Season 10 - Fun races before season start

Here are my qualy and race setups from last event, just in case anyone's curious.

I tell you I have no clue in making setups. ;) However the qualy setup sometimes made me do high 1:38's and the race setup felt good to handle for those 14 laps. I used wings 16/22 and I increased engine brake mapping from 2 to 4.

Reik, what software do you use to open the .svm file and modify it?? I've tried with fileviewpro (free version) and i am not able. I'm sure this helps the driving but that's something not everyone can do.

Thanks

Steeve

Weather: It's time to test how F3000 can handle different weather conditions. I would prefer our next fun event to have at least the whole scale of rain from heaviest possible storm to light rain, but also dry moments.

Weather: Ordered from Daniel: half a race dry, half a race wet with both light rain and really heavy rain

That could be fixed. I can also do random if that is decided. No problems :)

Ok, so it looks like our next event schedule is following:

Fun race 2 - 16th of January - Istanbul

Schedule (All times are British Time):

19:30 Free Practise
20:30 3 Practise Starts + Pit Stop Test
20:40 Qualifying (Superpole)
20:45 Warmup
20:51 Race (Duration: 2 x 22 minutes, reversed grid for Race 2)

In practice this is official PrestoGP times + ½ hour.

The event will be driven in changing weather conditions with some rain :)

What weather do you want?
It seems that many of you want to have some rain. For the first or the second race? Or for both? Or "unknown", but I say that it is going to be rain sometime during the event?

I think most of us don't want to know in advance when the rain comes, so "unknown" sounds good. And I agree with what Nico said in post #91, but I'll give you a free hand in this regard... :)

As my rain experience is very very limited, whats the strategie? Stay on slick or change to wet tyres??

Compare to dry surface, about how many meters earlier should i brake? I knoe its tough to answer that question but..... is it MUCH earlier or just a bit?

Thanks for help :)

Steeve

Trying it on the track goes much faster than trying to calculate a number by somehow putting speed, current grip-lvl and brake torque ect. into a complicated formula just to answer that question :D

Rain (in this game) is just less % of grip due to a certain % of rain intensity.

As my rain experience is very very limited, whats the strategie? Stay on slick or change to wet tyres??

That's why rain is always interesting, it depends mostly on your feelings. Sometimes you can stay with slicks, sometimes not. The easiest to manage is when rain has stopped and the track is drying : just check tire temp and you'll know when change is necessary. When race starts in the rain, people who have telemetry are usually giving the others the % rain intensity : that could give you an hint on what tires to start the race (there's a graph somewhere to help you choose).

Compare to dry surface, about how many meters earlier should i brake? I knoe its tough to answer that question but..... is it MUCH earlier or just a bit?

I also don't have too vast experience in wet with F3000, but I suggest you take a race event with AI drivers and set weather as heavy rain and try both slicks and wet tyres. I think braking with wets is usually only something like 5-20% (depending how hard rain) earlier than in dry, but with slicks at wet surface a lot earlier :) It's actually quite fun to drive slicks on wet surface.

Major key is not to lock tyres. Once they get locked, your distance gets mutch longer. So the challenge is to find the right amount of brake pressure you apply to the pedal. At high speeds you may be able to apply more pressure, because the downforce gives you (and your tyres) more grip.

Another thing is to stricktly stay on the racing line. It has more grip, especially when the track is drying! You may be forced to change to slicks, simply because the wets get cooked on the dry racing line but the rest of the track could still be wet and very slippery!

One more hint for Steeve (and other new guys):
We use no speed limit in the pits, but the limiter engages automatically when crossing the entry line. So you need to apply a button to the wheel to disengage it after crossing the line. Of course you must be aware of where your pit spot is located. You get the final position of this spot when you enter the event (practice session), so you should practice entering the pits and your spot a few times in the pratice or warmup session. NOTE: Cars can't collide with each other in the pits, but before end after the entry/exit lines.

Here's a vid to demonstrate our pitting procedure with no speed limit (using the F1)...

Password for this evening's race is: Thor

Fun race 2 - 16th of January - Istanbul

Schedule (All times are British Time):

19:30 Free Practise
20:30 3 Practise Starts + Pit Stop Test
20:40 Qualifying (Superpole)
20:45 Warmup
20:51 Race (Duration: 2 x 22 minutes, reversed grid for Race 2)

In practice this is official PrestoGP times + ½ hour.

The event will be driven in changing weather conditions with some rain :)

See you on track!

Password: Thor

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes