rFactor 2 Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot 3.jpg

rFactor 2 has today received another new update, adding several fixes as well as the long awaited support for multiple GPUs...

Studio 397 have been hard at work bringing both large and small updates to the title on a regular basis since introducing the substantial DX11 and Virtual Reality update back in April, and now another new update is available for immediate download, and it contains plenty of interesting fixes and additions.

Noteworthy for the majority of players will be the seemining innocuous real road shader artifacts updated, with should give a little visual boost to the title, plus a very welcome addition of controller profiles for several key Fanatec products.

July 6th Build Update Notes:
  • Fixed artifacts on old real road shader.
  • Fixed screen capture in TTool.
  • Fixed multiple controller profiles so JOY1 is default controller mapping....
  • Added controller profiles for Fanatec wheels: Fanatec CSW v2.5, Fanatec CSW v2, Fanatec CSR Elite, Fanatec CSL XBOX, Fanatec CSL PS4.
  • Added support for mulit-gpus and multi-monitor selection, available via drop downs in Laucher config.
  • VR Added re-center view now assignable to a key (default is Backspace).
  • VR Fixed Track loading screen.
  • Lower input latency

To give you a quick catch up on what's happened behind the scenes these past few weeks, check out the more recent update notes below -

19/06/2017 Build ID : 1899371
  • Fixed: VR trackside cameras.
  • Fixed: VR Showroom is now rendering properly.
  • Fixed VR Monitor and replay working in-game.
  • Fixed: Multi-monitor selection now available.
  • Fixed: Minor issues with UI font.
  • Fixed: AI way-points now show in Dev Mode.
  • Fixed: Zoom and out of focus elements in track-side cameras when in multi-view mode. (Triple screen)
  • Fixed: Focus on UI elements in Viewer.exe
  • Fixed: Real Road rendering issues.
  • Added: Brand New High resolution “Hangar” style showroom to better showcase cars.
  • Added: VR Improvements to the Post processing effects by disabling the Depth-of-Field.
  • Updated: Minor performance and video memory improvements.
  • Updated: Showroom post process preset.
  • Updated: The graphics engine now renders ambient shadows while in the showroom.

21/06/2017 Build ID : 1905199
  • VR : Fixed issue with scene rendering
  • VR : Fixed issue with Onscreen names and black UI screen
  • VR : Disabled head tracking in monitor mode
  • Fixed dual gpu integrated/dedicated issue

27/06/2017 Build ID : 1915820
  • VR : Improved UI and loading screen
  • Performance improvements
  • Improved multiview gizmo
  • Fixed reflections displaying wrong dynamic objects
  • Improved font system cache

rFactor 2 can be purchased from the Steam platform right now and is available exclusively for PC.

rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot 2.jpg
rFactor 2 Update - jayarrbee36 Screenshot.jpg
rFactor 2 Update - RoWo Screenshot.jpg

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now and share the love this simulation so very much deserves...

Tried the new update yet? Please with the progress so far? Happy with the direction of rF2 since the big DX11 / VR update? Let us know in the comments section below!

Picture credits - jayarrbee36 and RoWo

Last edited:
On the triples vs VR - Personally, I think VR is already a cheaper solution. When you add the cost of 3 decent monitors you get a higher price than an HMD. The performance probably isn't that much worse too. I constantly hear the horror stories and how you 'need' 1080GTX to get a decent performance. I got a 1060 here and so far had no slowdowns outside a single race club (the le mans race in rf2, where we had like 30 cars on the grid), and even then the problem went away once I dropped the graphics. Hell, in VR I don't even notice lower graphics settings, unless I specifically look for them. As compared to flat screen where low resolution textures and models always hit me right in the face.

Seems like exactly the same pace to me, in terms of actual, useful progress and content. Seriously, I thought we were going to have a working DX11 by the end of Q1 or beginning of May. That's what had been discussed since S397 took over. Where is the new UI? Content pace (and quality) seems the same as ISI--hit and miss.

Coding work never goes as quickly as anybody claims in their announcement. About the only sim developer that has been sort of on pace were Reiza, but even they are having to push out multiple bugfixes after a release.

Studio 397's open beta showed that a framework existed, but it really needed to be tested with a wider audience, hence the open beta. Soon, though, Europe traditionally goes on vacation and I suspect not much will get done for the month after the release of July's progress report. I have no inside knowledge, but I kind of suspect the DX11 beta will end on July 20 and we'll simultaneously get the new UI and, maybe, the graphic interface for plug-ins. Or not. :cautious:

Content releases sped up with Studio 397, but quality issues are the same as ISI, as if deadline pressures are causing staff to skip using a checklist before the release. New content releases as Studio 397:
  1. USF2000 release had graphic bugs & lacked features taken care of with 2 updates since 23 Nov 2016.
  2. GT500 Nissan has had 2 updates since 23 Dec 2016 release. Controversial cockpit sound balance remains implemented.
  3. NOLA has had 1 update since 28 Feb 2017 release for a reason I can't recall.
  4. Radical SR-3 RSX will need at least 1 update to add rain tires and fix graphical glitches plus the debut press event was poorly executed with time-scaled damage enabled on the server. Lefthand drive version has poor lateral balance and implementation of LHD version strangely required duplication of skins rather than it being done as a tuning option, no idea if that will be updated or "is correct".
Additional re-releases of content for DX11 came through during this time. Despite Marcel's good efforts to communicate, its not clear whether content not yet updated will get their needed updates or not. Communication is more disjointed these days because there is no media coordination between Discord or Steam or the official forum or the monthly status updates or even here on Race Department.

Interesting..I read some comparisons between the two and the Rift got better remarks for racing. I may do a triple screen set up next week, and order VR to see which I like more. I do wish they would give us some insight into whether new tech would be launching this year. Thanks!

I've read a couple articles about Facebook's plans/work on the Rift. They're target for releasing next gen headsets is late 2018.

Seems like exactly the same pace to me, in terms of actual, useful progress and content. Seriously, I thought we were going to have a working DX11 by the end of Q1 or beginning of May. That's what had been discussed since S397 took over. Where is the new UI? Content pace (and quality) seems the same as ISI--hit and miss.

I agree. When they launched the DX11 update, I was excited, and then quickly underwhelmed when I booted it up. A week ago, I loaded it up to see where things were and was happy to see that they'd improved things. I was having a great time for a few days. But then quickly realized that there isn't really much there. There's some great content, like the Formula Fanatic, and the GT3 class is fun. But the track content is a little weak. They've updated quite a few, but not enough tracks to really support the cars in the faster classes. They need to put out more GP content.

Interesting..I read some comparisons between the two and the Rift got better remarks for racing. I may do a triple screen set up next week, and order VR to see which I like more. I do wish they would give us some insight into whether new tech would be launching this year. Thanks!
Hi, so a quick update here. I was originally going to buy 3 monitors, but I ended up ordering a Rift. I used the dev tool to edit the supersampling to 2.0, but I don't feel like the resolution is quite where it should be with Assetto. Project Cars appears to have a much better image for some reason. Would you possibly have any thoughts on where I could tweak the settings within AC? I'm using a GTX 1080ti, so I have the HP. Thanks in advance!

Congrats and welcome to the world of VR racing. :thumbsup:

Drop the Rift's dev tool back to 1.0 and increase the SS in the SteamVR settings. Try 1.6 and increase as desired. Also turn off the post processing in the AC settings. I'm away from my comp so that's all I can remember, but there's a lot of guides out there on getting the most of AC VR.

Did you get the sale on the CV1? You can get the HMD, touch controllers and an extra sensor all for $399 now.

Edit: There's also a tweak in Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\oculus.ini
I don't know if it's better to use this tweak or turn on SteamVR and do SS in there. Or if one overrides the other? That's something you'll have to experiment with and see what works best for you.
I haven't messed with this much because right now I prefer Race Room and rFactor2 in VR. Also Pcars looks awesome with open wheelers in the rain. I always show that one when introducing new people to VR. :geek:

Last edited:
Drop the Rift's dev tool back to 1.0 and increase the SS in the SteamVR settings

Personally I stay away from SteamVR if I can help it. I use the Oculus Tray Tool and while I have had to fiddle with it on occasion, it generally does a good job now that I know what to look out for. AC looks great for me at 1.5. I use in game AA at 2x, no Post Process and everything else fairly high. 1080Ti user also here.

I can run it at 2.0 but I haven't tested it with other cars yet. I think 1.5 gives more than enough headroom to maintain the 90fps, and also looks very very nice to me. VR is FANTASTIC and I can't believe I took so long to take the plunge.

Congrats and welcome to the world of VR racing. :thumbsup:

Drop the Rift's dev tool back to 1.0 and increase the SS in the SteamVR settings. Try 1.6 and increase as desired. Also turn off the post processing in the AC settings. I'm away from my comp so that's all I can remember, but there's a lot of guides out there on getting the most of AC VR.

Did you get the sale on the CV1? You can get the HMD, touch controllers and an extra sensor all for $399 now.

Edit: There's also a tweak in Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\oculus.ini
I don't know if it's better to use this tweak or turn on SteamVR and do SS in there. Or if one overrides the other? That's something you'll have to experiment with and see what works best for you.
I haven't messed with this much because right now I prefer Race Room and rFactor2 in VR. Also Pcars looks awesome with open wheelers in the rain. I always show that one when introducing new people to VR. :geek:
I did as you suggested. There was some improvement, but I don't feel as though AC is as optimized as Pcars, or even rFactor2 for that matter. While on the ring, the text paintings on the track seem to draw in extremely late, along with the guard rails. It's quite strange. I'm going to continue to tweak some settings here and there.
To answer your question, I didn't get the sale, but I think I could probably contact Best Buy to see if they could honor it!

Personally I stay away from SteamVR if I can help it. I use the Oculus Tray Tool and while I have had to fiddle with it on occasion, it generally does a good job now that I know what to look out for. AC looks great for me at 1.5. I use in game AA at 2x, no Post Process and everything else fairly high. 1080Ti user also here.

I can run it at 2.0 but I haven't tested it with other cars yet. I think 1.5 gives more than enough headroom to maintain the 90fps, and also looks very very nice to me. VR is FANTASTIC and I can't believe I took so long to take the plunge.

How does one go about running a game just on your headset? Is this possible, or will it automatically display on your monitor as well? I haven't played around with it enough, and I have looked online, but some people have the same issue, while others don't appear to. Thanks!

How does one go about running a game just on your headset?

Normally there is an option in the game/sim/software that you're running that is something like 'display mirror' or something to that effect. The mirror is what you're seeing in the rift but displayed on the screen. In AC, I think it's in the oculus.ini file. I disable this option every chance I get. I don't find it useful and I want all horsepower going to the rift not rendering a display I cannot see.

AC looks great at 2.0x. You just need to find the right balance of settings to maintain 90fps and still have some options turned up in the graphics settings. Generally people tend to increase pixel density over increase graphics options as to them it makes the most amount of difference. I tend to agree for the most part. No point having shadows on High when you're so distracted by shimmering lines and objects not appearing clear to notice how nice the shadows 'may' look. I run a 1080Ti so basically there's not much more I can do to allow myself the best experience at the moment. You just need to find the balance. A good place to start would be to set pixel density at 1.5, and then see how many graphics settings you can slowly enable while maintaining 90fps, starting with World Detail.

Normally there is an option in the game/sim/software that you're running that is something like 'display mirror' or something to that effect. The mirror is what you're seeing in the rift but displayed on the screen. In AC, I think it's in the oculus.ini file. I disable this option every chance I get. I don't find it useful and I want all horsepower going to the rift not rendering a display I cannot see.

AC looks great at 2.0x. You just need to find the right balance of settings to maintain 90fps and still have some options turned up in the graphics settings. Generally people tend to increase pixel density over increase graphics options as to them it makes the most amount of difference. I tend to agree for the most part. No point having shadows on High when you're so distracted by shimmering lines and objects not appearing clear to notice how nice the shadows 'may' look. I run a 1080Ti so basically there's not much more I can do to allow myself the best experience at the moment. You just need to find the balance. A good place to start would be to set pixel density at 1.5, and then see how many graphics settings you can slowly enable while maintaining 90fps, starting with World Detail.
Thanks for your post. I must be doing something completely wrong with my set up. I can't see FPS on-screen while using the Rift, nor can I see my windows desktop to launch games/programs. It's a constant battle to go back and forth from my desktop monitor to my headset. There must be something I'm missing here..

The Rift does not have native desktop mode, or a see through camera. You need to take the headset off to use your desktop out of the box. There are however some programs that bring the desktop to the Rift. I think I have one but I haven't tried it yet. It's called Space I think and it's free. There is one you can pay for in the Oculus store or Steam, or both, I can't remember. Check it out.

For FPS, you need to get Oculus tray tool. or use the dev tool, to display the Performance in the Rift. You get a graph and it shows the fps while you're using it. It's pretty intrusive (you'll see) and you only want to use it to find the settings to enable 90fps to stay locked. Once you're confident of that, don't use it like you would a normal FPS counter that just sits in the corner in Steam hardly noticeable.

The Rift does not have native desktop mode, or a see through camera. You need to take the headset off to use your desktop out of the box. There are however some programs that bring the desktop to the Rift. I think I have one but I haven't tried it yet. It's called Space I think and it's free. There is one you can pay for in the Oculus store or Steam, or both, I can't remember. Check it out.

I highly recommend BigScreen (on Steam), currently Free and a very good program for doing normal Desktop things on in VR. Great for watching movies and you can join Rooms with other people/friends and all watch stuff together whilst chatting (voice). Constantly getting updated and improved, try it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back