Sidekick

Apps Sidekick 1.11.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
Wohoo! Sounds like an awesome update, thanks Topuz! :thumbsup:

I had an idea. Was driving a manual turbo charge car and thought maybe at the end between the tyre info and DRS (on the grey bit) there could maybe fit 10 small vertical placement rectangle boxes that lit up as you step up the turbo percentage. 10%-100%.

I know you dont want to clutter this one and i agree with that. You already have the Essential, but small things that can be added that doesnt need you to change the layout or size could maybe be an idea. :) I was about to photoshop the idea to show it off to you. Ill do that and see for myself if it looks bad or not. But its just an idea and not something i require or feel sad if you say no. ;)

This app is so good that i have eliminated everything else. So nice to have a clutter free screen and still have EVERYTHING. Thanks again Topuz for all the hard work.

EDIT: GIF. I just added a frame (bar) at the right beside the tire pressure with 10 blips to showcase. Funny thing it fits 10x3pix inside of it. :) Color/style can be changed. Since turbo isnt so important that it needs numbers, a small bar with blips per 10% is enough to understand imo. Could turn red when at 100% maybe. Just an idea mate.

turbo2.gif

Last edited:
Wohoo! Sounds like an awesome update, thanks Topuz! :thumbsup:

I had an idea. Was driving a manual turbo charge car and thought maybe at the end between the tyre info and DRS (on the grey bit) there could maybe fit 10 small vertical placement rectangle boxes that lit up as you step up the turbo percentage. 10%-100%.

I know you dont want to clutter this one and i agree with that. You already have the Essential, but small things that can be added that doesnt need you to change the layout or size could maybe be an idea. :) I was about to photoshop the idea to show it off to you. Ill do that and see for myself if it looks bad or not. But its just an idea and not something i require or feel sad if you say no. ;)

This app is so good that i have eliminated everything else. So nice to have a clutter free screen and still have EVERYTHING. Thanks again Topuz for all the hard work.

EDIT: GIF. I just added a frame (bar) at the right beside the tire pressure with 10 blips to showcase. Funny thing it fits 10x3pix inside of it. :) Color/style can be changed. Since turbo isnt so important that it needs numbers, a small bar with blips per 10% is enough to understand imo. Could turn red when at 100% maybe. Just an idea mate.

View attachment 144580
This idea in particular is not possible right now, since AC doesn't report turbo boost settings to third party apps. I already thought about using that space in some way, but in the end decided against it since it's so tiny it probably wouldn't be visible enough and only create additional clutter as you said.

This idea in particular is not possible right now, since AC doesn't report turbo boost settings to third party apps. I already thought about using that space in some way, but in the end decided against it since it's so tiny it probably wouldn't be visible enough and only create additional clutter as you said.
Ah right. Oh well. It was just an idea mate. ;)

EDIT: Also, thanks a lot for the update! The RPM on each car seems to work perfectly. You make the sim even better. Thanks.

Last edited:
I thought of something else (that you prolly already thought of too and know it doesnt work, lol), but is it possible to somehow tap into each car and the placement for the Sidekick app so that it change its position on the screen dependant on car? With F1 i need it higher up and with GT3 i need it further down etc. Not hard to change, but neat feature if it was possible. Maybe click the edge of it to save its position or maybe being saved when hitting the sticky pin.

Prolly not possible or maybe too much work.

I got another suggestion, if I can: giving the chance to make info sections loop (or at least the tires or fuel ones).
While driving is difficult to operate, but this way every x seconds I could see the info I need without moving the hands from the steering wheel or having to enable the much bigger Race Essentials.

I just dowloaded the app yesterday evening and tested it off- and online.
Many qualities in this new app, Topuz, compared to Race Essentials ( I also liked but, as already mentioned in that thread with too much and too little info for a little space on screen. )

Much impressed by SideKick on the contrary ! :thumbsup:

I just noticed some strange points:
- delta with the personal best: ... comparing the lap time with ... your own saved by app laptimes, not taking into account the personal best ones of the previous sessions before installing the app
- some strange displays for the number of laps possible with the remaining fuel ... ( Ptracker is always right while the app displayed not correct data )
- your new system is impressive .... but maybe not perfect for some cars: example with the Mazda MX5-Cup ... giving red lights for a certain moment for higher gear too early.
Shouldn't it be the fact that the gearbox has no settings possible ?? ... for example at Vallelunga extend circuit: the app shows a 6th gear needed in the longest straight while the 5th is enough and passing the 6th gives too low revs for it !.

