SimLabs GT1 build log (includes NLV3 motion platform mounting)

It starts.....

5 weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger on a chassis upgrade after building an 'Anthony Room' extension on the bottom level of my house. I ordered a SimLabs GT1 80 / 20 cockpit after hearing so many good things about this type of material for sim racing cockpits.

It arrived this afternoon.

20180501_140453.jpg

After 50kg's worth of aluminium made its way from the Netherlands to Australia, it still had an hour drive home from work before we could get started.

My games room:

20180501_162232.jpg

Cleaning up whatever was in the way in the yet to be completed move-in, I made room to begin the build. Half the components of my new build are yet to arrive. As some may know, I also decided that nowhere near enough money was spend on the chassis and decided to upgrade to an OSW direct drive wheel, HE Pro Pedals and handbrake. 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE's will also replace my 4 Aura Bass Shakers used on the previous build. As you can see I was quite eager to try them and 5 weeks is a long wait for anything in sim racing. They are screwed to an old table and I've been running them while driving with a game pad sitting at my PC, in-between them.

It's highly NOT recommended to try and drive with a game pad, FYI.....

20180501_162245.jpg

Getting on to crack open the boxes now.

20180501_170401.jpg

Everything was pretty well packed and nothing seems to be damaged. @Mascot was right about the lack of instructions.... None whatsoever. Just knowing what the parts are for would have been enough, but I assume that they all go together a particular way and you would know if a part was wrong as long as you follow a logical build structure. One slightly disappointing thing was that I received the standard, cheaper Fanatec shifter mount (one I originally had in the cart) but I ordered the more expensive, round looking one. I am sure I can make it work. If I get the extra parts that I requested, I'll be happy. Who knows, I may not even need it and just use it as a Buttkicker mount for the rear....

Time to get started.

20180501_174441.jpg

Bottom frame loosely together to allow for adjustments before I tighten down and pull everything into square. Nice of SimLabs to include the rubber feet of the P1 in my GT1 build. On their site it states you get plastic feet which in the pictures do look slightly higher and obviously a different material to the rubber included in the P1. I appreciate that. I do have some rubber isolation coming for the seat and pedals and planned on using the left overs for the feet. Well they aren't here yet and as @Mascot pointed out, put the feet on before you get too far into the build. I have to change pedals soon anyway and will sort all of the above ground stuff out later. Much easier to get to than turning the chassis upside down once the monitors are on..... ;)

A side note. I was worried how much room this chassis would take behind my desk chair here (my PC is to the left of the chassis in the photo). It's footprint is actually pretty good as you can see. You can measure all you like before hand but nothing is like actually having the item in the place where it's going to be sitting. I think I'll be OK.

20180501_180912.jpg
20180501_180906.jpg

A quick look at how the V3 platform fits inside the seat mounting frame. The gap either side of the bottom frame is actually not too bad. Spacers might have worked and allowed me to drop into the frame a bit better than what I have planned. I do have an idea though, and will try that once I get some food into me and continue the build. You can see the absolutely shocking drill out I had to do on the rear of the top frame of the platform to accommodate the seat slider and H frame on the old chassis. These are both gone now and the build will be much better for it. The lower I can get this platform the more options I have when choosing a seating position. I've always wanted to have my feet high and stuck out way in front to simulate being in an open wheeler. Hopefully this chassis and what I have planned for the V3 mount will allow this.

Having fun so far :)

20180501_200935.jpg
20180501_204156.jpg

So, the original (above) brackets I had in mind were a little too long. The platform barely sits above the carpet. Which is great for seating position but not so great for the fan underneath. So, I had some others lying around I was intending on using for Buttkicker mounts, that I don't think I will need. They also look HEAPS stronger, and will also bring the platform up enough for me to be comfortable with ventilation. Very similar to the single piece @Mascot had fabricated but not as nice :)

Mounting platform now.

20180501_212855.jpg

So the second bracket option is a no go as well. The bolt heads hit up against the profile because of the different drop in the bracket. I've conceded that for tonight, at least, I am reverting back to plan A and taking it from there. I want to get most of this together tonight and if I spend any longer perfecting the V3 mount I may well have no time for anything else. The V3 does sit a fair bit higher this way, but it's something I can come back to later on without too much fuss, I'd say. With it in front of me I have a much better chance of knowing what will work best.

Last edited:
Good times Anton. I went down the same rabbit hole and went nuts when I bought all my high end gear replacing my entire mid range setup in a short time. It's a snowball effect, you buy one bit of top tier kit that suddenly makes the rest of the gear not look good enough, so it needs to be rebalanced. You become a sim gear crack whore! Now you need to see if you can resist treating that lovely new DD wheel with an assortment of rims and button boxes.

