RD Le Mans Series Season 3 (rFactor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Series Length: 6 Rounds would be better.

Classes Run: P1's and GT2's have to be in. Then it's the decision between P2 and GT1. I think P2 is better so yeah, good class choice.

Time/Day of Events: Saturday is a good day to have the event's, many people need to prepare for Work on Sundays and it would be stupid doing endurance races on Weekdays. I think some of the shorter events could of started later (2-4pm instead of 12)

Test Races: Optional. Not everyone can race on Thursday and not everyone is needed.

Qualification: On Race Day.

Forum Structure: Very clean and easy to use Forum. Only problem was that it was hard to find some information due to the RD Forum Provider change last year.

Additional Comments: Bigger variety of tracks. Mid Ohio, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, Dubai Autodrome, and Algarve are some ideas I have.

Series Length: A bit short, one or two more races would have been great (schedule conflict with other leagues?)

Classes Run: Classes were perfect (FLM class could be a option for future leagues?)

Time/Day of Events: Saturdays were perfect for the race, however start times could have been later (early in the afternoon?)

Test Races: Not a easy decision, maybe mandatory (with the possibily of absence reports?) on a weekend before the actual race to make sure everybody understands the track rules.

Qualification: Saturdays were okay but I would prefer a seperate qualification day (Fridays?) to have a extended warm-up session on Saturdays.

Forum Structure: Considering the huge information provided the forum is well structured.

Additional Comments: Following the theme of the season the variation of tracks was okay. Sebring, Road America, Road Atlanta were great selections. Daytona was a bit of a let down (dreary) and Le Mans 79 (although it is a well made track) did not fit into the modern racing theme at all. For a future season I could imagine a more international theme on famous tracks (some have been mentioned, like Nuerburgring GP, Imola, Donington, Silverstone, Spa, Zolder, Algarve, Paul Ricard, Dubai, Sepang, Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, Mosport, Autopolis, Suzuka etc.). Along with live stewarding and race control via teamspeak it would be great having a pace car. Also having a live briefing on teamspeak for all drivers before the race would be a good idea. Using SimSync was a large improvement! Maybe it should be considered to use the race connect or a similar tool (and run the race in practice mode) to have a workaround for the infamous disconnects in way that teams can join back into the race with a penalty.

:)

Series Length: The lengths of the races has been perfect!

Classes Run: Yes, I was very happy with the classes chosen. However the diesels arent my favourite P1's as they are a bit hard to hear/notice, the class-lights did help a bit.

Time/Day of Events: Saturdays are excellent as the length of the races makes the Sunday perfect for relaxation. And the testraces during Thursdays is also a good choice.

Test Races: I think they should remain optional, but maybe some points can be awarded or something similar to give an incentive to participate.

Qualification: I've given this some thoughts and I think it would be better to have an 'open qualification', for example - The whole of Monday is an open session for people to work all day setting a fast time. That way come race day people can spend more time doing some last minute checks etc.

Forum Structure: It's been good! Nothing more to add really. :)

Additional Comments: Well a more variation in tracks, and which can be discussed later/somewhere else. Petrol P1's and bring back GT1. I would like to have seen more races(just because its so much fun racing:) ), perhaps something like 5 long distance-races(8-12hrs) and 5 'sprint-races'(3-6hrs) maybe half points can be awarded for the short ones. Or just act as 'fun-races' which are not mandatory. I have some more thoughts about this series but I cant remember them now, they'll probably show up later!
I give this season 4 out of 5, despite some frustrating problems with the mod the season has been great, and almost all teams that took part have been very good and professional.

Series Length: It was finished fast, but then again, many long races, can be tiresome. 5-6 races is great. The race lengths are also great. 6-12 hours makes it both "sprint" and endurance! :)

Classes Run: Good choice. Just like the real life. I also really liked the GT2 instead of GT1 choice. More interesting cars (imho) in GT2.

Time/Day of Events: Can't complain. Saturday is really the "only" day to have such races on. Yes, it may ruin a weekend, like it sort of this for me the Le Mans race. But then again, any other day is virtually impossible. The times is also perfect for one that lives GMT+1 :)

Test Races: Optional! Now, the RMI car was present at 4 of 5 testraces with more than one car, but then again, we had no cars at Le Mans testrace. So, Optional is the way to go!

Qual: I like the way the qual is done now, but maybe a bit longer Warm Up session would've been nice, just to calm down, talk with the team, and get settled down. Oh, and the GT cars running first is also a great idea!

Forum Structure: Uhm, fine I guess :p

Additional Comments: Would've been nice with some more tracks outside USA, but then again. Sebring presents an unique challenge. Daytona is a Roval, something that is rare, and I think it should stay. Le Mans is... Le mans! But there are a lot of other tracks as well. I didn't race at Road America, but I really didn't like Road Atlanta, to short and narrow for me.
Oh, and the race thread for Le Mans came a bit late. Other than that, at fantastic series! :D

Series Length: it was a cracking series, i reckon it would be nice to have a few more races to be honest,

Classes Run: yes perfectly chossen, the gt2 proved to be a great class as did the both the prototype classes

Time/Day of Events: yep saturdays are spot on for the race day, and it also allows you the day after to have a relaxed one before back to work, but i gues if you work weekends it sucks alittle,

Test Races: optional i think works well now the series is well established, and everything is to a high standard,

Qualification: i think qual the weekend before could prove to be fun or worth trying to see how it goes, but there is also nothing wrong with how its currently done now, just one of them thing to try to see if it works or fails.

Forum Structure: well strutured have no problem whit how its done,

Additional Comments: as others have said maybe a bit more variation of tracks, le manns 79 was awsome though, what about a 79 track era series whole series off old tracks, :)

Well, that was an awfully stressful weekend!

We in RMI had a driver problem during the week. Petter Kaasa had to leave the team, to race for the P1 - Torrent Motorsports car, so we was one man short, and Roy was going to rally sweden, and would most likely be pretty tired on Saturday. But luckily Hans Gunnar Hansen was able to step in before, and after the football matches that day.

Just to make things better, my "roomie" where I live, had visitors, friends of both of us. Two guys I hadn't seen for ages, so I really wanted to be with those also, it actually might be the last time I met them for, well, a lifetime (literally speaking, both are moving far, far away soon). So then I had to try to convince Roy and Hans Gunnar (or convince Roy, and then get him to convince Hans Gunnar) to race when I wanted them to :p We managed that, so I was able to both race for around 4 hours, and be with some mates. I got very tired of all that though!
Oh well, I hear both HG and Roy had made mistakes during their stints, and when I saw I was faster than the guys in front of me when I got the car for my first 2-ish hours, I was just concentrating on making no mistakes at all. But then, I suddently hear "OH NOOOOOOO" behind me, as one of my mates suddently had forgotten a key or something... It was no big deal, but it almost sounded like one of them had died, so I went straight into the wall at Tetre Rouge... Oh well, I lost the front of the car, but only 2 seconds slower on the lap.
I then drove steadily until my pitstop, repaired the car, then the laptimes jumped from 3.23 to 3.33...
After driving 45 minutes I gave the car to Roy and joined my mates, and the plan was to drive the car again around 20:30-21:00 local time (19:30-20:00 GMT) and then drive the car home.

But, that wasn't to be. Roy drove one stint or two (I don't know). HG took over, and just drove on, and on, and on, before Roy stepped in again. So I didn't get the car before around 22:30 Local time. By now, my mates had been kicked out, so all I had to focus on was getting passed the Schroten/Schroten and De Wildt/Grönwalls car that was around two minutes in front. After I had done one stint, I was a minute in front of both the other teams. So mission was completed. Now I had a kind of a motivation problem. The car in front was 5 laps ahead of me. So, I just decided to find a speed to keep and then finish. But somehow I managed to drive faster, and faster. I knew I had the fastest lap of the team from my first stint, on 3.21.5, and I had already a 3.20.5 lap. But somehow I managed to drive steadily on 3.19 laps. When the race was closing to an end. I decided I wanted to unlap the team, and lap the team behind me, so I started pushing a bit. And managed that. So, we managed to end up one lap closer to the three teams in front, and one lap ahead of the team behind. And by doing that I managed a 3.18.2 lap. Amazed by myself!

The lapping in this race was just perfect. But almost every GT car had the lights on after the night, that was a bit frustrating. And I never had a problem with lapping - I thought.
A race with so perfect lapping during 11hrs and 59 minutes... But then, the worst lapping of the whole season. The second to last chicane, in the second to last lap. I was steadily braking myself past Simon Melhuish, and far behind Simon the #60 Ecuire SIMotorsport P1 car, decided to launch a lapping move, not just on Simon, but on me as well. Not thinking about the fact that I was on the far left, and Simon on the right. So he jumps over the kerbs, and how the bloody h*ll that car missed me, I think I'll never know. If they had been in a close fight for the third I would've understood it. But they were 30-40 secs behind, going on to the last lap of a 12 hrs race. It is just idiotic to launch such a move. And I think I made my feelings pretty clear after the race as well.

Oh well, thanks for the brilliant season anyway, looking forward to S4 which I expect will arrive! :D

A race with so perfect lapping during 11hrs and 59 minutes... But then, the worst lapping of the whole season. The second to last chicane, in the second to last lap. I was steadily braking myself past Simon Melhuish, and far behind Simon the #60 Ecuire SIMotorsport P1 car, decided to launch a lapping move, not just on Simon, but on me as well. Not thinking about the fact that I was on the far left, and Simon on the right. So he jumps over the kerbs, and how the bloody h*ll that car missed me, I think I'll never know. If they had been in a close fight for the third I would've understood it. But they were 30-40 secs behind, going on to the last lap of a 12 hrs race. It is just idiotic to launch such a move. And I think I made my feelings pretty clear after the race as well.

That scared the s**t out of me!

well
218 Dave Carr-Smith +112.395 Jon Davies +498.234 Jan Larsen +39.270 Denis Porokhniak
219 Dave Carr-Smith +114.098 Jon Davies +517.094 Jan Larsen +21.606 Denis Porokhniak
220 Dave Carr-Smith +125.320 Jon Davies +521.122 Jan Larsen +7.573 Denis Porokhniak
thats how close we were .

After a long season, I would now like to take the opportunity to thank all the team involved with bringing you this series.

Yoeri Gijsen: Handling GPCOS, moderating the forum, dealing with general issues and support on test/event days.

Magnus Dahlgren: Moderating the forum, creating and updating the spotter guide.

SimRace.tv/Lutz Enger: 24/7 dedicated quality support and service throughout the season.

LiveRacers/Stefan Zillik: 24/7 dedicated quality support and service throughout the season.

RaceDepartment: Providing quality exposure, servers and forums for this great series.

Broadcast Team: Simon Smith, Roy Magnes and Joakim Skalstad Thank you for providing us great entertainment and giving up your time during the events. You made a great team.

Ryan Callan: Track work throughout the season.

All of this was provided to you free of charge, I hope you consider making a contribution to the 3 main forms of support we used to make this series possible.

I have made a 100 Euro donation to SimRace.tv and I have also made a 50 Euro donation to LiveRacers. Without guys like this, the series would not be half of what it was, they dedicate their time to providing their great services free of charge so if we can help them cover their costs that would be great.

Donate to RaceDepartment: Link

Donate to SimRace.tv: Link

Donate to LiveRacers: Link

Series Length: Just fine. Perhaps with a bit more time in between races.

Classes Run: Yes. The Diesels are dreary though and hard to hear for other drivers. Perhaps a move to all petrol?

Time/Day of Events: As a European it obviously suits me perfectly. Saturday is the only day.

Test Races: Optional.

Qualification: Days before or on the day itself dosent really matter to me. As long as it isnt held on a weekend as a standalone event.

Forum Structure: Very good and very easy to navigate. Other leagues could learn from this.

Additional Comments:
- Exceptional orginazation. George, Yoeri and all the others behind the scenes deserve a huge pad on the back. This is the best organized league I've had the pleasure of being part of in 11 years of simracing.
- The ability to throw away one result to encurage more teams to go for the overall championship even though they've missed a round.
- More European/Asian tracks. Perhaps head away from the ALMS theme and to the new FIA World Endurance Championship theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Saturday

Votes: 46 53.5%