I'll test it for a longer time this evening in an Open Championship race. ;)

NB: I must say Blame73's suggestion is a very good idea ... if possible of course.
It should be very easy for the driver in race ... but ... maybe not for you ? ( and impossible for me for sure ! :roflmao: ).

Thanks for this app promised to a finest future ! :thumbsup:

I thought of something else (that you prolly already thought of too and know it doesnt work, lol), but is it possible to somehow tap into each car and the placement for the Sidekick app so that it change its position on the screen dependant on car? With F1 i need it higher up and with GT3 i need it further down etc. Not hard to change, but neat feature if it was possible. Maybe click the edge of it to save its position or maybe being saved when hitting the sticky pin.

Prolly not possible or maybe too much work.
It is possible, but I'm not entirely convinced it's something I'd like in the app. Maybe, I don't know, I'll have to give it a try.
I got another suggestion, if I can: giving the chance to make info sections loop (or at least the tires or fuel ones).
While driving is difficult to operate, but this way every x seconds I could see the info I need without moving the hands from the steering wheel or having to enable the much bigger Race Essentials.
You do know that you can map Alt + A and Alt + S to the steering wheel and switch through the available data extremely quickly that way? :) To be honest, I never really expected anyone to struggle pressing Alt + A or Alt + S on the keyboard in the middle of a race. With a bit of practice, switching it from the wheel is extremely quick and efficient. Auto looping opens up a world of potential problems. Here are just some: which sections to loop, what data to loop inside them, how quickly to loop, should they all loop together or successively, should it be session type dependent... And probably the biggest problem (which kind of defeats the purpose of this idea) is that you'll have about 1/n chance to actually see the data you'd like at a certain point. Say you want to see tyre temps, and the data is looped wear-temp-press-ideal. Obviously, your eyes are not non-stop on the app, and if the looping has just switched to pressures, you'd need to wait until it goes over ideal, then wear, and back to temp. It would really be a mess and most likely a distraction rather than help.
I just dowloaded the app yesterday evening and tested it off- and online.
Many qualities in this new app, Topuz, compared to Race Essentials ( I also liked but, as already mentioned in that thread with too much and too little info for a little space on screen. )

Much impressed by SideKick on the contrary ! :thumbsup:

I just noticed some strange points:
- delta with the personal best: ... comparing the lap time with ... your own saved by app laptimes, not taking into account the personal best ones of the previous sessions before installing the app
- some strange displays for the number of laps possible with the remaining fuel ... ( Ptracker is always right while the app displayed not correct data )
- your new system is impressive .... but maybe not perfect for some cars: example with the Mazda MX5-Cup ... giving red lights for a certain moment for higher gear too early.
Shouldn't it be the fact that the gearbox has no settings possible ?? ... for example at Vallelunga extend circuit: the app shows a 6th gear needed in the longest straight while the 5th is enough and passing the 6th gives too low revs for it !.

I'll test it for a longer time this evening in an Open Championship race. ;)

NB: I must say Blame73's suggestion is a very good idea ... if possible of course.
It should be very easy for the driver in race ... but ... maybe not for you ? ( and impossible for me for sure ! :roflmao: ).

Thanks for this app promised to a finest future ! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the extensive impressions, it's much appreciated. :) I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean in some questions but I'll try my best.
First point, you're asking why I'm not comparing the lap times with previously set ones, before you installed the app, am I right? If so, it's not possible unfortunately. AC is not providing the necessary data.
Regarding fuel, please provide the track/car combo so I can try to reproduce the problem.
About the lights, it's a bit complex. When you look at the MX-5 cup power/torque graph, you can see that the engine reaches max power at 6000 rpm and drops quite symmetrically after that. By default, the app triggers red shift light when you're past that point, in this case 6000rpm. What this means is that if you keep pushing in current gear, the power output is actually dropping. However, depending on the gear ratios and how quickly the power drops after peak it may be useful not to shift immediately at the red light, but a bit after it, because if you shift immediately at the red light you may end up in lower power band than you would be in if you kept pushing. The Tatuus is a good example, it reaches max power at 5500rpm, but stays almost flat after that. In this case, you really want to stretch out your shifts and do it well after red light. On the other hand, SF15-T has a dramatic drop in power after 10500rpm which means you should be shifting instantly on the red light. That's why it can be useful to check the power graph for the car you're going to drive. Oh, and there's also a redLimitPowerPercentage parameter in config.ini. It's set to 1 by default, which means the app will trigger the red shift light exactly at max power rpm. You can change this to something like 1.02 - 1.05 if you want to delay it slightly, but again, this will make you shift improperly in cars like SF15-T. Phew, as I said, it's complex, but hopefully this makes some sense.
Nice work.But how can I make it larger? It's a little small on my screen.
There's a config.ini file where you can set up scaling. Please read the FAQ next time.

