RaceDepartment Needs You! A Call for Car Setups!

Practice will make you faster....not a setup. A setup is meant to achieve more consistency by setting the car to your OWN(!!) driving style.
As a newbie from last year, I can only agree 200% with you: I've gained a ton of time while still on default setup, by practicing and thanks to great fellow racers in club races that gave me lots of advices. There is still room for plenty of improvements but I know better which line I should take, I brake better, etc.
That said, I gain a bit also with setups now... Not aliens' setups like someone mentioned earlier, but just a few tweaks like a better gearing or brake pressure. That's why I was hopping this discussion would lead also to advices for making your own setup... :whistling:

I have a question: what is the use of a pre made setup without knowing which benefit that setup should give you, except for the words "it will make you faster"?
Good point once again: not sure for other games, but in the AMS setup section I have noticed that the uploaders tend to explain the characteristics of their setups, and I find this really useful: if it's for quali, short race, long race. If they tried to gain speed in the straights or cornering abilities, etc. And this is really useful, yes. :thumbsup:

I have a question: what is the use of a pre made setup without knowing which benefit that setup should give you, except for the words "it will make you faster"?
Practice will make you faster....not a setup. A setup is meant to achieve more consistency by setting the car to your OWN(!!) driving style.
I agree that a setup is not a magic bullet and will not automatically give you alien speed. However, what a setup can do is make the car 'feel' that much better, giving you more confidence and, as a side affect, more speed. For people like me that have no idea how to set a car up for their "style", having downloadable setups will be very helpful for both racing and learning. There is sure to be more than one setup per car, so we can download a few and see which one suits us the best. From there we can start working out which tweaks do what.

With exception when it comes to straights, proper transmission for acceleration/speed and roadgrip is faster than default if gear shifting is done right, the practice then lays in getting fast and safe enough around the corners and also includes some personal tweaking to overall balance.

Last edited:
I'd rather would have seen a nice clinic about setups and car behaviour. But i guess peeps want it simple nowadays...surpassing the whole simracing theory and hard work of devs. I mean....why do all the hard work into physics when it takes too much practice to race cars. Let go back to grid and the need for speed...easy simple fun racing:rolleyes:

I'm not one of those aliens that are able to drive 3 seconds under the average laptime, but i can say i'm able to be at 1, 1.5 sec from them. Practice can help, but the setup can make you 2-3 seconds faster depending on the car. Practice will never be enough to reach those times. Anyway, speaking about the idea, i don't think sharing the setups is a good idea. When i started playing, i knew nothing about setups and i used to download setups. The result was that i wasn't always faster with that and when i was, i was just 1 sec faster at best. I think the best thing to do would be to post questions about problems you encounter with a car on a track and get help from the people in this forum. I tried asking "car question" and often there was no reply or a simply copy paste from one of the many guides we all read a thousand times. SHARE KNOWLEDGE, NOT SETUPS ;)

Ah....there we are. Its about those aliens...those that use WSAD or old school wheels without FFB running 800x600 to achieve 800 frames and with a single change in setup they run faster light...
Im too old for this peeps. I just enjoy the racing itself and try to outsmart myself when it comes down to times but hell i will not try to achieve alien times. THEY ARE ALIENS:whistling:

About 10years ago, i downloader this little thing to my desktop. It's still there!
EF9BzsQ.jpg

This is (again ;)) a great idea Paul! I'd be more on the downloader side tho, I have no clue how to make a setup…:whistling: I just started racing online in the past year, and I agree focusing first on driving and consistency seems much more useful for improving at first. But we have great people in the club races, there is always at least one willing to share a setup; and I have noticed lately that using them can help my lap times too. So what if those nice people sharing setups could take the habit to simply post them after the race in the sections you are pointing? It will have a broader audience than the race participants. @Chris just did it for AMS, he went through his setups from previous online races and he filled up pretty quickly the section! Thank you btw Chris, week done! :thumbsup:

I would also be interested in any guidance and tips to get going and try to setup my car myself. I'm trying to gather as many infos as I can and I'm slowly gaining some knowledge but tbh I still feel lost and unsure where to start! I know there are some guides online but they are more explaining what each adjustments do; I feel I would maybe need some general first first steps to get me going. I know it will take time, and I should also still focus mainly on my driving! :p
Hi send an email to@davidporeilly@Hotmail.come for only 5eu or some pounds he sell a set up guide. I am also not a genius in setup ups but this made a lot clear for me still no genius but at least now I have an idea what to try instead off blind adjustments
Or search Rd http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/advanced-f1-setup-guide.1355/v1.0 guide this is free but smaller rhen above one for 5 euro or Google setups in 21 steps is small guide but in several languages as English French and Italian and Spanish (if correct)

Last edited:
Nice sheet! Im using some Excel sheet from GTR2:thumbsup:. But im afraid this is too difficult for peeps to sort out. They want pre fab fast food, out of the box ready to go. :cautious:

There is no setup out off the box a one suits all set , Senna could be fast with his set and Prost not and the other way around its a lot personal settings / driving style

Nice sheet! Im using some Excel sheet from GTR2:thumbsup:. But im afraid this is too difficult for peeps to sort out. They want pre fab fast food, out of the box ready to go. :cautious:
Not everyone has countless hours of time, when he just wants to do a little club run in the evening. There are people with work, children, other hobbies, that just wanna hop into proper clean racing once in a while, and have a working car, that doesn't want to spin out every corner.

It is to difficult? I always thought it was pretty obvious. What does the car do when entering, in the middle or exiting the corner. Although i learned most of my setup skills in dirt rally of all things

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back