Several beginner questions regarding GTR2

Hello, I am new to GTR2, I am coming from AC, because my PC cannot handle the AI races there and I wanted a better experience, so I've got some basic to not so basic questions.
1. What are some good controller settings (yes, I am a sinner for playing on a Xbox One controller :D )
2. Can you 'force' cars to use ABS even if the car doesn't have one? I know that such option exists in AC.
3. How to change the track name that is displayed in the circuit list? For example I want to have `Mont Tremblant 2012` instead of '12_MontTremblantCh'
4. Any way to get vibration for the controller?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
1. You can try the different SHOVAS FFB styles via HQ patch GTR2_SETUP.CMD : test each of them and keep the one you prefer

4. not tested myself as I do not own such gamepad but many people reported this as working :

2. ABS availability depends on 2 factors :
- main profile setting where it is available in both BEGINNER and SEMI-PRO but not in SIMULATION

- car physics own setup via HDC file under [CONTROLS] : to be enabled you must have the lines ABS4Wheel=1.0
ABSGrip=(1.00, 0.20)
ABSLevel=(0.30, 0.90)

1. You can try the different SHOVAS FFB styles via HQ patch GTR2_SETUP.CMD : test each of them and keep the one you prefer

4. not tested myself as I do not own such gamepad but many people reported this as working :

- main profile setting where it is available in both BEGINNER and SEMI-PRO but not in SIMULATION

- car physics own setup via HDC file under [CONTROLS] : to be enabled you must have the lines ABS4Wheel=1.0
ABSGrip=(1.00, 0.20)
ABSLevel=(0.30, 0.90)
do the FFB styles also affect the gamepad? I thought it is only steering wheel related

I don't think the FFB tweaks will help in your case.

I totally recommend getting a wheel, though. I started out on gamepads and wheels are mind-expanding :)
I would totally get a wheel, but I am not so much of a sim racer to invest in a sim setup (even the cheapest), I am more of a casual gamer so I stick to the controller for now :D

ABSGrip=(1.00, 0.20)
ABSLevel=(0.30, 0.90)
I tried the rumble ffb effects for Automobilista, but unfortunately the install process differs a bit for GTR2, and I couldn't reproduce some of the steps that were game-specific, and so far it doesn't work unfortunately. Any ideas on how to adapt the install process for GTR2?

yes I forgot to tell you how :
- you MUST choose DIGITAL version of gtr2.exe in my hq anniversary patch GTR2_SETUP.CMD because it will never work with dvd/nocd exe
- you need to install AMS GID fazerbox plugin adapted to gtr2 by bjarne here :
The most important is to have d3d9.dll in same folder as gtr2.exe then drop xbox ini file in \plugins folder and it should work in theory, as said I do not own such controller so I just cannot test myself.

Both AMS and GTR2 share rfactor code so if plugin works in AMS then there are high chances that it works in GTR2 too.
Maybe CrewChief plugin can also make xbox ini plugin works too and maybe @The Iron Wolf can include it too ???

Last edited:
yes I forgot to tell you how :
- you MUST choose DIGITAL version of gtr2.exe in my hq anniversary patch GTR2_SETUP.CMD because it will never work with dvd/nocd exe
- you need to install AMS GID fazerbox plugin adapted to gtr2 by bjarne here :
The most important is to have d3d9.dll in same folder as gtr2.exe then drop xbox ini file in \plugins folder and it should work in theory, as said I do not own such controller so I just cannot test myself.

Both AMS and GTR2 share rfactor code so if plugin works in AMS then there are high chances that it works in GTR2 too.
Maybe CrewChief plugin can also make xbox ini plugin works too and maybe @The Iron Wolf can include it too ???
Unfortunately, I still cannot get it working, neither the AMS GID fazerbox or rumble effects work, I tried to install everything from scratch several times already, but it simply doesn't work. But thank you very much for your help :)
P.S my CrewChief plugin is working perfectly though, I already had it and the HQ Anniversary patch installed

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea