity where are you getting this value of 44nm?

In this case a GT3 has power steering, numerous journalists(and racing drivers) in articles and videos mention how easy it is to drive these cars, no one fighting the steering in a modern GT or F1 car for that mater.

Just from general observation you shouldn't even need more than 13nm in anything that has power steering.

Crash scenarios is a different case, but those peaks should be cutoff (sudden call for max torque out of the blue) as you wouldn't want to brake your wrists/hands in a sim car crash.

I'm getting this empirically. With it set to 40 and 25 I was getting double beep clipping notifications from the SC2. I was also told that 44 would work by someone on the Granite State forum. However they said that for some cars you would need to go as high as 60 or more.

YES, I realize that in real life 60 Nm would tear your arms off! I can't explain why, I just know I've read many things that seem to confirm this is how it works.

Upvote 0
I'm seeing a number of interesting profiles on a Facebook Simucube Owners Group by a guy named Anthony Beck. He has his iRacing settings at 40 over 25 and runs 100% in True Drive.

This is specifically for the Audi R8 on Silverstone.
I'm not calling this nirvana, I don't have the R8 yet and I haven't tested it, but he has been putting out a lot of these and apparently people like them.

AudiSilverstone1.jpg

AudiSilverstone2.jpg

Upvote 0
I think that a lot of these extreme peaks or even very high values (~20nm) are from impact, ex. curbs, wall crash etc. In my personal opinion these shouldn't be used as a reference for the potential max because I think its almost irrelevant.

A clean lap without touching the curbs is probably your best bet to get the most out of the wheel in terms of the peak force requested.

I don't think we care to simulate the forces of a crash, and secondly I think you can make the argument that high forces from curb impacts we might as well allow the wheel to clip, because its just blunt force anyway you won't be needing any "detail" flying over a hard curb.

If anyone thinks that you should be fighting 20nm of resistance going through say Les Combes in just about anything is a little silly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it matters, I've heard clipping at 40 over 25 in a corner without hitting anything. I didn't feel anything, but the SC2 told me it was getting clipped data.

The good news is that a bunch of people are beating on this and coming up with all kinds of variation. At some point people will start to fit into groups who like things to feel a certain way. Like the setup of a car.

To add confusion to this, since there are people with very different setups on their cars, that could impact how these feel too.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 130 85.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 46 30.3%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 52 34.2%