Racer v0.8.22 released!

Ruud

RACER Developer
Yep, it's at http://www.racer.nl/download/racer0.8.22.zip (63Mb).
Known issues:
- Tracked still displays white
- Generic models don't get transformed correctly to their right location

Mostly this version is a lot nicer in the tonemapping/HDR department; I think it's quite good enough to leave as is for v0.9, so it's easier from now on to tweak content for.

Changes:
- Added speed limiter (controlled per car); see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/engine.htm#speedlimiter
- If the speed limiter is on, the rpm_warning variable will 'flash' between 0 and 1. Useful
for Formula-style cars which indicate it that way.
- Added view var 'speed_limiter' that is 1 if the speed limiter is enabled (default: SPACE key)
- Added rev limiter time per car; see http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/engine.htm#revlimiter
- Added view mapping curve to map input values to output values. This allows for non-linear
dials, such as km/h gauges, commonly seen on lots of cars. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/dials.htm
and look for the 'map' variable.
- HDR tonemapping now uses the Uncharted 2 method. See http://www.racer.nl/tutorial/hdr.htm
This looks cleaner (a bit in the GT5 direction). In constants.cg you can add some gamma to increase
contrast (default=1.0).
- Modified auto exposure filter gain from 0.1 to 0.001 (much slower)
- Decoupled dynamic exposure integration from exposure sampling; made it smoother with less sampling.
- dyn_standard_bump_reflect_f.cg had a bug in its fresnel calculation, resulting in funny reflection
factors. Fixed.
- Multiplayer collisions using forces/torques instead of SetPosition(). Newton could get seriously
stuck when doing that (taking >1 second while resolving collisions for a single step).
Still a bit alpha functionality.
- Flares are now rendering using Cg to be able to give them more light. The 'color' property
of a flare should now be in klux, so a value of around 'color=40 40 40' should be better.
- TOD editor can now zoom in with Z key (multiple zoom levels); some curves needed precision at the low end.
- TOD exposure curve improved so things also work without auto-exposure.
- standard_mix*.cg shaders changed to put the most important texture in layer0. This was needed since
projective lighting only uses the first texture to light the scene, and that was a control texture,
giving funny black & white looks when lit. See http://www.racer.nl/reference/gpushader.htm
- Renderer now caches OpenGL's texenvmode for a small performance gain.
- Added 'reload track' console command.
- Added 'sound reverb <n>' console command. Useful in combination with trigger lines to give certain
areas of the track reverb sound. See http://www.racer.nl/reference/scripting.htm
- Carlswood sky improved (thanks to Luthobu)

Qlog error when selecting car seelection menu and racer crashes!
Thu Nov 11 01:45:27 (INFO): [noqapp/3944] --- application start ---
Thu Nov 11 01:45:27 (INFO): [noqapp/3944] 2 processor(s); setting affinity to 0x3
Thu Nov 11 01:45:27 (INFO): [racer/3944] Racer version: 0.8.22 (Nov 10 2010/18:36:22) - customer: Internet
Thu Nov 11 01:45:27 (INFO): [racer/3944] Physics engine: NEWTON v2.24
Thu Nov 11 01:45:28 (INFO): [racer/3944] Safety changed: SAFE
Thu Nov 11 01:45:37 (ERR ): [racer/3944] WorldScene:DestroyTree(); nodes still present in the tree!
Thu Nov 11 01:45:37 (INFO): [racer/3944] Loading car 'lambomurcielago'
Thu Nov 11 01:45:37 (ERR ): [racer/3944] DBitmapTexture:FromBitMap(): OpenGL error (1284): stack underflow
Thu Nov 11 01:45:40 (FATAL): [racer/3944] Exception 0xC0000005, flags 0, Address 0x004F3182
(this dialog text is stored in QLOG.txt)
OS-Version: 5.1.2600 (Service Pack 3) 0x300-0x1
0x004F3182 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\qlib\qdebug.cpp (line 375): QCrash()
0x004FB55B d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\qlib\qerror.cpp (line 65): QShowGLErrors()
0x0041243A d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\d3\dtexture.cpp (line 667): DBitMapTexture::FromBitMap()
0x0041EFD7 d:\source\trunk\dev\src\libs\d3\dshaderloader.cpp (line 354): AddMap()
0x0060BAA5 [racer]: (filename not available): _getch
0x646F626F [(module-name not available)]: (filename not available): (function-name not available)

PROBLEMS!
blur=0 versus blur=1 has no effect on FPS.

Mirror being on causes objects to flicker off/on with tracks other than carlswood!

default.ini missing some controls, like wipers and clutch, replaced with my default,7z below. Also hazard lights and wipers are both using key-w but don't work and need fixing. Wipers were available in a previous version!

Shadows look good on carlswood but are very bad on other tracks, I use my surfaces and sounds track to adjust shadows by the long fences.

Attachments

• default.7z
    663 bytes · Views: 144
Thu Nov 11 01:45:37 (INFO): [racer/3944] Loading car 'lambomurcielago'
Thu Nov 11 01:45:37 (ERR ): [racer/3944] DBitmapTexture:FromBitMap(): OpenGL error (1284): stack underflow
Thu Nov 11 01:45:40 (FATAL): [racer/3944] Exception 0xC0000005, flags 0, Address 0x004F3182

blur=0 versus blur=1 has no effect on FPS.

For the nasty crash when an OpenGL occurs, get the latest racer.exe from http://racer.nl/download/racer0822b.zip . That will just output to QLOG and not crash.
blur=0 vs 1; it does work here. Blurring might not be your bottleneck; here I run 85fps without, then with blur=1 it's up to 100fps (not Carlswood or anything, just some car/track combo). Can you see a visual difference?

Other issues under investigation.

Every time I turn off shadowmapping (I need to if I want more than 14FPS!) I end up getting this error:

errorja.png

Even if I turn it back on via the racer.ini, I get the same error. The only fix I've found so far is extract the racer.ini again and replace it, help!

Yeah, but I have learned that there is, in 90% of the cases, a setting in the ini that solves the problems. Check mirror settings f.ex. Might be it calls something (fbo?) that causes the error.

Yup.

I got it to run in the end, except it wasn't running right at all, looked terrible. Even after deleting the files and re-extracting from the archive it had the same problem, so I'm back on .21 again :)

THat undefined variable "gamma" error in hdr.cg was causing me problems in wine and XP...
the constant gamma def was commented out on line 374 and the second pow arg was gamma*1.0/2.2 on line 375.
I uncommented line 374 and deleted the *1.0/2.2. This makes the brightness "appear" correct.

I.m getting annoying flickering on faces unless the car is facing into the sun.

Car shadow disappearing with track camera is due to wrong constant variables, try the constants file below.

More problems!
Background movie doesn't work!

Change the speedlimiter key in controls.default.ini from space to t as space is used with edit TOD!

Got good shadows with constants.cg and racer.ini splits. See attachments below.

blur=0 and autoexposure on. If autoexpsure off the lighting is too bright so I need to adjust the TOD and special.ini settings.

Attachments

• 0822_1.jpg
    0822_1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 0822_2.jpg
    0822_2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 0822_3.jpg
    0822_3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 227
  • constants.7z
    1.1 KB · Views: 135
  • racer.7z
    18.5 KB · Views: 155
Yeah, but I have learned that there is, in 90% of the cases, a setting in the ini that solves the problems. Check mirror settings f.ex. Might be it calls something (fbo?) that causes the error.

Some difficult problems sometimes are due to ini settings. Use inidiff.exe, very useful for these cases.

Something's changed between 0.8.21 and 0.8.22, I'm getting some kind of drawing errors, see the screenshot.
Also, shadows are weird and the splits do not follow the SMD camera's direction.

Something's changed between 0.8.21 and 0.8.22, I'm getting some kind of drawing errors, see the screenshot.
Also, shadows are weird and the splits do not follow the SMD camera's direction.

CSM is improved for the next release, more resolution in front of the camera, and z-correction*(1.0-dot(pixelnormal,lightnormal)), so that takes care of that CSM artifact you have there.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back