Replacement monitor

G-Slev

Rubbish Racer & Amateur Motorsport Photographer
Premium
Whilst moving my rig, I managed to drop my Samsung 34 inch ultrawide when re-attaching it and broke the panel. I am presuming it is not economical to repair (it cost £350 from Costco) so I am looking to replace it when I have saved up for a few months.

The question I have for you is should I go for another 34 inch ultrawide (Costco have the 165hz Odessey G5 in for £300) or should I look at a 144hz 4k TV? With the latter, I would run it at 1440p rather than 4k. Costco have a couple of 50 or 55 inch 4K QLED TVs that run at 144hz in for about £500. Random Callsign recently moved to using a TV and speaks very highly of it. That said, he uses the whole screen, and my thinking was for simracing that I could render a letterbox of 3440x1440 in the centre of the screen with black bars above and below and that would provide a similar FOV to a 49" ultrawide monitor (the width is pretty similar).

I would be interested in hearing views about using TVs (albeit high refresh rate TVs) for simracing.

BTW, I am not sponsored by Costco - they are just cheaper than anywhere else I can find.

I am running a 7800x3d and 7800xt.

Last edited:
It might be worth bearing in mind a 55" 4k TV, in terms of ppi resolution, is the equivalent to a 27" 1080p monitor, whereas a 34" UW-QHD has a ppi close to a 27" 1440p.

It might be worth bearing in mind a 55" 4k TV, in terms of ppi resolution, is the equivalent to a 27" 1080p monitor, whereas a 34" UW-QHD has a ppi close to a 27" 1440p.
So you think I should get a monitor?

Damn, tough luck about your monitor.

Before commiting to a TV, I'd research VRR (aka Freesync) on TVs and how the Wheelbase would clear the screen.
Oh, and don't forget about input lag and reaction times.

I'd guesstimate that letterbox would be smack in the middle of the screen and not on the lower half?

On the other hand you'd have lots of real estate for apps and overlays.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.