RDRC S3 Chat, Questions, Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so I've quickly skinned my Alfa 33 Raptr car. But I can't get it to work with the skin manager. I did a quick google (and RD) search and I've put the skin in a zip folder and it's in Skins/Alfa33/JJWang I have 1 dds (the body map) in the zip folder and that's about it. I can see the JJWang and the Zip archive in the skin manager but I can't get it to apply the skin.

Can anyone help me please?
Sounds like you're on the right track. Usually it's just a case of highlighting the folder icon 'Alfa33/JJWang' (not the zipfile icon) and it should light up the green 'apply this skin in RSRBR' button at the bottom.

EDIT: NVM I managed to get it working. Still not 100% sure what I did wrong but I think i accidentally made it a .rar instead of a .zip and i renamed the dds inside the folder to be "alfa33_external.dds" instead of something else.

But Senad, could you tell me how I would go about making a "scrape" version of the skin please?

Also, the Alfa template I found in Rallyesim (http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=448&t=4707) only has the body and doesn't have the windows. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can skin my own windows for the Alfa?

Planning to race from Round 3 if I get FFB to work. However, I'm only a grade 2, and the plan is to drive in team with Roy. Can I join round three in grade 2, obtain a grade 1 license (If I'm able), then switch to the Fabia, and then the team-racing starts?

Planning to race from Round 3 if I get FFB to work. However, I'm only a grade 2, and the plan is to drive in team with Roy. Can I join round three in grade 2, obtain a grade 1 license (If I'm able), then switch to the Fabia, and then the team-racing starts?

Ole, you earn a grade 1 license by winning 3 Rally Club Events, and you have already won 2. :wink:

EDIT: NVM I managed to get it working. Still not 100% sure what I did wrong but I think i accidentally made it a .rar instead of a .zip and i renamed the dds inside the folder to be "alfa33_external.dds" instead of something else.

But Senad, could you tell me how I would go about making a "scrape" version of the skin please?

There was a tutorial somewhere, with a simple solution, will try to find a link... I remember it was just a picture of crumpled paper, and that was overlayed over the body. Not a Photoshop expert, so I might have got the terminology wrong.

Also, the Alfa template I found in Rallyesim (http://forum.rallyesim.fr/viewtopic.php?f=448&t=4707) only has the body and doesn't have the windows. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can skin my own windows for the Alfa?

The windows are in external_transparent.dds, you can find that file in /Cars/Alfa33, or in /Skins/Alfa33/Skin_Original

There was a tutorial somewhere, with a simple solution, will try to find a link... I remember it was just a picture of crumpled paper, and that was overlayed over the body. Not a Photoshop expert, so I might have got the terminology wrong.The windows are in external_transparent.dds, you can find that file in /Cars/Alfa33, or in /Skins/Alfa33/Skin_Original
Hmm OK thanks. If all I need to do is just overlay a crumbled paper and export that to a dds then I think I can do it :) what's the scrape version for anyway? When you crash I'm assuming? As for the external_transparent file I'll try to find it when I'm on my comp again (posting on Droid). Also I noticed I'm the only one who picked the Alfa... should I be worried? :D

Hmm OK thanks. If all I need to do is just overlay a crumbled paper and export that to a dds then I think I can do it :) what's the scrape version for anyway? When you crash I'm assuming? Also I noticed I'm the only one who picked the Alfa... should I be worried? :D
Yup, when you crash :D. If you don't have one for your skin when you crash, you'd get the default one.

Don't know about the Alfa, I've never driven it. You can try driving one of the Round 1 stages, and compare your times to the guys in your class.

Yup,when you crash the car the _scrape texture is slowly replacing the regular external.dds. "Paper damage" brush is often used for a quick scrape version, but you can skip even that and just copy the external texture and rename it to external_scrape. Your just wont get any additional crumbles when it gets damaged then :).

Some templates for the cars have damage layer included, when you look at a few of them you can try and make your own original scrapes too :).