• Haha
Reactions: CC
Upvote 0
I know I feel so bad. But when it all comes and I'm strapped in with it all, that's when that feeling goes away and you know that for a little while at least, you can be happy.

I think....

Upvote 0
Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Happy Days :)

Have you considered rubber isolators between the VR3 and the inner 8020?
With them offering some rebound, it may help increase the felt sensation of lateral body movements rather than deadening them more if just bolted to the 8020 frame.

Just curious if anyone tried something like this?

Upvote 0
@Mr Latte I have isolation feet still on the way so no way to do it now, but will definitely have a play with that idea if I can get the platform lower. As it is it sits higher than I had hoped and I still need a piece of profile across the V3 to mount my seat to, as well as isolation under the seat at least.

Upvote 0
20180501_215715.jpg

So the bolts on the left are the ones for the sandwich plates that connect all the uprights to the bottom frame. The ones one the right, clearly, have a longer thread. I need around 30 of the ones on the left, if not more.

I have been given 7.

At this stage the build is on hold as it's 10pm and neither the hardware store nor the angle grinder are options at this hour.

I am actually super frustrated with my service to this point.

I have:

a) The wrong (cheaper) shifter mount
b) Incorrect countersunk screw that can ONLY be countersunk as the profile needs to sit flush and hard up against another piece of profile.
c) Waited patiently for 5 weeks while all this came to me without saying a word

Frustrated.

10.43pm:

Grinding the bolts down. I'm not sleeping anyway :)

So we're moving along now. Shaved most of the bolts that I need for the sandwich plates down now. Just waiting for a battery recharge for the rest. In the mean time, I have the wheel base mount up. Next is the pedal deck and shifter / handbrake mount. I am still trying to work out which is the extra piece/s for the mounting of the seat to the V3 platform. I really hope Darko through them in like he said he would as I really need them now.
20180501_231431.jpg

Pedal mount has been assembled, now to mount it to the main frame.

20180501_233809.jpg

20180502_001215.jpg

Pedal mount and shifter mount are complete. Pedal mount needs some adjusting as does the wheel deck uprights to allow pedals to move a little closer, but for now, they are OK.

20180502_003857.jpg
20180502_003901.jpg

Now onto figuring out the monitor stand and whether or not I have ANY profile left over. This is what I am looking at as 'extra'...

20180502_004222.jpg

Moving on...

20180502_014818.jpg

Those two little pieces are for the monitor mount (at the rear), so definitely will need to chase down the missing bits. The only pieces of profile left are for the two side monitors and then that's it. Nothing to mount the seat with. Not part of the standard kit but it was discussed and organised to have sent. Shame.

I will use those two pieces to mount the seat. At least that way we get a better look at the entire thing as it will eventually end up. Also the monitor mount looks super high where it is. I may need to drop the angle brackets underneath the shifter mount. Will need to mount a monitor to assess.

20180502_024033.jpg
20180502_024035.jpg

Final update for the night/morning. I have used the outer monitor mounts to bi-pass the misaligned hole pattern on the seat and the V3 mounting plate (courtesy of some helpful fellows on these forums :)) Unfortunately, the bottom of my seat is now hitting the profile as it was when I tried direct mounting it to the V3. I think my solution will be a choice from a number of options, some of which I will try tomorrow and some that may need extra parts.

Been a fun / frustrating day, but seeing it come together is great. It's a mighty fine looking chassis and I can't wait to get some hardware mounted to just take it for a spin.

Thanks for following along! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anton mate,

Get some carpet / wooden floor sliders to put under the feet. Makes moving the rig around much easier, should you have to and won't damage the flooring.

All the best,

Steve

Upvote 0
Very interested in this! I've got a GT1 myself that I built back in January and it's quite the upgrade over the desk and chair I was using. Sim-lab has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced so just contact them about any issues you have, though I can understand the frustration.

After seeing @Mascot add the NLV3 to his new P1 I've been wondering how it would fit the GT1 with it's shorter side profiles. I'm mildly interested in one but I don't won't to make the seat sit too much higher than it already is on mine.

Upvote 0
It won't be going anywhere @Steve D unless I dismantle it to move out. I understand what you mean though so thank you :)

I am going to position it before the screens go on. I think before they go on it should be OK to lift and slightly move it into perfect position. There isn't that much room down here so it's not like I can pick and choose where it goes anyway.

Upvote 0
Ah, I missed this thread! Thanks for the heads-up @Dave_6.

I don't know if you saw @AntoN_CheZ but I put a sketch in the NLV3 thread yesterday that may/may not be of interest. Here's the full post:

@AntoN_CheZ, I've been scratching my head trying to think of a good way to suspend your NLV3 within the depth of your GT1. It's a bit of a bugger due to the wider cockpit (100mm wider than the P1) and reduced depth (80mm high, as opposed to 160mm high). The gap between the inside of your side rails and the NLV3 is therefore a theortical 70mm each side, and the M8 fixings into the NLV3 are centred 67mm up from the NLV3's bottom face (which you want to be around 20mm from the floor for sufficient air circulation to feed the fans). I think a 2.5" x 2" x 1/4" aluminium angle with the 2" leg fixed directly to the inside face of your side rails could do the trick, as the standard 80/20 corner fixing brackets could be mounted on the top horizontal face of the angle bracket flush with its edge. Your NLV3 will be a little bit lower this way, but not by much. It's really limited by the depth of the side rails.

I better do a sketch.

Edit:

95EcnGh.png

Upvote 0
After looking at your photos @AntoN_CheZ, is the GT1 really 100mm wider than the P1 as Sim Lab say in their specs? It doesn't look like there's a 70mm gap between the NLV3 and the inside of your side rails.

Sorry to hear that your order contains a few mistakes, it can be very frustrating. I'm surprised you are short a few fixings - I've literally got hundreds left over, plus about ten metres of various extrusions. It's not ideal but I'm sure Darko will sort you out though mate.

Of course, if you wanted to mount the NLV3 lower in the frame then all you have to do is raise the chassis up off the ground more than it currently is. Short chopped lengths of profile would do this if you have any left over, or you could buy taller feet. It would be the simplest solution, dead easy to implement.

Looking great so far!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey mate,

Yeah I am not having a great time tbh.... I basically got nothing that I requested, or was offered (it wasn't really promised but I felt like I was being looked after).

No profile to mount my seat to the V3.
No extra vertical piece for the shifter mount, nor sandwich plate to connect said piece. This piece is not part of the GT1 and I wanted to PAY for it to be included. It hasn't arrived.

The build is fun, but at this stage I am already having to modify wrong parts, and think of ways to now mount this seat. I barely have enough profile to complete the build. I absolutely will have nothing left over, as I still have to create the triples stand and I have one piece of 580mm and two pieces of 520mm left. I hope that's it for the stand otherwise I am short.

I do have two very small pieces of profile, maybe 250mm or so each. I can't yet see what these are for. If they are indeed spare this may get the seat mounted. I'll have to cut them into 4 pieces and mount them individually instead of spanning across the platform.

Hmm...

Upvote 0
Did you see the schematics I posted in the other thread a few days ago? They aren't build instructions as such but might help with deciding what goes where. Check the photos and downloads on the Sim Lab site too. Good luck..! My build took almost a week on and off with various hardware changes and adaptions, tweaking etc. plus I had to invent my own monitor mount as the one I ordered wasn't suitable for my 50" screen.

It's good fun but nice when it's finished, lol.

Upvote 0
I've had my GT1 for couple years now and SimLab messed up my order too with missing parts, some from the rig, and other bits I bought from their store at the same time. They did send the missing parts, but it's wasn't a smooth process. I have to contact them a few times to get it all sorted as they only partially sent me the missing bits.

To their credit they did sort it all out, but it was a bit frustrating at the time when it prevented me finishing the build. Oddly I did have quite a few bolts and connectors spare, so they also messed up over supplying parts too.

Upvote 0
I have been following the photo's in the product page, just to get an idea. It's not too hard to understand but still, a couple of line drawings wouldn't go astray. I did see your sketches, they are great. Will have a look in more detail tomorrow. Right now, I just want to see the seat mounted. I will have to use the monitor stand pieces but that's OK. I am also missing my cord tides, and who knows if I actually got those 6 extra corner brackets I ordered for the V3 mount. I can't tell if they are here or are just spares from a normal kit.

To say I am disappointed would be a fair statement.

Upvote 0
I have been following the photo's in the product page, just to get an idea. It's not too hard to understand but still, a couple of line drawings wouldn't go astray. I did see your sketches, they are great. Will have a look in more detail tomorrow. Right now, I just want to see the seat mounted. I will have to use the monitor stand pieces but that's OK. I am also missing my cord tides, and who knows if I actually got those 6 extra corner brackets I ordered for the V3 mount. I can't tell if they are here or are just spares from a normal kit.

To say I am disappointed would be a fair statement.
Ah, that's a shame mate. Try to ID what's missing if you can and ask Sim Lab to send the bits ASAP. I know they're mad busy right now but I do believe they'll want to put it right as quickly as possible (and maybe offer some compensation or freebies too).

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea