RaceDriver GRID

UPDATE: Download the demo: click here

Codemasters has released the first images of Race Driver: Grid (Formerly known as Race Drive One).

It's a complete turnover of the RD-series and is focused on what's going on between the starting grid and the finish, according to Ralph Fulton (Head Games Design at Codemasters). Fulton also said that there's no place for designing race outfits and collecting cars.

Race Driver Grid will use the Colin McRae: DiRT engine with an increased damage model: "Damage as small as screws of the car that stay on the track, thus influencing the gameplay."

Gamers can race on official European circuits in cars made by Aston Martin, Koenigsegg, Pagani and many more. In the cities of Detroit, Washington DC and San Francisco there are street races. Japanese cities provide the opportunity to race in neon-lighted streets.

Race Driver: Grid is being developed for PC, PS3 and XBOX360 and is planned for the 2nd quarter of 2008.

Screenshots: CLICK HERE.

[Source: Tweakers.net]

yep also tried it
didn't like it
graphics are great & damage also...but you won't see me buy this game for that only
never got the feel with the cars......(example....i'm turning good, but suddenly i loose control of the car without any notice or without i see that i really did something wrong)....nah this game is not for me...uninstalling now

Just tried it. Looks great and the damage is very well done. It's just not racing... at all...
And if somebody ever wants to know what "rubberbanding" exactly is you can show them this game and they'll understand... :jumping:

Still I might get it when it has dropped in price (like under €20) just for fun. I also like Flat Out, so... :D

My thoughts on why Codemaster doesnt bother to make it a sim...
There are a couple of thousand hardcore sim lovers out there in the world but lets face it,there is millions of kids with ps3 and xbox 360 who loves flashy cars and stunning graphics and dont have a clue how a real race car behaves and probably doesnt care either.Codemaster want to make money not quality sims and i guess i can't blame them.

So after some laps i agree with ......i think all of you :) it sucks !!!
The graphics are awsome and the replay's are incredible but the handling is really arcade.
Ive put FFB full but didnt feel anything that would look like a car .
A big NO for me.
Maybe buy this game to loose some aggression and go online and ramm all of those NFS kids :jumping:

• Jerome Benard

After a test, it's no for me.

I don't buy it because the control is not very good. Its too arcade. No feeling.
:ambulance:

I also think its very arcady, but still fun. And i noticed there are possibilities to change tyre grip and stuff.
In forcefeedback and cars folders, there are XML text files where you can try editing some stuff, to get a better driving-feeling. In the griddemo/cars-folder is the tyregrip.cvs-file.

After quite some time, a properly fun arcade racer for PC. Since Most Wanted and Flatout 2 theres been only half decent to poor attempts on arcade games.
I do not use wheel but gamepad on these.. looks good, nice damage, good sounds.. fun to play.. works for me. :)

Grid Preview

Codies brushes off the DiRT and hits the road.

March 3, 2008 - Continuing a trend that started with its 2007 release of DiRT, Codemasters' next racing effort shies away from both strict simulation and broad customization, a direction that places the emphasis on what the company feels the genre has been lacking of late: having fun with race cars.

We recently sat down with Codies to view a demo of Grid, the latest project in the works by the same team that developed DiRT. Although they don't name names, part of the Codies' marketing pitch for Grid includes a shot across the grill of the developers of Forza Motorsport 2 and Grand Turismo 5. The former, which owned the hardcore racing space in 2007, is a car collection fest with a deep livery creation system. The latter, due in 2008, is being touted as the king of all racing sims, appealing to die-hard digital gearheads.

Grid is being positioned on a different band of the racing spectrum. It's hardcore, but it's not an uptight sim. It has personalization, but not so much that it detracts from the core racing elements. There are cars galore, but you're not trying to catch 'em all. It's an attempt to both differentiate the brand as authentic and broaden its appeal to multiple markets.

race-driver-grid-20080302075325610-000.jpg

Watch the paint, mate.

Codemasters describes Grid as a racing game in which you build a career in what's supposed to feel like a persistent worldwide racing realm. You start off as a rookie drive for hire in America, Europe or Japan. As you win races, you'll be able to hire a teammate, create your own unique team identity and build up a small but focused stable of cars. Along the way, you'll attract sponsors and get to know the names of some of the more than 600 AI racers in the game, all of whom you'll have the ability to hire, fire and race against.

According to the Codemasters team, building your career in Grid is a non-linear experience. You can start in any region you want and build your reputation and bank account as you progress. At the beginning, you'll work out of a dingy garage. But by the time you've hired a teammate (you can only have one) and racked up sponsorships, your digs will improve to match your status in the industry.

But you won't be using your garage for much more than storage. If you're the type who loves to constantly spend your winnings on car upgrades a la Forza and Midnight Club, you'll be disappointed with Grid. The cars you buy are meant to be tuned and groomed to be the best-performing race cars at their level the minute they're delivered. You're a driver, not a mechanic. Aside from changing the paint job, what you see is what you get in Grid's stable of 50 cars.

race-driver-grid-20080302075322719-000.jpg

Like a drifter I was born to walk alone.

But that doesn't mean you'll be stuck with stock cars. This ain't NASCAR, after all. We're talking the Aston Martin DBR9, Dodge Viper SRT-10, Mazda 787B and Audi R10 TDI -- the first diesel car ever to win the 24-hour Le Mans. You'll have the opportunity to attempt an Audi repeat, as Grid features a Le Mans race in which a minute represents an hour, resulting in a 24-minute-long race.

Each of Grid's three regions features different racing specialties. In Europe, you'll compete in events such as Le Mans and GT on both fictional and licensed tracks. In the US, you'll visit cities like Detroit and Long Beach for street races. In Japan, you'll get behind the wheel of iconic Japanese sports cars for drift racing.

As you race against AI opponents in all three regions, you'll start seeing familiar names. The idea, Codies says, is to take note of who's out-racing you and whose style complements your own. Then hire them on to gain an edge in a certain racing style. If drift isn't your best category, sign on a drift master to race with you, increasing your odds of winning. There's a "perpetual calendar" of races, too. So if you're having trouble in GT in France, head over to the US and run your Dodge for a bit.

There is a multiplayer component in Grid, but Codemasters isn't saying much about it yet. We were told it will support up to 12 racers online with very few restrictions on cars and tracks. We also know that the campaign mode is offline-only, and there's no co-op available there. A friend can't pop in as your teammate to help you finish a race, for example.

Grid uses Codemasters' own Ego engine, a step up from the Neon engine used to push DiRT. Codies says it has entirely re-written the damage code used in DiRT, too, making for persistent damage environments. If a fender falls off your Mitsubishi in lap one, you'll pass by in lap three. The same goes for piles of tires, chunks of debris and even competing cars.

race-driver-grid-20080302075317907-000.jpg
Vroom.

If you choose the interior camera view as you race, you'll see it take damage too. At least you will if you race like we do. Nothing about the car damage is scripted, Codemasters told us, which should make for some interesting-looking cars at the end of an especially brutal Le Mans.

If you like to see things get smashed, you'll be happy to hear Codies is including a sophisticated replay system into Grid that will not only allow you to view your races afterward but will also let you rewind mid-race and pick up where you left off if you make an error. Apparently using the replay system in such a way comes with penalties though, such as possibly locking you out of achievements or preventing you from posting to leaderboards.

What we were shown of Grid looked sharp, although we didn't get a feel for what it would be like to progress through a career. We didn't see the car buying process, the race selection process or the teammate hiring process. We also didn't see a race start-to-finish, which made it hard to get a feel for Grid's overall attitude. But menus were well-designed, and the cars looked nice.

Of course, a racing game is impossible to assess until you get behind the wheel, something we still haven't done with Grid. But Codies seems to be hitting the sweet spot that lurks somewhere between Forza 2's bland environments and collection-based mechanic; Burnout Paradise's over-the-top antics; PGR4's drift-centrism; and the looming shadow of GT5's photorealism fest.

Grid is scheduled for a simultaneous June release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC and Nintendo DS.

GRID is released on Steam today:

About the Game

Discover a stunning world of motor sport brought to life, from racing muscle cars through the iconic streets of San Francisco and competing in the legendary 24 hours of Le Mans to drifting around the docks of Yokohama. Jump behind the wheel of exhilarating racing cars in the most aggressive, spectacular wheel-to-wheel races you've ever experienced - then prove yourself online.
  • Incredible persistent world of racing encompassing Muscle car racing, Drift racing, and Circuit racing in Detroit, San Francisco, Milan, Tokyo, Yokohama, Spa, Le Mans and many more
  • Mind-blowing soft-body damage to vehicles and environments to the most aspirational and incredible vehicles and tracks — all fully licensed
  • Stunning visual treatment and accessible handling system
  • Evolution of the physics system used in Colin McRae™ DiRT™ — EGO surpasses all previous engines in terms of AI, effects and packed grids

System Requirements

• Processor: Athlon-64, Pentium 4 3.0GHz
    • Memory: 1GB RAM
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon X1300, NVIDIA GeForce 6800
    • DirectX Version: 9
    • Hard Drive: 12.5GB Hard drive space

Grid PC my view:

Graphicly and Realtime physics wise this is a great game, Driving wise it takes a bit of getting use to and alot of fiddling to get a steering wheel to work just right.

The game models are fantastic and the scenes are awe inspiring and with the right GFX card really stunning. But the interface is stright off the xbox 360 and a bit off putting for true PC gamers.

With a bit of twiddling here and there you can get the forcefeedback and steering stengths to your liking but it seems like a lot of to-ing and fro-ing in and out of the car to get the right feel.

The real time physics are excellant as I said earlier and are ture to the meaning of real time. The damage model is so good youll want to crash over and over again just to see the body pannels wrinkle over time.

I got to try a friends copy who's convinced that it's more realistic than Race, IMO there's two words to describe the handling.

Shopping Trolley.

I didn't complete a lap before I'd had enough, I like DiRT but the engine does not translate well to circuit racing at all.

I agree, spent an hour or so getting the steering 'feel' as good as it can be. I quite like it, in the same sense I play TDU i.e an arcade knockabout with a few beers, nothing more. The prospect of going on-line with it is terrifying. Fun, but not a 'proper' sim.

I do like it, but it seems to lack that 'feel' that Race 07 or GTL gives. I think the graphics and the collision physics are superb. If SimBin and Codemasters got together and produced something with the look of GRID and the 'feel' of Race 07, I'd be biting my arm off to get a copy.:D

Agree with the comments above :)

After playing the game most of yesterday evening, I can say that it's damn good fun to play but the thought of online play is just too much right now. The game is designed for people to just remove their brains and enjoy it. Brain back in and then play a sim like Race'07 or rFactor.

Damage physics are great and the best thing about the game are the graphics and replays - I drove a koenigsegg CCX yesterday and think I watched the replay of the race over and over again for about 20mins drinking a beer - pure "popcorn eye candy" :D

The seasons end a bit too quick though but it's always nice to drive the 24hr Le Mans in 24mins hahaha

Think the most fun I had last night though, was finishing a destruction derby race with no damage whatsoever lol :D

Patch announced

Network bug fixes
• When viewing in spectator mode – wheels should now turn correctly.

• Session searching now functions correctly when there are lots of full sessions (PC and PS3).

• Track and route options no longer change when host gets back to lobby in private/LAN.

• Race results are now correct if a host migration occurs at the end of the race.

• Other player’s progress/positions are now correctly updated when you enter the race results screen.

• Several NaN (brown screen) related fixes. (also this should fix the "thousand-mile-warp")

• Increased bandwith use in network games (to reduce lag)

• Fixed a problem whereby it was only possible to upload one world record ghost to each track (PC and PS3)

• Race to race lobby timer is now 15 seconds

• A timer has been added showing how long the session has been up and running is shown on the tickertape after joining a session.

• Changes to what is displayed in lobby when a player has kick votes.
o The player who has been voted for can see this fact and the number of votes they have received.
o Players who have voted to kick someone can see who they voted for but cannot see the number of votes.
o Players who have not voted do not see anything.

• Added ability to get the next page of sessions in private session results (PC and PS3)

• Banned sessions no longer appear in private session list.

• Reverse gear is now disabled for the first two seconds of a network race to stop players reversing off the start line.

• Added ability to change collision types in online and LAN sessions (not enabled in Demolition Derby).
o Forward Only (this is the normal behaviour for Ranked/Unranked)
o On (Collisions are always on)
o Off (Always off).

• Numerous anti griefing checks to turn off collisions when players are griefing.

• Fix for distance shown in distance online stat.

• A warning message is now shown the first time you enter system link.

• In non-drift races, the race results screen shows the fastest lap that each player achieved in that race.

• When a player retires or terminally damages in race, a message telling all players of this fact is sent to the chat system so displayed in the overlay in game.

• Cars become semi-transparent when collisions are turned off due to griefing.

• Improvements to prediction system to reduce effects of lag when players are close by

Game - general

• Xbox 360 achievement fix. (Drive 'em all)

• Several optimisations and performance improvements.

• It is now possible to look left and right while in bonnet camera.

• Fix for a hang when selecting a gear outside the gears available on the vehicle (this was possible with H-Shifter)

• Fix for cars very occasionally flying into the air when hitting kerbs.

• Fixes for custom action maps

• Track rendering optimisations.

• Brown screen problem no longer awards achievements or causes glowing white cars.

• Fix for airborne achievement – now awarded even if car flips upside down during jump

• Fixed frame rate stalls and stuttering on Xbox 360.

PC Specific Changes
• Added support for Xinput wheel and Logitech Rumblepad 2, including default action map configurations.

• Adding ability to use H-pattern shifter in custom configuration by allowing configuration of gears 1 to 6 and reverse. Same for boost.

• Fix for missing Force feedback on Vista.

• Given user the ability to configure use of a pad or wheel through the hardware config xml file, this means that if the game fails to auto-detect the device type, they can specify it themselves.

• Changing microcode optimisation level for NVIDIA 7xxx series graphics cards to reduce a pause when using each shader for the first time.

• Adding support for triple head displays.

• Graphical corruption fix when using multiple GPU’s.

• Network chat text made less obtrusive.

• Numerous on-going compatibility fixes.

• Improvements to shadows for certain resolutions/aspect ratios.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back