Quest 3 Settings

I've been scouring the internet for advice on setting up my Quest 3 for sim racing (AC, ACC). There's a lot of information for the Quest 2 but not much for the Quest 3. I thought it'd be nice to get the input of members here to see what setup they're happy with. There are a lot of permutations so it'd be nice to crowd source setups - Steam VR, OpenXR & Open Composite, Air Link, Link Cable, Virtual Desktop etc plus all of the possible settings in and out of game.

Right now I'm using OpenXR & Open Composite, which seems to make things a bit clearer.

In the Oculus debug tool I've changed the bit rate to 920 (wired link cable).
In the Oculus app I'm using 72hz, and bumped the resolution up to 1.3x.
In OpenXR I'm using CAS with the sharpness around 80%, 100% resolution.

I've played with the settings in AC & ACC but haven't found the sweet spot yet, I need to do more testing of the combinations.

Anyone have settings they're happy with?

I have a 4090 and I play iRacing.

I also changed the bitrate to 900 (is there any reason why 920? What is the max?) and I put the oculus resolution ti max at 90hz.

I had to lower a few settings from iRacing (in comparison on my ultrawide I could get 200fps) and now I am running at 90fps.

I love it but I am also keen to figure out if the graphic quality can be improved a bit more.

OpenXR and Oculus don't seem to make much of a difference...if anythingit seems I get less FPS on OpenXR

Also I played with a number of cables and some of the "compatible" ones seem to perform better than the original oculus link. I now found one where I can get 2.5gbs on the oculus test most of the times (apparently there are plenty of other variables that influence that too)

I'm considering the quest 3 for sim racing. Do any of you have any opinions / comparisons so far? It's either Quest 3, or I wait for the Valve 2 to be announced > released.

I would be a bit worried due to higher latencies with the quests. I Just got a quest 3. In a near future I hope to compare to the varjo Aero and Rift S.

But seems like you get over 40 ms latency due to the compression code s. The best ones for the 40-series almost 60 ms.

I need to tweak more but I am trying with virtual desktop and wireless. Though to batteri life I guess you really need that cable. I am old fashioned just feels more reliable then wireless though actually performance should be similar?

Text copy from Reddit:
Game Performance menu settings:

Resolution : 1920x1080 60hz ( desktop resolution, not headset)

Texture Filtering: x16 ( sharpness of distant road textures)

MSAA : medium or low (reduces aliasing)

Texture Res : high (texture detail amount)

Reflections - medium (car paint gloss reflection detail)

Environment map - low (wet surface reflection)

Car detail - high (car geometry)

Track Detail - high or medium (track trees, spectators etc)

Pit Crew - on

Shadow detail - low or medium (object distance which produce shadows)

Mirror - No

Motion blur - Off or low (helps with unstable frame rate)

Particle level and density - low (flames , dirt, sparks produced by cars in front)

Visuals menu :

Post Processing filters - ON (subtle colouring tints for seasons and time of day)

Sun flare - subtle for both

Bloom - off (makes bright things glow)

Heat haze - off (makes distant things blur)

Rain - yes

Crep Rays - off (blinding sunbeams/godrays)

Screen dirt - yes (rally mud splashes)

Mirrors - on

Last edited:
I finally tried virtual desktop with the hope of getting iRacing to run at 120fps but I am still stuck at 90fps similarly to the oculus link.

I am using OpenXR (and OpenVR is very unstable for me) and I maxed out all settings in virtual desktop (+ selected AV1 codec) with no luck, so I am tempted to say that probably using the link cable with the standard oculus interface is the easiest way with the best results....or am I missing something?!

P.s.
I run on a 7950x and 4090, so that shouldn't be a bottleneck

I finally tried virtual desktop with the hope of getting iRacing to run at 120fps but I am still stuck at 90fps similarly to the oculus link.

I am using OpenXR (and OpenVR is very unstable for me) and I maxed out all settings in virtual desktop (+ selected AV1 codec) with no luck, so I am tempted to say that probably using the link cable with the standard oculus interface is the easiest way with the best results....or am I missing something?!

P.s.
I run on a 7950x and 4090, so that shouldn't be a bottleneck
In VD, can you hit 120 fps at the lower than god-mode setting and/or with SSW on? And do you have 120hz switch turned on?

Ordered a Quest 3 as well, based on its excellent value for money (£380 new on ebay seemed a bargin) and it working well as a standalone VR AR headset for family is a bonus.

Also ordered the BOBO VR headstrap as it seems a big improvement over the stock option.

My only other VR experiences are original Oculus and PS2VR

I take it with updates we will continue to see improvements and the 120Hz mode being released?

Hope to see people share any videos or info regards best settings to use for the various racing sim titles.

Do we have any other 7800X3D 7900XTX owners with a Quest 3?

Some finds

Last edited:
Yes the Quest 3 is so cheap indeed. I also bought a Quest 3 for Xmas, to ease the waiting for the Pimax 12K or the Somnium.

Do yourself a favor and get a proper setup for the Quest 3!

- Hardware: Get a Wifi 6E dedicated to the Quest 3.
Your PC has to be hardwired to the main router and the additional dedicated WiFi 6E, which has to be wired to the main router, should only be used for the Quest 3. The AXE75 and AXE95 seem to work well for everyone.

- Software: Use VD to achieve the best results.

Many threads and videos etc..on these 2 important points.

Thank me later...LOL

Silly question, but can I not use the wifi 6 of my Asus Crosshair motherboard for Quest 3. I don't even mind having the cable attached if that is still the best option for quality/performance.

Just got it a couple of days so, not yet even tried to connect it to PC...

Last edited:
Yes the Quest 3 is so cheap indeed. I also bought a Quest 3 for Xmas, to ease the waiting for the Pimax 12K or the Somnium.

Do yourself a favor and get a proper setup for the Quest 3!

- Hardware: Get a Wifi 6E dedicated to the Quest 3.
Your PC has to be hardwired to the main router and the additional dedicated WiFi 6E, which has to be wired to the main router, should only be used for the Quest 3. The AXE75 and AXE95 seem to work well for everyone.

- Software: Use VD to achieve the best results.

Many threads and videos etc..on these 2 important points.

Thank me later...LOL

I can confirm this, you need a dedicated Wifi 6E router.

Virtual Desktop with OpenXR support is not only easier to use, but the quality is also better than being tethered to the PC and using the Oculus connect.

One important tip : Get a good USB-C charger and USB-C cable to keep your Quest 3 charged when racing, since the battery does discharge pretty fast otherwise.

120Hz is already supported through VD and as always a RTX4090 is the best video card to fully enjoy the Quest 3 in PCVR.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea