rFactor 2: Demo and Silverstone Released

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Last edited:
Tried the demo and I'm quite disappointed. The graphics aren't very impressive and the performance is quite poor too. Even when I attain 60 fps it does not feel fluid. The Corvette is too much of a chore to drive, very little grip or feedback. I'd much rather drive enduracers in rF1 to be honest, every aspect of it is better.

I like to be positive but this is my honest reaction to the demo too. I didn't really expect the graphics to be that good but the physics and force feedback were a huge disappointment.
The physics and force feed back are excellent... somethings wrong with your settings. The graphics and stuttering and poor performance mentioned in other posts yes I absolutely agree with them.

"...today our virtual recreation of the modern Silverstone Circuit is available for installation in both the newly launched demo version which is free-to-try"

The computer says naah... Demo won't install any additional content. If someone knows better, let me know you did it. I managed to get formula renault installed but it doesn't show up ingame. Silverstone is nowhere to be seen (copied the rfcmp or what ever to rFactor packages folder.) That corvette+limerock test gets boring after few hour and i'm gonna be using rF2 with open wheelers..

"...today our virtual recreation of the modern Silverstone Circuit is available for installation in both the newly launched demo version which is free-to-try"

The computer says naah... Demo won't install any additional content. If someone knows better, let me know you did it. I managed to get formula renault installed but it doesn't show up ingame. Silverstone is nowhere to be seen (copied the rfcmp or what ever to rFactor packages folder.) That corvette+limerock test gets boring after few hour and i'm gonna be using rF2 with open wheelers..

Kennett, maybe a stupid question but after copying the rfcmp file to the package folder, did you went to the MOD manager and installed it with it?

And did you already tried to select "all cars and tracks" to see if you can see any of the other additional content you installed?

^^ Yep. Hmm, something came to mind. I tried first to put it on the my docs, didn't see it in mod manager but i didn't look under components then.. I was expecting it to show as a mod.. I'll copy the silverstone to my docs, let's see what happens... EDIT: Yeah, that was it. Let's see if they now show ingame. Nope, both are installed according to mod manager but nothing new is showing ingame, all track/cars should be visible. 1 car, 1 track with 4 layouts. Demo don't seem to support mods. Note! Mod manager that came with the demo has only "exit" in the file menu...

Can you check if everything is installed in the same place? Perhaps the path that is set in the mod manager to install the mods is different from where the game searches?
the other thing I can think of, that you didn't select in the series tab "all tracks and cars" which is on the picture on the top.
I've been reading on the ISI forums also other people have questions if they can drive other content. Don't have it installed so can't check it for you.

GRAB_295.JPG

Can you check if everything is installed in the same place? Perhaps the path that is set in the mod manager to install the mods is different from where the game searches?
the other thing I can think of, that you didn't select in the series tab "all tracks and cars" which is on the picture on the top.
I've been reading on the ISI forums also other people have questions if they can drive other content. Don't have it installed so can't check it for you.

View attachment 40075

Checked all cars and tracks, all install folders are default. The rFactor2\Installed is empty, mod manager work dir is correct (program files (x86)\rFactor2 and packages is the Users\[user]\Documents\rFactor2. Install dir is also Users\blaablaa\rFactor2 and that can not be changed, it seems a bit odd that it doesn't point to rFactor2 program dir but i haven't changed anything during install.

Would be surprised if mods would work on demo, wouldn't be asking but i found that piece of text on the website that Silverstone should be working in the demo. Limerock is fun with radicals or mini but corvettes are way too heavy, not to mention huge in size to this track.

Another thing i've found odd and it's the same in rF1 but cars seem really big.. Converting the same content to race07 and they were always natural scale. The actual car isn't bigger, it just seems like it's not in scale but that's peanuts.. After 3 laps it's forgotten..

Isn't it the FOV that causes the cars seem bigger?

I really like the AI behaviour in this game btw. Improved much (!) compared to the older sims. I also tried night racing, and it looks fantastic! So far I've been having fun in the Corvette on this track.
Will definitely buy the full version later.

I have some horrible performance on Silverstone, 10-12 fps maybe, all other tracks are buttery smooth. But our is this track just that much more demanding?

The newest tracks are the most demanding on the computer, as ISI has put in their latest techniques. They said on their website that High settings on Silverstone is like the same as Full on Lime Rock Park. They are going to try to make the settings more alike in the future, And Malaysia is one of the first tracks, and for that reason not all the newest techniques applied. I haven't tested all the settings as I have a low end computer so everything is at low anyway, but I believe some settings are very heavy on the frame rate so you can fiddle around with them to see if that helps. I believe for instance Envirement reflections High and Low make a huge difference on the framerate on this circuit.

I have some horrible performance on Silverstone, 10-12 fps maybe, all other tracks are buttery smooth. But our is this track just that much more demanding?

No it's not that much more demanding but there are most definitely mysteries remaining. Crossfire issues are no mystery. That's for sure. Once I disabled my second gpu, things got back to somewhat normal for after being utterly unplayable for the last two releases. Mum is often the word with ISI. One thing's for sure. It's more of a hobby than a sim by a long shot.

Edit - What is your GPU?

Checked all cars and tracks, all install folders are default. The rFactor2\Installed is empty, mod manager work dir is correct (program files (x86)\rFactor2 and packages is the Users\[user]\Documents\rFactor2. Install dir is also Users\blaablaa\rFactor2 and that can not be changed, it seems a bit odd that it doesn't point to rFactor2 program dir but i haven't changed anything during install.

Would be surprised if mods would work on demo, wouldn't be asking but i found that piece of text on the website that Silverstone should be working in the demo. Limerock is fun with radicals or mini but corvettes are way too heavy, not to mention huge in size to this track.

Another thing i've found odd and it's the same in rF1 but cars seem really big.. Converting the same content to race07 and they were always natural scale. The actual car isn't bigger, it just seems like it's not in scale but that's peanuts.. After 3 laps it's forgotten..

Sorry haven't messed with the demo as I am a full user. What I do know is ISI should be putting there best foot forward on this demo if they know what's good for them. Unfortunately, they may be and looks like the demo is no easier to use than the beta.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back