RaceDepartment Needs You! A Call for Car Setups!

That's a nice idea. I don't know how useful it really will be because setups aren't typically a 'one size fits all' affair and you still kind of need an idea of how setups work to realise what changed and could be further adjusted to the exact track conditions and your driving style. Guides on how to set up a car are much more important than 'off the shelf' setups. But it'd be a good start.

Btw. this exists for Assetto: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/the-setup-market.10149/

Why not simply have a downloads section ,
Dedicated to car setups , and let the community rate them like they do the rest of the content available on RD ,
I said this like 3 years ago , exact same ,
These setup files are a few kb at best :D

That's a nice idea. I don't know how useful it really will be because setups aren't typically a 'one size fits all' affair and you still kind of need an idea of how setups work to realise what changed and could be further adjusted to the exact track conditions and your driving style. Guides on how to set up a car are much more important than 'off the shelf' setups. But it'd be a good start.

Btw. this exists for Assetto: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/the-setup-market.10149/
I kind of disagree. Its a long learning curve to make changes that make sense and actually work and the novice is inclined to mistake their own improvement for what a set up is doing for them. A good off the shelf set up with lots of notes about what has been done and how it alters behavior and why the setup author did it teaches a lot.

Most education in anything involves having examples rather than just being thrown a manual and told figure it out yourself. Generic set up guides are useful but in reality a really good set up made by someone who gives copious notes on his changes, reasoning, etc effectively acts like a car-specific manual where that set up is a chapter from the whole text on setting that car up.

Combined with the generic set up guide its a far more instructive tool in my experience than simply reading generic notes.

What I am saying is, a setup from someone else by itself is not likely make you suddenly faster. You have to understand the basics and adjust it to the conditions on track and your driving style or adjust yourself to that setup - unless that specific setup fits your needs perfectly by chance and 'just works' (what do you need setups for then, just use the default...).

We'll see about those setups with "lots of notes about what has been done and how it alters behavior and why the setup author did it". Which would exactly not be what I talked about ('off the shelf' setups).

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%