RDHGP S3 - Merged Race Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Welcome to the Race Department Historic Grand Prix (RDHGP)

The RDHGP League staff welcome you to the 2009 RDHGP season.

We are using a selected field of 5 cars conforming to the FIA GTC65 specifications & regulations. The season will run over 8 races, 7 races over a distance of 100km, plus the season finale over a distance of 200km. The 100km races will be run on alternating Thursdays commencing 7th May, with the season finale running on Saturday 8th August.

While by it’s very nature, the League environment is more competitive than the Club environment, please remember what makes the GTL Club so unique – our consideration for all other competitors at all times. Let’s try and carry this tradition of clean, fun and considerate racing over into a League environment.

RDHGP_Mond.jpg

Circuit Notes

Ireland’s Mondello Park was opened in 1968, the original 1.3km track being extended to 1.9km for the following season for what we know as the “National” circuit layout. The track was extended in 1998 to 3.5km – the “International” circuit.

The RDHGP, due it’s prestige, unique format and exotic blend of vehicle, will be using the 2.8km “Intermediate” layout, which has not been used for car racing since 2000. We thank Mondello Park for re-opening this rarely used layout for us.

RDHGP_Mondmap.gif

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

1. The Start / Finish straight is fairly narrow, and the pitlane exit can be quite tricky. It would be unreasonable and unfeasible to expect drivers at the race start to avoid the pitlane exit. Therefore, the Race Director has the following finding:
    The Pit Exit is usable only at the race start (defined by the Go signal until the completion of Corner 1, Lap 1 by the last runner) as normal racetrack and thereafter, for avoidance purposes only. Drivers using it as their habitual line will face penalty.

2. The Esses have a tyre wall that can, if impacted, throw the affected car across the track, potentially into the path of following cars. Other areas of the track tend to send you away from the track rather than back across it, which is why this one is being mentioned.

3. The Pitlane Entrance is immediately beyond a fast, accelerating turn. If you are intending to pit and you have a car close behind you who you think is not going to pit, you will need to be careful when and how you brake for the Pitlane. Similarly, if you are following a car closely through this turn, you will need to be aware of the possibility of them pitting.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

As this is round 1 there are no outstanding Incidents, Investigations nor Penalties.
Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, 24 hour cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

The RDHGP will not be running the virtual license format adopted by the RDTCC. Incidents will be treated on a case-by-case basis, and punishments dispensed on the merits (or not) of the complaint. The League Staff reserve the right to remove any driver from the league if a pattern of infringement becomes apparent. League Staff decisions on penalties are final and not subject to appeal.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. We are using the default liveries only in RDHGP.

Competitors Summary

Attached to this briefing, you will find the summary for all competitors that have registered for this league. This reflects the driver registered in GPCOS, not the sign up thread. This will show their name, nationality, vehicle choice, number and livery. This is for reference only and will not change to reflect performance or attendance. As drivers register in GPCOS, the chart will be updated.

GPCOS will be the tool for defining attendance and record keeping.

entries.gif

Not a lucky race for me.

The qualification was ok, I was glad, that I could go under 43. The first few laps of the race was ok too, then I started to slow down. I was wondering how Ben and David can go faster in the straights. It was my pedal's fault. I checked it after the race, and when I pressed the throtle fully, the power was jumping between 70%-90%. I hope, that I can fix it for the next race.

Ben: Yes, it was really fun, and I hope we can do it again on the last 2 races, I'll try to keep up with you.

Avi: Sorry for that bump.

Peter: Do you have a Logitech Momo? Had the same issue and I'm not the only one who had this. (type in Google 'Clean Logitech Momo pedals' and you'll find extended guides with lot's of pictures.

On the event:
At first I was scared to be blown away by the difference in displacement. I had a good vibe through the twisty part so I tried to collect all my courage and headed for the server.
Qualify: With a decent 1.44.3 I ended up in 7th position. A new PB for me here in Mid-Ohio.
Race: Got scared at the start and drove very carefully behind Jari (who was also very carefully avoiding all those big cars around us) Lost some positions due to extreme cautious driving.
Then I got some of the most close racing ever! Thanks Bert, Warren, Stuart and ll around me as this was bloody great :D I do have to get some screenshots from this battle as it was so close: Next to the Ferrari/Merc sideways through them corners: :fwd:

After I got passed that driving chicane (No offence Warren :) ) Around halfway the race I had a 7 seconds gap with Jay in front of me: next lap 6,5; next lap 6.0; next lap 5,5; next lap 7 :(; next lap 9 :( Luckily I had build some distance with Stuart as at the final rounds he was chasing me with 3 seconds difference. Kept my cool (sort of: I didn't spin too badly anymore :) ) and finished 6th: my best result so far giving me 10 precious points

Great event: Gratz to Ben, David & Jari (and all participants)

Thanks Stu & RD & Ramon!

Edit: almost forgot: In the beginning I noticed some lag, I hope I wasn't lagging to badly. I almost forgot it as it only happened shortly in the first laps.

• Matt Crouch

woop for a lag free race, shame it's only the third race of the season that I haven't been forced to retire.

Fairly uneventful race. Qualified in the middle area. No big mistakes, just one contact with Jari where I got a slow exit out of one of the latter corners and couldn't work out where he was, which led to a small collision. I let Jari past anyway as I couldn't tell what happened, and there was no catching up after that. I spent most of the race in 5th with peter drawing away a few seconds in front and the gap to Jay behind staying around 7 seconds, then Peter disappeared leaving me in 4th till the end of the race :)

Felt very slow toward the end, most of my laps were 1.5 - 2 seconds off of my fastest, but I guess everyone was slowing down by that time as the gaps didn't change that much.

Decent race anyway, Magny is a track I've never really got round to trying properly so that's going to be a challenge...

• Matt Crouch

do you have the dated replays enabled in your plr file? I think I linked to a post on how to enable them in hockenheim or possibly another league race thread.

Can't upload atm as I'm at work :wink2:

Race 6: Mid Ohio Chicane.

Qualifying: After a very slow start in warm-up, I finally managed to get up to speed and qualify in 4th.

Race: Up to third off the grid and halfway into the lap on the downhill chicane where Peter runs wide on the outside whilst Avi is slow on the inside and I can't avoid a slight touch on Avi's tail. I let off the accelerator to make sure he is still ahead of me, letting the two red Austin's of Ben and Amir past and I'm back in 5th.

1.jpg

Lap 2 and Avi spins wide, leaving me third behind Ben. Lap 4 and the front group are close together as Peter is suffering from the Ferrari's recurring weak accelerator problem ;)

2.jpg

Lap 5, Ben gets past Peter and with Jari on my tail, I also need to get past. On the start of the next lap, I've got a better run into the first corner and manage to slide into 2nd place with Ben up ahead.

3.jpg

I then spend the next few laps (foolishly) trying to keep close to Ben and give him a race. A valid attempt, but some laps later I run a bit wide, putting another second between us and realise that I'm over-driving the car and need to keep it a lot smoother.

A few laps later, I soon had Jari sniffing my tail pipes in his Renault and the remainder of the race became one of the most taxing races I've had with regard to concentration.

For the remaining 20 or so laps, it demonstrated the beauty and pain of GTL racing with cars of such mixed ability. The heavy Ferrari brute force against the light and agile Alpine. Jari would always be on my tail through braking and the corner complexes and I'd always put a bit of space between us on the longer straights.

Jari managed to get past on a couple of occasions if I ran a bit wide but I was always able to claw it back on the next straight. A fantastic bit of driving from Jari as we had no significant contact.

3b.jpg

As the race wore on and the tyres did the same, the stress and need to concentrate increased. We're both running wider and braking earlier and on many occasions were side by side through a corner.

4.jpg

On the last few laps, Jaris's need to get ahead was palatable as he tried everything he could to find an edge. So very close on many occassions, right up to the very last corner.

5.jpg

But not enough to take away my second place and first trip to the podium.

(Credits: This report was inspired by Bert's previous league reports. Thanks to Stuart for keeping this league together and of course Jari)

Warren,it was my own doing,I have a new Wheel and paddles,my brake paddle is a bit more aggressive then my old one ,braking to hard that's why I was going wide.

Was having a good start ,slipping from 14 to 11 spot,bud make a nice jump and started from the back again,try to get Simon,past some of the guys who having some detours, hold back Avi a few laps bud he was faster so I let him trough ,after that a few slipoffs as usual.

Half way the race get a big cramp in my right leg,do to a different set up of my new Wheel I have to adjust some sings. went to the pits chancing tyers and stretch my leg, so I can continue.

Finished P12(from 12) a small field this time.

This race was not one of my better one's bud some practice with my new stuff must clear that,(I Hope)

Hans

Lovely racing at Mid-Ohio again, one of my favourite tracks, just for the twisty back section.
Anyhow, as we move into the tail end of the season I'm now beginning to understand the Ferrari's little nuances, bit late I know, but while my fellow Fezza's complained about a lack of grip, my own beast felt planted and very sure footed - maybe because I drive it so slowly.:doh:

Qualifying saw me take my usual 'not quite at the back' spot. So the race itself -

Got a fairly good start and was most amused to see Hans suddenly fly backwards through the air at T1 :D This lead to me giving Warren's Merc a good scrape down the side into the hairpin as I wiped the tears of laughter away - sorry:embarrassed:

Anyhow settled into a nice scrap with Matt's Healey - swapping a few places and caught on Warren and Stuart having a go at each other at one point. During the Matt scrap my pc suddenly decided to minimise to desktop which was a pain in the arse, it was going so well. Then on was a lonely plod really, did manage a PB of 1.45.1xx which I was happy with, but managed to bring her home in P10 - despite the limited field I was happy with this and still feel confident for a P8+ as we move into the last 2 races.

Thanks Stuart and RD for what has been an interesting season so far, if the opportunity ever arose again I don't think I'd choose the 275 but saying that when it's going well it's one of the better GTL experiences.

Simon :)

After few laps I was behind Matt but managed just barely to overtake him coming to fast left hander. I didnt see him so I started to turn left when I felt little bump from Matt´s car. I lost only a second max with that accident but Matt decided to let me pass anyhow. After watching replay I have to say it was unnecessary to let me pass him because in my book it was just a racing accident and it wasnt his fault.
Had a good fight with David for 2nd place. He would escape from me in straights but I would gain on him on twisty parts. Managed to pass him twice but both times he returned the favour and finished 2nd place just ahead of me.
Have to say that my chances in Magny and Spa are very slim because of the nature of the tracks. Starting place in both track is followed by long straight and fast corner so I fully expect to be overtaken by multiple cars in first lap.
Congratulations to Ben. Thanks to Stuart and Racedepartment for this league.

:peace2:
Jari

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puHqScKWcYw[/ame]

I think this standing is much better, the championship is open. To be honest, I'd like to see you as champ, 'cause you made an outstandig performace in this season with that car (maybe at Mid-Ohio had a chance to get you, but usually you were 0.5s faster). So push as hard as you can, I won't give myself easy, but I don't want to win due to luck.

Peter it looks close on the Standings but with the tracks left i say it's between you and Patrick, But i shall give it my best shot. (the English have to win something :))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes