Simraceway

Just finishing first day of testing.. Can't really say one thing or the other about the most important technical aspects since FFB is ridiculously flawed. My momo is clipping all the time. That is to say that they are having some serious scaling issues, it feels like everything is 10 times stronger than it should.. Setting max strength in the windows settings to 30% it started to feel somewhat same as Race at 75%. I said somewhat since those two handle FFB very differently. Very odd opposite lock interpretation.. There is grip/weight FFB etc adjustments available in the engine, would be a good idea to give that control to player so we can choose what info is the most important to us.

Looking at content, it's huge. But.. Some cars are ridiculously overpriced. 38€ for a McLaren? How much F1 2012 the game cost, around 30€? One must be pretty stupid to pay that amount of cash. Then again, there is price events so i don't yet know how much that affects... So it might be that they are actually cheap.

Few races that i participated with M1, try-it-tuesday car (or what ever it is called). Surprisingly clean, at the front at least.

I hope they clean up that FFB code, it's not at all what ISI engine can deliver. Of course it might have very sharp feel but clipping masks about 90% of the info. Basically you only know "there's grip" and "there's no grip at all" and maybe 3 steps in between. Clipping = running out of room, even the slightest FFB output will be maxed thus clipping all that precious data.

Graphics, well, it's ancient engine, DX11 enhancing just might provide some improvements but without major rewrite, there's not much to do.. Sounds were pretty nice, nothing wrong. As free2play business model goes, system specs need to be as low as possible.

I would say promising package. Content is surprisingly huge, that's a big plus. I tested this the day it came out, i think they had only one car then (which was basically undriveable with wheel and without aids). Comparing current state to that is night and day. With FFB code sorted, i can imagine myself spending many, many hours with SRW

I'm completely sold on this one now. It might not be perfect or 100% sim for all I know, but I know I'm having tons of fun and that's all that matters in the end. :)
What's more is that the devs are very active on their "forum" and live chat (both Ingame and on the website) and are taking tips and requests from players, so you can actually have a impact on the end result if you want and put in the effort.

I'm completely sold on this one now. It might not be perfect or 100% sim for all I know, but I know I'm having tons of fun and that's all that matters in the end. :)
So very true Kjell - it's the fun factor that is the most important for any game be it a sim or an arcade adventure. Nearly all of us will never know just how accurate our racing games physics and tyre models really are anyway outside of obvious flaws. I have no doubt that Allan McNish could tell us how accurate SRW is ;)

I read this its to late for me to try but i will tomorrow:unsure:
Oh I forgot it appears that the Real Feel plugin for rFactor works in SRW :) it doesn't give any announcement but appears to work.
http://community.simraceway.com/simraceway/topics/logitech_g25_wheel_settings?page=2

I've never got that one working in rFactor, (mostly i was just lazy to figure things out..) but if you do, please report back.. That could solve a lot. I say could since the bug is probably way deep in the code. Can't help thinking it's just a scaling issue somewhere in the code.. Like 16bit value stored in 32bit space MSB/LSB reversed or something ( i know they don't do that anymore, i'm ancient, but the effect is the same..)

Sadly SRW has recently disabled support for all addons not specifically made for SRW and with that RealFeel. The RealFeel dev might have fixed the addon already but I doubt it. I'll post some links on the matter later when I'm at a computer.

Anyone know if SRW has an update log/blog? I ask as I noticed the Ariel Atom was updated today and I'd like to know what changes were made given the posts earlier in this thread. Apparently it was a 'heat issue' fix taken from the live chat but alas there isn't a change log to verify this info as it didn't come from a SRW rep.

Looks like a tonne of tracks are coming based on the SRW twitter feed: Donington, Istanbul, Magny-Cours, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Cadwell Park, Nurburgring - Nordschleife, Imola, Valencia, Monza, Brands Hatch, Zolder.

Wow :cool:

Here's the threads about plugins/addons;
First one about FanaLeds not working, we have a Joseph explaining that they have disabled 3rd party plugins to keep a level playingfield as some plugins may give people a unfair advantage;
http://community.simraceway.com/simraceway/topics/fanaled_not_working

Second is a plugin wishthread where you can post your comments/requests for a specific addon to be made or made compatible;
http://community.simraceway.com/simraceway/topics/simraceway_designed_plugins_wishlist

At the bottom there's a question from a dev if noone wants RealFeel support as noone has asked for it yet, so if you feel this is vital do head over there and leave your comments!