You do know that you can map Alt + A and Alt + S to the steering wheel and switch through the available data extremely quickly that way? :) To be honest, I never really expected anyone to struggle pressing Alt + A or Alt + S on the keyboard in the middle of a race. With a bit of practice, switching it from the wheel is extremely quick and efficient. Auto looping opens up a world of potential problems. Here are just some: which sections to loop, what data to loop inside them, how quickly to loop, should they all loop together or successively, should it be session type dependent... And probably the biggest problem (which kind of defeats the purpose of this idea) is that you'll have about 1/n chance to actually see the data you'd like at a certain point. Say you want to see tyre temps, and the data is looped wear-temp-press-ideal. Obviously, your eyes are not non-stop on the app, and if the looping has just switched to pressures, you'd need to wait until it goes over ideal, then wear, and back to temp. It would really be a mess and most likely a distraction rather than help.

Thanks for replying Topuz. Of course I know I can map keyborads commands to the steering wheel. I use JoyToKey for that. It is just that also because of me using the Oculus Rift, my wheel's buttons are already assigned and using the button box is not that easy.
It would have been an easy (for me, of course) workaround.
Thanks anyway, I appreciate the work you're doing

First point, you're asking why I'm not comparing the lap times with previously set ones, before you installed the app, am I right? If so, it's not possible unfortunately. AC is not providing the necessary data.

Just for info, what's the content of the Documents\Assetto Corsa\ctelemetry\player\xxxx.TC files ?
Isn't it there where those best laps are stored ?

Just for info, what's the content of the Documents\Assetto Corsa\ctelemetry\player\xxxx.TC files ?
Isn't it there where those best laps are stored ?
I have no idea to be honest. I've just had a look and they seem to be encrypted. Without getting too much into technicalities, even if they were readable it's unlikely I would be able to extract any useful data from them. Maybe for simple delta on crossing the finish line, but no way for realtime delta.

Thanks for replying Topuz. Of course I know I can map keyborads commands to the steering wheel. I use JoyToKey for that. It is just that also because of me using the Oculus Rift, my wheel's buttons are already assigned and using the button box is not that easy.
It would have been an easy (for me, of course) workaround.
Thanks anyway, I appreciate the work you're doing
I gave the same suggestion in the review part. I noticed a lot of friends have wheels with very little buttons and so they dont want to use Sidekick. I thought that was a shame cause its so good and an INI setting where fuel/tires/lap-pos is changing automatically every couple seconds would make it more accessible to those that dont have the buttons for it.

And like i said in my review, i dont need it personally since i have the buttons and it works very well, but i heard people around me that would love that function. :)

"Awesome new rpm lights!" was in the previous update changelog. I still dont get what this is? RPM frame (orange/red) seems the same. Was this a copy/paste mishap from Essential?

What about syncing/sharing laptimes between Sidekick and RaceEccentials?
I thought PB's was universal to both? Like drop them into eachothers PB folder and they are "shared". I only use Sidekick so not sure. But seems easy enough to just copy paste if that works.

"Awesome new rpm lights!" was in the previous update changelog. I still dont get what this is? RPM frame (orange/red) seems the same. Was this a copy/paste mishap from Essential?
Check the FAQ, there's a detailed explanation.
I thought PB's was universal to both? Like drop them into eachothers PB folder and they are "shared". I only use Sidekick so not sure. But seems easy enough to just copy paste if that works.
Exactly, they're interchangeable.

Tested yesterday for a Championship race .... and no problem, everything was OK.
I don't know why errors occured at my 1st tries with the previewed possible laps with the remaining quantity of fuel .... but it was OK.

So .... tested, approved and adopted for good.

Really a must have App for those who don't like too much on screen when driving in a race.
A perfect summary of what's needed. :thumbsup:

Check the FAQ, there's a detailed explanation.
Ok so its more about how they react to the RPM rather than "new shift lights". I checked the "image" folder and i saw no new shift lights images. I thought there was another style of lights graphically. Sounds like it from the wording.

this app is excellent. but it has an impact on FPS on my computer. It seem to lower FPS by at least 10 FPS when it's a lot of opponents on track. I wonder if its possible to look into that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back