RDRC S5 Round 1 - Rally de Monaco (2nd - 5th March)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some practice runs earlier, had a really good feeling so decided to drive in the OC1 session instead. :)

-------------------------

Pre-Rally:
----------
Whew, first rally of the season, and going from practice: it's going to be tough. The first stage is an absolute nightmare, really tough to find any grip.

As for my goals, I was very happy with my performance in the WRC-2 Rally Club event, finishing 4th out of 26 runners, and hope to replicate that success here. I really want to finish the rally clean, without DNFs and CFHs. I don't have the pace to push for a victory yet, but hopefully a clean rally should yield some good results, especially on such a tricky rally which I suspect will have a high attrition rate.

Post-Stage:
-----------

SS1 - Finished, mostly cleanly. Hit a barrier once or twice in the hairpins sections. Was a bit awkward as my camhack glitched, so I was driving with a view I'm not used too. Still, pretty happy with the pace, and the fact that I finished the stage, it's surely the most difficult on the rally.
SS2 - Yikes, not a terribly good stage. OK, I finished, without CFH and DNF, but I wasn't driving very fast at all. It's amazing how the confidence goes outside of practice, where you know a crash will lead to a bad result. Had two spins in the last sector, didn't lose too much time I don't think.
SS3 - Not too fast on this stage again, although it's much easier to drive than the previous two. Had a really anti-climactic off-road excursion midway through, got back on the road with minimal time loss.

SS4 - Oh man thats a lot easier to drive. My pace didn't really reflect that though, only 8 seconds quicker than the first one.
SS5 - Much more confident in that stage. A few minor mistakes, but nearly 30 seconds quicker than my first run through.
SS6 - It's surprising what a little confidence can do, 17 seconds faster than the first run through, al though conditions were near identical. Had a lapse in concentration near the end and hit the guardrail in one of the hairpins, luckily got away from it without damage.
SS7 - That went OK, I hadn't spent any time on this surface in practicing Cote D' Arbroz, was instead focused on the power stage, quite a bit slower on this surface.

OK, end of day 1, maybe not the quickest, but no DNFs, no CFHs, and mostly clean driving. A good start to the rally, I think, just need to keep it up for the rest of the stages.

(the timer glitch occurred here, so I wasted no time in going into the next stage, these stages are recalled from memory.)
SS8 - This went OK.
SS9 - So did this.
SS10 - And this one. (good memory, right? :D)

SS11 - Uh-oh! Broke my suspension here, front-left. Ran over some tires. OK, not too bad, no CFH, no DNF, but still, the next few stages will be tough.
SS12 - This went OK, actually, the suspension wasn't too bad.
SS13 - But this one was a nightmare, felt like the car wanted to go over the edge.
SS14 - I practiced this stage a lot. I really wanted to nab at least one power stage point. Unfortunately with the damaged suspension, it wasn't too be. Really quite gutted about that actually, but oh well. Clean, no problems.
(no problems with the timer glitch it seems, no default times AFAIK.)

Post-Rally:
-----------

Mission accomplished. :).
Geez, that was quite tiring too. Very happy that I met my goals though, no CFH, no DNF. OK, my pace wasn't the fastest, but on a tricky rally, having no penalties should help a lot in the final classification I hope.

Good luck to all the other runners, I hope you have as much fun on the stages as I did.
And a big thank you to all those involved in organizing this event. :)

1oHH9B2.jpg

Nice to see you in OC1 Micheal. I'm trying a more "realistic" approach to training. I pick a stage with similar conditions that's not on the itinerary and do a "high speed recce" on each stage once, mainly to get an idea of where the ice was (though I liked driving on ice more because the tires work!). I felt really good prior to the rally and that a podium was possible. A win, however would depend on Magnar's performance.

2WD on snow tires on tarmac is insane. In 1st and 2nd gear, I drive this thing like an 80's F1 car; constantly stabling the throttle in order to spool the turbo making it more predictable. Let get on with it...

SS1: Struggled in the hairpins but I was going fine until I slide of the road somehow don't know why. Engine wouldn't start. Cross
SS2: This stage was going great until I lost concentration, hit barrier and lost engine. Quite cross.
SS3: I though the win was over so I said "from now on flat-out". Stupid screw ups, then I slide off the road. Very quite cross.

SS4: Now this is more like it! Not perfect run, but good one that should've happened earlier.
SS5: I can name three moments where I lost time but I had the most fun here all weekend. Better
SS6: Just bad again.
SS7: Power stage practice. Went okay.

SS8: An okay run. Hard to figure out how to go faster?
SS9: Blinding snow. How bad was it? I had to use reverse.
SS10: Just horrid. That poorly timed "90 Right" call was the nail in the coffin.

SS11: I felt like I performed better yet my time was the same
SS12: Better, but still not happy
SS13: Even worse. Rolled, broke suspension, limped home
SS14: So I say to myself "nothing to lose, go for the stage win!" But I forgot, the damage from the previous stage was still there! Properly cross.

Overall, I am unhappy with my performance because I knew I could do it, I felt comfortable on the Monte roads, and I was in the Monte mood.

Advice to those who are going to run: Adopt Loeb's driving philosophy: drive within you limits. You will spend more time on the road which means more learning time.Good luck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back