Championship Rounds - Start Times

I find it difficult to run in the EU sessions because of the lateness of the evening sessions. I find it better to run in the OC sessions so I'm more awake, but the only problem with that is nobody seems to run in the weekend OC sessions and it's not much fun running a championship round on your own. The Tuesday session seems to be the one that is most supported, so I run in that but that makes a big hole in the day when I should be doing other things.

Would it be possible to revisit the whole issue of start times, perhaps with a poll or a thread where competitors can post looking for fellow competitors to run in an unused session but have a different start time for a session.

Is there any support for perhaps starting one of the EU sessions at an earlier time at the weekend perhaps ??

Thanks,

Pete

I would vote for earlier race. Maybe 1 or 2 hour earlier would be nice. But we all have different timezoe so dont know how it would work.

I think my problem will be mainly in the summer months when we have BST which is GMT +1. I would be more than happy to run an EU session a couple of hours earlier in the summer - at least that's two people who would like an earlier schedule :)

Pete

I have a quick question sorry if this is stupid as I'm super new to RBR. Does setup matter for the n3 cars? I'm not sure how to setup a car for rally but if it doesn't really make a difference then I wont bother. Any insights on n3 setup would be appreciated :)

Would it be possible to revisit the whole issue of start times, perhaps with a poll or a thread where competitors can post looking for fellow competitors to run in an unused session but have a different start time for a session.

Session start times were lifted directly from the Rally Club, where one can request additional start times that suit them. The vast majority of the drivers used the 3 default sessions, and some drivers who have requested extra ones, just requested the same time on another day, so things looked okay.

Also, there is always the issue of a maximum 3 active sessions on rallyesim.

I have a quick question sorry if this is stupid as I'm super new to RBR. Does setup matter for the n3 cars? I'm not sure how to setup a car for rally but if it doesn't really make a difference then I wont bother. Any insights on n3 setup would be appreciated :)

Setup always matters, but most of the cars are pretty decent by default. If you find the car undrivable, you should change the setup, if not, I wouldn't poke around too much if you're not sure what you're doing :D

Session start times were lifted directly from the Rally Club, where one can request additional start times that suit them. The vast majority of the drivers used the 3 default sessions, and some drivers who have requested extra ones, just requested the same time on another day, so things looked okay.

Also, there is always the issue of a maximum 3 active sessions on rallyesim.

I thought that the Championship times were fixed and that you couldn't request additional ones - I know that it is possible to request alternative ones for the Club rally but that isn't such an issue as there are only 8 stages in the Club events.

Would a request for an additional Championship Session on a Monday at 17:30 GMT be granted (not for this round, perhaps next round) ?

Pete

I thought that the Championship times were fixed and that you couldn't request additional ones - I know that it is possible to request alternative ones for the Club rally but that isn't such an issue as there are only 8 stages in the Club events.

Would a request for an additional Championship Session on a Monday at 17:30 GMT be granted (not for this round, perhaps next round) ?

Pete

They are fixed, I was referring to the Rally Club start times. People have the option of asking for a time there, and most of them stick with the preset times.
4 extra stages is 20 extra minutes, not that big of a difference, I'd think.

Anyway, I can't see any additional sessions happening; 50+ people, and a maximum of 3 sessions at a time. We'd end up with 20 sessions in the end. A logistical nightmare.

They are fixed, I was referring to the Rally Club start times. People have the option of asking for a time there, and most of them stick with the preset times.
4 extra stages is 20 extra minutes, not that big of a difference, I'd think.

Anyway, I can't see any additional sessions happening; 50+ people, and a maximum of 3 sessions at a time. We'd end up with 20 sessions in the end. A logistical nightmare.

For me, the extra stages take me to beyond 2200 UK time which is the end of my day and the time at which I am most tired. I suspect for most other people in the UK it is almost at the end of their day, particularly in the summer months. You wouldn't have to create any new sessions, perhaps just run the weekend EU sessions at earlier times, surely that would also be better for competitors in the EU as well.

If there is no flexibility in the timing of the sessions then It may mean that I will miss some of the rounds when my other commitments clash with the OC sessions. It's just a waste of time me running the EU sessions in the Championship because of the late times they take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes