RD Race07 skinpack

Björn

Ävver et Hätz bliev he in Kölle
The RaceDepartment skinpack
As discussed during the previous week(s), we're unifying the Mini/WTCC skinpacks into a new RaceDepartment skinpack. At the same time, we're extending the pack to include all other classes run during RD club events, so you can spraypaint your Radicals, GTs, everythings!

All skins by drivers who have signed up for a RD club event during the last three months as well as pending uploads have been migrated and are already available in the pack.

As usual, the pack is available as a 7zip file via the RD download resources and, in order to keep things tidy, now contains a slightly modified folder structure (see below).
Updates, if there are any, will be issued every Sunday - given the current club event structure, this allows short-term skin development targeted at vehicles used at the next week's events right after they are announced :)

Guidelines & Informations
(a.k.a. "I don't wanna call this rules, we're still casually racing ;))
  • updates will be published every Sunday evening(GMT-ish time), please make sure skins are submitted by then to see them included.
  • since we're drastically increasing the amount of permitted car models, your skins will be removed from the pack after 60 days of not signing up for club events - of course, you are free to re-submit your skins once you restart racing.
  • please stick to the default skin sizes - oversized skins have been causing problems in the past (for example, for WTCC skins, body/windows/internal dds files should be less or equal to 1366/683/513 KB)
  • each car can only be present once per driver - another upload of the same car will replace your current skin
  • one skinned car per class (WTCC/GT Club/Retros etc.) is what's desired - should you find yourself to be switching cars often enough to justify it, however, you may enter multiple skins per class - please mention this accordingly in your upload.
  • the skin pack features a root folder which should be placed in Race07's user files (for Win7/8, entering "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\SimBin\RACE 07\CustomSkins" in Windows Explorer should get you there). Inside this folder, there are user-based folders which might, in turn, contain car-based folders - but I'll take care of that ;)
Add your skin
Getting your skin added is easy - just zip/rar/7zip it, upload it somewhere (dropbox, mega, the choice is yours) and link it in this topic. If everything's fine, it will be added to the next update.
You don't have a skin yet? Whoops! Well, basically, there are three ways to overcome this dilemma:

1. Get your Paintbrushes out and skin your dream car! Basic skinning is actually quite easy and very well covered in this RD guide. Software-wise, the guide (rightfully) covers GIMP and Paint.Net, a worthwhile addition might be Inkscape in case you work with or need scalable graphics.
    The guide mentioned above only covers body and windows skinning, so here are the formats which other files should be saved as:
    Body/Driver/Ext_Driver/Numberplate = DDS file, DXT1 with Mipmaps (6, if adjustable)
    Windows/Helmet = DDS file, DXT5 with Mipmaps (6, if adjustable)
    InteriorWindow = DDS file, DXT5 without Mipmaps
    Menuflag (menu) = 32Bit TGA file, 60x45px
    IngameFlag (result screen)= 32Bit TGA file, 40x20px
    The base files needed can be found in RD's download section: Base Game | STCC | Retro | Additional.
    WTCC 87/06/07, Mini, Caterhams, F3000, FBMW, Radicals + Nameplates/Driver/Helmet templates
    STCC2, Camaro Cup Gen5, Retro Volvos (240, 850)
    Retro Cool, Retro Max
    Camaro Cup Gen4, GT Club, GT Pro, GT Sport, Muscle Cup, Formula Master, Formula RR, WTCC Extreme, Seat Leon TDI, Lada 110s, additional STCC1 cars (Peugeot 308, BMS Incognito, Audi A4)
  2. Use Simplivery to create basic skins for a few cars.
  3. Don't have the time or patience to do it on your own? Well, some of us really like this stuff and might be willing to create a car or two for you - just post into this topic and ask for help :)
    (Do you like designing cars and want to be contacted for skinrequests directly? Shoot me a PM and we'll get your name in here!)
  4. Found the skin of your dreams on some site or the RD download section? We might get it included as well, however, please contact the author and make sure he's alright with this!
Status
Currently, there are no skins waiting to be included - the pack's up to date!

Last edited:

Björn

Alex (or someone else who might know :D) - any idea whether it's possible to skin helmets (type 2) with transparent visors? There are 'opacity' layers in the template files, though I've no idea on how to use them to achieve transparency :O_o:

sneak peek at (one of) the first non-Mini/WTCC skin coming to the pack, next Thursday's Rad event poses an excellent opportunity to start skinning (especially since the template, which seems chaotic at first, really is quite useful :))

ajokay

Real-ish Racer
I'll have to have a look. I noticed the other day my visor was opaque when really it should have at least some degree of transparency, but I've not yet had tome to have a look at it, I'll let you know when I do.

Björn

The update's live: CLICK

I've included all skins except Dennis' defect Aston Martin livery - I've also fixed up a few INI files to reduce logging into \SimBin\RACE 07\CustomSkins\Errors.log

Cheers, and keep the skins coming :)

Björn

48(-ish) hours to skin a GT Club vehicle of your choice :)

O3B6S0t.jpg

(hopefully done by then ;))

Last edited:

Björn

Heh, thanks :)

The newer logos were pretty much the reason to do this, considering there are at least two "classic" Jordan 191 skins for the IFM out there already.
Partially, they were quite tricky, though - had to settle on one of two 7up logos that both had massive non-seperated green areas - a white outline it was. The bp logo had the exact same problem, so I decided to play a bit with the light green at the nose to get a contrast in there. I kinda stole that idea off of your skin ;)

btw, this guy has (graphically) adapted quite a lot retro liveries onto modern cars, in case anyone needs inspiration :)

H34d5h07

No money, no team racing.
So, I have a few skins (mostly for WTCC) that I use during our races. They aren't made by me, but from NoGrip and 100Mbit. Can they be added to the pack, or do I need to start fresh and create my own. I have no skills in making skins, so can anyone help out if thats the case?

Björn

No problem with 3rd party skins - however, you should get in contact with the original author and get his permission to use it, first :)

Alternatively, if you outline your ideas for a skin in here, someone may be interested in getting a car done for you - I might see what I can do and I got a feeling @Alex Odell could be interested, too ;)
Although only two cars (one of which is not in R07), you might wanna use these pdf templates from racingcolour.co.uk to outline your ideas: Sedan/Hatchback

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 91 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 127 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000