rFactor 2 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot 3.jpg

rFactor 2 has today received another new update, adding several fixes as well as the long awaited support for multiple GPUs...

Studio 397 have been hard at work bringing both large and small updates to the title on a regular basis since introducing the substantial DX11 and Virtual Reality update back in April, and now another new update is available for immediate download, and it contains plenty of interesting fixes and additions.

Noteworthy for the majority of players will be the seemining innocuous real road shader artifacts updated, with should give a little visual boost to the title, plus a very welcome addition of controller profiles for several key Fanatec products.

July 6th Build Update Notes:
  • Fixed artifacts on old real road shader.
  • Fixed screen capture in TTool.
  • Fixed multiple controller profiles so JOY1 is default controller mapping....
  • Added controller profiles for Fanatec wheels: Fanatec CSW v2.5, Fanatec CSW v2, Fanatec CSR Elite, Fanatec CSL XBOX, Fanatec CSL PS4.
  • Added support for mulit-gpus and multi-monitor selection, available via drop downs in Laucher config.
  • VR Added re-center view now assignable to a key (default is Backspace).
  • VR Fixed Track loading screen.
  • Lower input latency

To give you a quick catch up on what's happened behind the scenes these past few weeks, check out the more recent update notes below -

19/06/2017 Build ID : 1899371
  • Fixed: VR trackside cameras.
  • Fixed: VR Showroom is now rendering properly.
  • Fixed VR Monitor and replay working in-game.
  • Fixed: Multi-monitor selection now available.
  • Fixed: Minor issues with UI font.
  • Fixed: AI way-points now show in Dev Mode.
  • Fixed: Zoom and out of focus elements in track-side cameras when in multi-view mode. (Triple screen)
  • Fixed: Focus on UI elements in Viewer.exe
  • Fixed: Real Road rendering issues.
  • Added: Brand New High resolution “Hangar” style showroom to better showcase cars.
  • Added: VR Improvements to the Post processing effects by disabling the Depth-of-Field.
  • Updated: Minor performance and video memory improvements.
  • Updated: Showroom post process preset.
  • Updated: The graphics engine now renders ambient shadows while in the showroom.

21/06/2017 Build ID : 1905199
  • VR : Fixed issue with scene rendering
  • VR : Fixed issue with Onscreen names and black UI screen
  • VR : Disabled head tracking in monitor mode
  • Fixed dual gpu integrated/dedicated issue

27/06/2017 Build ID : 1915820
  • VR : Improved UI and loading screen
  • Performance improvements
  • Improved multiview gizmo
  • Fixed reflections displaying wrong dynamic objects
  • Improved font system cache

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot 2.jpg
rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot.jpg
rFactor 2 Update - RoWo Screenshot.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Tried the new update yet? Please with the progress so far? Happy with the direction of rF2 since the big DX11 / VR update? Let us know in the comments section below!

Picture credits - jayarrbee36 and RoWo

Last edited:
I disagree with William Wester 100%. With Nvidia Inspector, I have all my games crystal clear & they weren't before I tried it. Even NR 2003 is so clear, it's like DX9, NO sparklys on anything & it's all because of Nvidia Insp. You just have to play around with it. Here's a link, over at NoGrip Racing, DurgeDriven shows pictures of his settings in Nvidia Insp. which I copied & a few I changed. You just have to experiment. It's really awsome how it clears up a game. try It. https://postimg.org/image/6p6ujgyff/

Are you using it for rF2? Yes, all other titles except rF2 work great with Inspector (or AMD equivalent). Video card control over rF2 has never worked 100% for me--there is always some issues that accompany the benefits, which is why the official line is not to use external settings. Some of the external settings won't work on rF2 on my rig.

@Paul Jeffrey To be a pendant the first update was May 1st not in April :p

I'm a VR guy and the biggest expense is not the goggles (when compared to price of triple screens), but cost of graphics card and CPU. You need at least a 1070 for good frame rates (unless you like getting sick) and a good CPU. Those two account for a majority of the cost. That being said i'm totally underwhelmed by the VR in rfactor2. The colors are pale and it hasn't come around yet. Still hoping there's more.

FYI That's incorrect information, VR can run on lower GPUs just fine (I have a GTX970) and with ASW I & others can run perfectly fine at 45fps without nausea in many Sim both Race & Flight.

QUESTION: Will multi GPU work for VR? I have one 1080ti but if I can dial things up will add a second? Anyone at 397 can answer please? Thank you for great updates

Multi GPU is not supported in VR just yet. Not sure when, or even if, they are considering adding support. I'd rather see the tech that they were pushing when launching the 10 series of cards. Where VR rendering efficiency is doubled by not having to render each eye individually. Effectively this would give you the same result as running dual cards with the current render method. Knowing Nvidia as I do, they will add dual card support WAY before offering us double performance with a free update. Even though they, you know, advertised the tech to sell cards that actually don't even use it yet.

Oh, Nvidia.

My understanding of VR multi GPU support is that it is available, just not used by developers.

There are technical reasons why standard SLI cannot be used but nVidia developed a form of SLI specifically for VR. It effectively assigns one GPU to each eye.

The issue is it has to be developed for specifically by the game developer and, I guess, they just don't see the extra development time as worth it.

https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/vrsli

For me AMS has surpassed rF2 bigtime. Especially the bumps in the tracks are done very well which makes car handling a challenge. I wás very exited to see the radical entering rF2 but after one lap i started AMS again. DX11 and VR mean nothing to me.
I'll have to disagree with you on that one: I can't comment on VR, as I don't have it, but since rF2 has implemented DX11, AMS just looks sh*t in comparison, at least on my system.
In AMS I can't get rid of all the white lines being dotted instead of smooth, no matter what I do. and the FFB is better in rF2 with my T300RS wheel. And no weather in AMS, and no nighttime at all. But, as ever, YMMV.....;)

Yep i have tick this one, but this change nothing, Rfactor2 and automobilista doesn't support natively the OSW rotation, as far as i know only Iracing and assetto corsa have it

Add DiRT Rally and pCars (?) into the list too so you can turn it upside down and to say, AMS and rF2 are the only titles where it does not work. :)

That's quite frustrating especially when the game has tendency to crash while Alt+Tabbing.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one: I can't comment on VR, as I don't have it, but since rF2 has implemented DX11, AMS just looks sh*t in comparison, at least on my system.
In AMS I can't get rid of all the white lines being dotted instead of smooth, no matter what I do. and the FFB is better in rF2 with my T300RS wheel. And no weather in AMS, and no nighttime at all. But, as ever, YMMV.....;)
Mostly agree, though I would not be so harsh on the looks of AMS. It is at least acceptable, be it a bit cartoon like...
There is indeed no weather, but you can race at night if you want...

Btw: I installed rF2 Genk karting track and it is simply awesome. I can compare between my (long gone) 125 shifter days on that track (though the layout was a bit different those days) and the feel is spot on.
It realy looks life like and the immersion factor with the shifter karts is stunning.

Last edited:
Mostly agree, though I would not be so harsh on the looks of AMS. It is at least acceptable, be it a bit cartoon like...
There is indeed no weather, bit you can race at night if you want...

Btw: I installed rF2 Genk karting track and it is simply awesome. I can compare between my (long gone) 125 shifter days on that track (though the layout was a bit different those days) and the feel is spot on.
It really looks life like and the immersion factor with the shifter karts is stunning.
That's the main reason why I always come back to rF2: driving physics, FFB, and immersion, the feeling of really being there, and forgeting that I'm only sat behind a monitor. No other sim matches it, at least for me. Everybody says the rF2 demo is sh*t, but there was something about it that made me want to buy the full version, and I think it was the immersion factor :thumbsup:

Issue is fixed for the DX11 renderer. If you still have crashes/issues in DX11 with Alt-Tabbing. Hit the support button in the launcher.

As for OSW: OSW need to allow the game to change the degree of rotation.

Good, I haven't tried recent updates yet.

Your last point about OSW I don't get. It must be something about the way rF2 and AMS communicate with the hardware. I don't think that studios like Kunos (which doesn't have OSW/any DD wheel in house) have coded specific support for these wheels and DOR/softlock are still working as designed without a hassle. Using words "as designed" because the softlock is pretty much useless when the code behind it is way too simplistic (in AC).

The same goes for (triple) monitors. In some cars and some tracks pretty disturbing.
When using Lock to Horizon on triple, do you use it with the game wheel and hands on screen? I remember when I was playing on a projected screen, I was not using the in game wheel and hands and I found Lock to horizon a little disturbing then, because the car would move but my fixed real life wheel aligned to the cockpit view would not.
In VR, obviously I do not have that issue and lock to horizon is totally natural.

When using Lock to Horizon on triple, do you use it with the game wheel and hands on screen? I remember when I was playing on a projected screen, I was not using the in game wheel and hands and I found Lock to horizon a little disturbing then, because the car would move but my fixed real life wheel aligned to the cockpit view would not.
In VR, obviously I do not have that issue and lock to horizon is totally natural.
No, no wheel or hands. My real wheel covers the place where the virtual one would be, and I see most of the dash gauges.
You are right, horizon lock and the car moving is not perfect either. But I can live with that bit of rolling and moving up/down. But for some reason, I can not stand the horizon/world shaking while the cockpit is not moving.
I have been playing with about all configurations i can find (car cam files and other) but until now I did not succeed to keep the world still enough.
So far I succeeded in R3E, AC (using RHM only to freeze the horizon), pCars is a compromise, AMS still needs adjusting (even after Reiza has reset the cams after the last update).

No, no wheel or hands. My real wheel covers the place where the virtual one would be, and I see most of the dash gauges.
You are right, horizon lock and the car moving is not perfect either. But I can live with that bit of rolling and moving up/down. But for some reason, I can not stand the horizon/world shaking while the cockpit is not moving.
I have been playing with about all configurations i can find (car cam files and other) but until now I did not succeed to keep the world still enough.
So far I succeeded in R3E, AC (using RHM only to freeze the horizon), pCars is a compromise, AMS still needs adjusting (even after Reiza has reset the cams after the last update).

In PCars, this how to set it, you need to go under camera movement options, change all settings 0. Under virtual reality settings change world movement and g-force effect to 0.
In VR it works just fine, I have no experience trying it using triple.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back