RDHGP S8 - Round 8 - 200km - Imola - Sat 4th Feb 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix Season 8 Round 8
Welcome back to Round 8 of the RDHGP S8, and the final event of the season. I feel quite pleased with how Gellerasen went, feedback was mostly positive about the track and how it drove. We get quite a contrast going from the shortest track of the season to the longest, and a huge change in character as well.

As is customary, this is a double length, weekend run event. In case anyone doesn’t know, we run this on a weekend to allow timezones ahead of GMT to not be as adversely affected during the working/school week. The 200km distance means that all bar one of the League vehicles must stop for fuel to make the end of the race, and then there is the factor of new tyres being available. Some may opt to not stop and nurse the car through to the end, some will opt for fuel only to shorten the stop and have to nurse the tyres that need to go twice as far as a normal League race, and the rest will take both fuel & tyres and be able to push as hard as a normal 100km race. It’s always a fine balancing act between the strategies and it throws up some unusual battles as people encounter people on different strategies throughout the course of the race.

Round 8 takes us 1040 miles due South from Karlskoga in Sweden to Northern Italy, and the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari in Imola.

s8r8.jpg

Circuit Notes
Situated 40km East of Bologna, the circuit was originally named for Enzo Ferrari’s late son Dino who died in the 1950’s, but then he himself was added after his death in 1988. Imola held the San Marino Grand Prix for many years, and ran the 1980 iteration of the Italian Grand Prix while Monza was undergoing refurbishment. It is one of few major international circuits to run in an anti-clockwise direction.

The 500lb gorilla in the corner that no-one wants to mention is the meeting in 1994 where Rubens Barrichello was injured in Friday Practice, Roland Ratzenberger was killed in Saturday Qualifying, and Ayrton Senna was killed during the race on Sunday.

In 2007 the circuit was dropped from the F1 Calendar, but it has now been reconstructed and is beginning to host major events again having been given the “1” rating from the FIA. No F1 has yet been announced, but the Le Mans Series 6 Hours of Imola is a step in the right direction.

A lap of Imola starts on the long S/F straight, through the gentle curve just past the line, allowing the cars to get up a good head of steam, even on the opening lap, so we should see some separation by the time we stand on the brakes for the first complex – Tamburello.

T1aL is protected on the inside by tyre pillars, and on the outside by a slippery sand trap. This is one of the corner complexes where it pays to take your medicine in this first section. Once through the first part, you can get gently on the accelerator and then feather for T1bR, again avoiding the potentially race-ending tyre barrier on the inner apex guarding the cut. Once out of here, and pointing in roughly the right direction, get aggressively on the throttle and sweep through T1cL under full gas, and out onto the straight beyond.

After the decent length straight you approach the next corner, which is a bit more of a classical -but widely spaced- left-right chicane – Villeneuve. Hard on the brakes for T2aL, enter it from as wide as possible, carrying some speed through the first part, and then a dab of brakes for T2bR, and then try not to drift too far left on the exit, as the kerb is slippery, and the grass beyond it won’t slow you in time to prevent you hitting the fence beyond.

Accelerate hard out of Villeneuve, under the footbridge, and then stand on the brakes hard for T3L – Tosa. A slow tight turn, braking distances and lines will be very varied, so caution needed through here. It exits uphill, and is quite slippery, so care is required when to stand on the accelerator, especially when your tyres are worn.

Hard on the gas once you are settled, uphill and keeping right over the blind crest, and then brake for T4L – Piratella. A double apexed, medium speed corner in which the outer edge on the first apex is guarded by sandy grass and a close wall, and the inside kerbs on the second apex are bumpy. Get this corner right, and you can head onto the downhill straight that follows with a big old smile on your face.

Hammering downhill you see the next corner ahead - T5R - and as it’s a downhill entry you’ll need to brake earlier and longer than normal, drop a gear, throw the nose across the apex, and then stand hard again on the brakes and get settled for T6R – Acque Minerale.

Acque Minerale is tight, the turn apex is at the bottom of the dip, and it exits steeply uphill. Get the nose in as tight as possible, do your turning, and then get on the gas on the way out, trying not to slither across the bumpy kerbs and run off areas – which incidentally are NOT considered racing surface.

Full acceleration up the hill, and over the gentle crest as the track flattens out, going under the trees until you hit the hard braking point for Variante Alta. A close, classic chicane, get your braking done well enough to flick the nose right into the T7aR first section, avoid the car unsettling kerbs, flick it back left again almost immediately through T7bL, and then squeeze on the power through the exit, avoiding running wide over some more nasty kerbs and onto the downhill straight that follows.

Keep hard on the gas down hill, take the right-hander curve that goes under the bridge, and then get hard, hard on the brakes for the tricky Rivazza.

Rivazza is another double apex turn, with the topography making them very different. The high speed downhill approach to T8aL extends the braking zone, the off camber profile makes it difficult to get the nose in, and the bumpy kerb and waiting , slippery grass on the exit need to be factored in as well. Get through there safely, and the entire character of the section changes. You can be aggressive through T8bL, taking a late apex and stamping on the gas onto the uphill straight that it opens onto.

Hard acceleration uphill, round the slight right-hand curve that then flattens before you get hard on the brakes again. Carrying straight on, you have the pit entry, which is actually quite a fast approach. Before that though, and guarded by tyre bales and aggressive cut warnings, you have the final turn – Variante Bassa.

Brake early for T9aL, and get off the brakes early as well, to make sure that you make the turn nice and tight around the inner tyres. Flick the nose right for T9bR, avoiding the inner tyres, squeezing on the gas, trying not to drift too wide across the kerb and into the Cut Warning, and hit the S/F line at almost full chat and another lap of Imola.

Just a reminder that this 200km finale is this coming Saturday 4th Feb

imola.jpg

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting. The worst offenders from previous seasons have not signed up, so I hope that this will be a non-issue this season.

Racing Room must be given to all drivers – and this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

T1aL, T1bR – Tamburello – Especially on Lap 1. It is a long run from the S/F line to here, so there will be some separation, but the high entry speed on cold brakes and tyres pose their own problems. Be aware of people as you turn in here, it has the possibility to cause huge problems if drivers don’t respect each other. If you realise you are not going to make the corner, avoid the tyres across the sand. If you try and throw it across the inside, but don’t make it, you will both crash your car, and present a huge, unavoidable barrier for all those behind you. Take to the inside, and accept your cut warning as your penalty and try and stay in the race.

T6R – Acque Minerale. The green fill-in kerb at the exit is not racing surface, so people should not be using this as part of their usual line.

T8aL – Rivazza. As mentioned in the Notes, the fast, downhill and off camber turn is very tricky, and with heavy fuel, worn tyres and in a fight, it’s very easy to misjudge. The Green fill-in kerb is Not racing surface. And if you go off into the dirt behind Rivazza, you must be careful and make a clean re-entry.

T9aL + T9bR – Variante Bassa. Tyre piles at both apexes and a Cut Warning on the exit of the second part. As with Tamburello, hitting these tyres will almost unavoidably cause multicar accidents. Do not take others with you when you self destruct, make sure you make these turns cleanly.

All points on the track – General Items
Drivers may put on their lights (and keep them on) during a timed qualification lap, so other drivers know to get out of the way when safe to do so.
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the Race Session.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
No Reported Incidents

Domagoj was having problems with his wheel, which he mentioned in the threads and by PM to me, and GPCOS was a little bit up and down last week, so I will be issuing him a warning, but not a full Infraction. He did at least try to let me kinow.

Krzyzstof Babij gets a second no-show and is refused entry to the Imola finale, but due to the GPCOS outages, I'm going to waive the outright ban from future Leagues.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 200km events :
P1 - 50 pts
P2 - 44
P3 - 40
P4 - 36
P5 - 32
P6 - 30
P7 - 28
P8 - 26
P9 - 24
P10 - 22
P11 - 20
P12 - 18
P13 - 16
P14 - 14
P15 - 12
P16 - 10
P17 - 8
P18 - 6
P19 - 4
P20 - 2

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Is it really the last one?
Well, after 2 "missed" seasons, I was able to do 5 out of 7 events. Hopefully I can make the number of 6 finished races and take the overall win in the Lancia company :)

Senad, you made it without pit stop (as the only one) season ago. Dont surprise us again :D

So if a pitstop for fuel & tyres in one of the other cars is about 40 sec, you get a 1 second a lap buffer to not push as hard as you can, save engines and tyres, which will make it all about judgement for the TVRs.
It should be a good balance.

Not for fight with Rossco.:rolleyes:
Grantura dislikes uphills very much and I will not have such an advantage like was at Le Mas Du Clos and Gellerasen. My compromise variants of gearbox settings which I used earlier will not allow run really fast at Imola. Very long third gear. On each track I had to get compromise with it. But not in Imola. You need to choose - fast hill climb (kill the engine on the downhill) or fast straight speed on downhill (kill the speed on hill climb).
But I knew this at the start of the season. I was hoping to collect some reserve of points on the tracks in the middle of championship. But, for obvious reasons, I have not done this.:confused: Now, I need to just relax and drive the race till the end without stupid DNF's or disco's.:)

So if a pitstop for fuel & tyres in one of the other cars is about 40 sec, you get a 1 second a lap buffer to not push as hard as you can, save engines and tyres, which will make it all about judgement for the TVRs.

It should be a good balance.
Only 1 second a lap buffer? Damn, I think I'd need about 5.
Or maybe 7.
Yes, 7 would work.
Okay, 10, but no more.

Imola is really awesome track. But it very very tricky. After some serious training you begin to think that you know the track and your time is not bad. But when you saw some times from other people, you may be shocked. It turns out, that in some places possible to run much quicker and gain tonns of time. And even after each time improvement you're in doubt, maybe you may go more faster?:rolleyes:

It's true Dmytro, I went as fast as I could with low fuel, got a pb, very satisfied. Then I did some practice race laps and went 2 seconds faster! More practice needed

Just double checking the time the race starts is 20:00 GMT as stated in GPCOS. For some reason I thought the start was earlier :confused:

**EDIT** Just found it's possible to stand the Fulvia on its nose again. I was a bit optimistic going through variente alta, and the tyre seemed to get caught on the high kerb, which flipped me. I even managed a full 360 without touching the ground. Just a warning to my fellow Fulviaists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back