1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim displays like the Mclaren PCU-8D?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Cloudini5, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Hi RD.
    i was curious if there was an Sim display replica like the SLI-F1 wich is an replica of the PCU-6D but instead of the PCU-6D the New F1 Display PCU-8D.

ive already tried searching the forum before actually make this thread and came across someone who is making an Mercedes W05 Steering wheel replica and found that this Display was suggested : http://www.lcdinfo.com/products/usbd480-wq43.html

however as like the PCU8D the Rev lights and warning lights are not shown on Display but are surrounded arround the original Oled Display,
    does anybody know if there is some company like Leo-bodnar for example who has plans of making such replica ?

looking out for the replies

2. You could use the Pro Shift board from SymProjects to handle the leds alongside the USB480.

And the McLaren site has a diagram for the 8D with sizes, so you could have a go at making something from acrylic.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Im also starting to build my formula wheel, Is possible to use this screen to work with z1 dasboard and only by usb connection?

3.5 inch TFT LCD Touch Screen
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  4. I think the USB is only for the touchscreen. The screen receives the display info from the pins that plug into the Arduino.
  5. Hi Mark_McQ

The pro-shift wont be able to work together with an lcd screen, as it support up till 16 leds, as the mclaren displays has 21 leds,

Next to that, a combination of leds and button/rotary/potentiometers would be awesome, sort of an sli-f1 without the digits, but assigning 1 rotary switch to select true different screen layouts.

I wonder is this has not been thaught over already as the new f1 display is now 2 years old

6. I just came across this

His youtube account goes by the name mrfurries, anyone knows him, his contact info or any info about this project ? I wonder if it also has button/rotary inputs,?

7. I believe the most inexpensive and easy way is to adapt a cell phone behind the wheel and use the dashmeter . I'll start a project with a mobile soon. I intend to use as a base wheel sold by a Brazilian company . I have modified one of them using the display of simdisplay and liked the results .
    Here is the video:

This is the wheel:
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. 100$ for that wheel, Damn thats cheap.
  9. stuur_voor.jpg I'm just in the middle of a DIY formula wheel wich includes a 3,5" smartphone.
    Here are some early sketches.

When the project is finished i make a proper thread for it here.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  10. hey, nice project going on, anyway they arent like the real mclaren PCU8D display, im sort of looking for a 1 on 1 display like that, to make 2014/15/16 F1 replica rims. now the youtube vid i posted a few posts above is something that is as close as i have found, that thing is almost in release status as the guy behind that video says, but he does not have any website or project updates on the internet. so pretty much no info...
  11. DaVeX↯

Premium Member

Sorry guys, can't be used a 3.5" monitor as secondary pc screen?
    You just need a Screen Controller Board, 3.5" screen, some wiring and here you go...
    Something like this, maybe?

I tryed to buy a swe27 some month ago but they don't ship to italy (or I have to pay it double price fdue to expedition taxes).
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  12. James Robertson

James Robertson
    Premium Member

I have made a start on modeling the McLaren display. I will have to open up my Z1 and see if its going to be feasible to use the lcd in the McLaren display.
    [​IMG]2016-04-10 by jamesscotland73, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  13. this is mine made in abs with my 3d printer [​IMG] fully working
    @James Robertson we have the same ideas lol:laugh:
    • Love Love x 1
  14. DaVeX↯

Premium Member

Wich screen have been mounted?how it works?
  15. the screen is the usbd480 posted by @Cloudini5 at the start, is the same monitor used for Z1 and G-Force.
  16. now that is something i want to have !!!
  17. Hello, is that you can make one for me I bought you
  18. Great work Zizza17! :)
    I wondered if you would mind to share the CAD file you made for this display, as I am not experienced in working with 3D modeling, but going to make my second F1 wheel replica.
    I already saw the display by Mrfurries, I am very excited if and when it is officially going to be released.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  19. James Robertson

James Robertson
    Premium Member

Hi Cloudini5, do you have any more pictures of the enclosure, would love to see them.

20. I think the Siminstruments Dash 2.0 will be very close to a ready-to-use PCU8D-like thingy with its vertical Flagge LEDs and the LCD screen.