travis: The info about the heat issue being fixed in the Atom came from a dev, second handed by me :p (My nick is source over at SRW). I saw a dev saying that they where pushing the update with the heat fix to the atom, the problem was that the car was overheating in a particular event (where I guess it shouldn't have been overheating).
I asked them whether they have a blog/log of patchnotes, and they DO have a blog on which they post news and patchnotes when there's a bulk of changes (you'll find the blog on the main site), but small bugfixes like this won't be mentioned there, at least not while the game is still in beta. One of the devs in the chat is trying to get hold of one of the physics guys to get some info about the Atom update, if he returns with anything I can repost it here if you wish.

http://community.simraceway.com/sim..._rally_event_held_at_troyton_and_paradise_bay

Noticed this on the forums today, I'd love to see more rally events come in, though I'd also love to see that accompanied by more suitable tracks for stages... For example a hill climb event or even for example a dirt stage.

I live in close proximity and grew up around some legendary rally stages for the Rally of Wales, the idea of being able to drive those stages (one particular stage I have in mind, which ended in Margam Park as the final stage of the year for a few years) in a sim. Perhaps SRW isn't the game to do this and I should be looking at RBR, but they keep adding cars from the rallying world and offroaders. This event though I believe is not being run officially, so rather a user made event.

One can dream! Afterall, they did a course modelled on a british town (Pudsey), I believe they have employees who live/work from there. I'm sure a few thousand photographs and a video of the stage could easily be made by the welsh SRW users (and there are a few), I'd love to do it personally.

But like I said, one can dream.. A bit overly ambitious to perhaps expect they would be interested in taking it on.

Its a bit weird not seeing a driver in the car though on replays or have i missed a box to check:unsure:

If you have a look in SimEd the driver is actually there but turned off, well, for the Morgan at least that I personally know of....
I gave up on SRW a while back due to a few reasons but having read some of the more recent posts Im considering seeing if my account is still active & having another look at it, although Im still very (read extremely) skeptical of it.
I guess I just got burnt bad by it....

i dont seem to suffer what your feeling through the wheel.. no spikes,, yes its stiffer than my GTL..
but i do run that on low settings only feeling the wheels no kurbs for example but i do feel weight tranfare and the wheel goes light when i lock up.. and is heavy when tyres are under load..

It depends from wheel to wheel, heard a few times about T500 users complaining, where as G25/G27 users have it easy. The FFB for me has been as near as plug and play as I could want but the options are there to really fine tune it, if you find with the Logitech wheels you have a lack of centre FFB on straights then there is a config file fix for it on the forums, I didn't need to use it myself but some people swear by it.

Had a similar conversation about FFB on the Project CARS forums (T500 user) but personally I've not had any FFB issues with my G27, to my hands it's as good as anything out there bar NetKar/FVA.

As for SimRaceway, I first installed it and thought it was a bit meh, it was as rough as can be and the physics were dodgy, but a few months later I gave it a go on test drive tuesday and was mighty impressed by the physics on the car, I didn't play it a lot until recently but I kept and eye on the progress and they have moved forward massively with it as a whole package since then, the physics on many of the cars are really top notch, some arguably as good as it gets in this generation of sims.

Still though, it's early days. I'd say you couldn't expect SimRaceway as a racing service to compete with iRacing, maybe when that big list of european tracks gets released (summer) and all the features to allow proper league racing to take place have been implemented. It's an ongoing process and new things arrive all the time, the devs listen to the userbase and are moving in the direction that the community wants with it, so hopefully with time it will become someting a whole lot bigger and better.

Set up the wheel as you like it, wait for your updates/content to download and then jump in a car and take a drive around Mid-Ohio in practice mode and get a feel for it. It may be the only car you have but personally I don't think that car should be the Evo X, some like it but generally it is not seen as one of the better cars, if anything it is the one that people are crying for the most attention for.

The new Ford Sierra Cosworth is cheap (760 credits or 76cents) and a much better starting point car, so I would suggest you start there.

New car added: 2012 Jaguar XKR-S, priced at $1.32 or 1320 credits.

Jaguar_XKRS_2012_FrontThreeQuarter.JPG

Looking at the total list it's up to 81, with a really nice selection and variety. This is the complete list of available cars as of now.

Street Cars

Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 (1987)
Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback (1965)
Ford Mustang Boss 302 (1969)
Ford Mustang Boss 302 (2012)
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor (2011)
Koenigsegg Agera R (2012)
Mini John Cooper Works S Coupe (2011)
Audi RS4 (2008)
Audi S5 (2011)
Audi R8 GT (2011)
Audi TT RS (2012)
Lexus LFA (2011)
Lexus CT200h F SPORT (2012)
Volkswagen Jetta TDI US-Cup - (2008)
Volkswagen Golf R (2010)
Volkswagen Beetle Turbo (2012)
Mclaren F1 LM (1995)
Mclaren MP4-12c (2011)
Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce (1968)
Alfa Romeo 8C (2007)
Alfa Romeo Mito (2009)
Ariel Atom 500 V8 (2010)
Maserati A6GCS/53 Pininfarina Berlinetta (1953)
Maserati MC12 (2005)
Jaguar E-Type (1964)
Jaguar XFR (2012)
Jaguar XKR-S (2012)
Mazda MX-5 (2011)
Mazda RX-7 (1993)
Mazda RX-8 (2007)
Toyota 2000GT (1968)
Toyota Supra RZ-S (2002)
Toyota GT86 (2012)
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport (2011)
Saleen S7 TT (2007)
Saleen S5S Raptor (2010)
Lancia Stratos Stradale (1973)
Renault Alpine A110 (1970)
Renault 5 Turbo (1981)
Renault Megane RS (2010)
Austin Healey 100/6 (1959)
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (1998)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III (1995)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (2005)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (2008)
MG MGA MkII (1962)
Palatov D4 (2010)
Palatov D1 (2011)
Dodge Charger R/T (2011)
Dodge Viper ACR-X (2010)
Morgan 3 Wheeler (2011)
Bentley Continental Supersports (2010)
BMW 1 Series M Coupe (2011)

Racing Cars

Mclaren M1B (1966)
Mclaren M6GT (1969)
Mclaren M6GT Bruce Mclaren (1969)
Mclaren MP4-12c GT3 (2011)
BMW M1 Procar (1978)
BMW Z4 GT3 (2010)
BMW E92 M3 GT2 (2010)
Chevrolet Corvette C6R GT2 (2010)
Ford GT-R GT2 (2010)
Maserati MC12 GT1 (2010)
Mazda Furai (2008)
Toyota TS020 GT-One (1998)
Audi R18 TDI (2011)
Volkswagen Race Touareg (2008)
Renault Megane Trophy (2010)

Open Wheel Racing Cars

Bugatti Type 51 GP (1931)
Maserati 250F (1957)
Mclaren M23 (1973)
Mclaren M26 (1976/1977)
Mclaren MP4/4 (1988)
Mclaren MP4 -25 (2010 )
Mclaren MP4-26 (2011 )
Mclaren MP4-27 (2012 )
IZOD IndyCar Series IndyCar (2012)
Formula Renault 3.5 (2011)
SimRaceway Formula 3 (2011)
SimRaceway FSAE B11 (2011)
SimRaceway Kart (2011)

Lee Knight : everything else is up to par except FFB..

You are right about the clipping in the FFB, yet... strangely, I still kind of like it. I have a g25 and it is true that the detail is not there but the flaw also 'fixes' some of the natural loose on center feel of the G25 (related to Rupe's comment about heavy under load). And the FFB gives just enough info to support the physics model nicely when traction is lost at the rear.

Yes, I'd like more detail in the FFB but it works for now and doesn't take away too much from the fun of driving the handling model. It does have a slightly dumbed down feel though so we'll see if it changes over time.

Their posts on facebook suggests that in Q1 this year they will be adding social features, which will include being able to create your own races and social groups for league racing, or just racing with your friends for example.

On the forums they also announced multi car racing

"Hey guys,

I think you will be all very pleased to know that one of the most requested features over the past few months will be implemented very soon; Multi Car Races are just around the corner. This is something that I have personally wanted to see for a long time, so I’m pumped!

The first iteration of this will require you to own all of the vehicles that would be racing against each other in the particular class. For example, if we hosted an American Muscle Car Event then you would need to purchase the relevant bundle unless you already own the vehicles prior to the bundle being available. In the future, you will not need to own all the cars that you would be racing against."

Alongside that they have announced
SRW Off-Road Buggy, soon to be released 3,400-lb, 467-bhp beast"

226643_10151272587644247_706653625_n.png

And this 2012 Asphalt Modified, which already has it's own forum feedback thread meaning it will be available probably within the week.

Logo_Asphalt_Modified_2012_SharpView_1200_x_450.jpg

So lot's of big things happening over at SimRaceway, hopefully things will fall into place sooner rather than later, I just hope they can find it in their heart to release a new circuit before the summer.

Having played a lot of free2play games i can honestly say that the priority is content then bugs. So everytime you see new content being announced, add 1 month to bugfixes.. It's all about cashflow, new content gives you cash, bugfixes don't. It's shortsighted but if enough new poeple join, they can get away with it. I'll wait for the FFB fix.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back