PC2 Project CARS 2 Released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2.jpg

Highly anticipated racing simulation Project CARS 2 has been released today, marking the return of the best selling franchise to both console and PC systems.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios and community backers from the world of sim racing, using the experience of professional race drivers the likes of former Top Gear Stig Ben Collins and sometime Renault Clio racer Nicolas Hamilton, Project CARS 2 looks set to be the most ambitious racing project yet from the British based development team.

Featuring over 180 cars and 60 locations on launch and benefitting from live track technology, advanced weather effects and class leading graphics, Project CARS 2 looks very likely to become yet another best selling release across all platforms following release today.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get access to an advanced copy of the game prior to launch, however in constant quest to bring you all the news and opinion from sim racing (haha, well actually because I cant resist a racing game) I will be purchasing testing this thing thoroughly tonight, with a view to writing up an article over the weekend with my first impressions.

About the Game
  • 180+ licensed cars from iconic manufacturers
  • Full 12K & VR Support
  • Tested and tuned by pro racing drivers
  • All-new motorsports (IndyCar, Oval Racing, Rallycross) join old favorites incl. GT3
  • LiveTrack 3.0: Dynamic surface & weather physics affect vehicle performance and handling in real-time
  • New loose surface racing (ice, dirt, mud)
  • Full 24-hour cycle featuring real-time atmospheric conditions and seasonal ambience
  • State-of-the art physics model
  • Revamped gamepad handling
  • Class-leading Esport capabilities

Project CARS 2 is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community, download some mods and get yourself out on the track in online races for both PC and console.

Well it's here! What do you think? Win, Lose or Draw? Improvement over PC1? Serious rival for the main PC racers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Ya gonna need a patch or 3 a few issues on and off line. But must say the Panoz is worth the price of admission. Still trying to find happy place with the FFB and still cant believe I cant find virtual mirrors?? Why would they take them out? They were in PC1. But so far so good.

I just accidentally found it if you haven't already. Go into Options and HUD Layout. You will see the mirror in the top center. Click on it and make sure it's set to "Full" and not "Off".

I don't believe it has virtual mirrors which is a real shame. It does, however, have proximity indicators that I don't remember the first having.
There is 1 central virtual mirror. Before leaving the pits, it's under options, edit HUD layout. I had trouble getting it to stay on and had to toggle it on and off a couple of times before it would stick.
FFB using the raw setting with a G27 is better.
Clear day graphics don't look quite so good. Haven't tried wet yet.
Not enough game time yet to say any more.

Chris

To be fair, control lag is gone, graphics look good, but it still has NFS physics. Took a couple of old F1 Lotuses out for a drive. It's unnerving to have the 49 not spin around and bite you when you don't care much for the right pedal. This is not meant to be a sim nor to be considered as one.

• Deleted member 241736

Ok first impressions: me amd my son (12) gaming pc2 for about 6 hours yesterday. The result is clear and spoken by Jannis: This will be my game Dad, you still racing seriously AC, fits better 2 y.

Not trying to beat up on you @Greg Latty, but I don't think many give it more than a few minutes before calling PC2 crap. Example, you mentioned "Still has the auto pitlane which is annoying" - this just isn't true, there is an option for manual. Just bringing this up as too many just jump to conclusions. There are a ton of options in PC2.
I too was thinking using the Steam 2-hour return as I really have more sims than I have time but the more time I spent with PC2 the more I liked. Will it replace my rF2, R3E, AMS, AC, etc., no, but those also don't stop me from wanting to race PC2 either. PC2 has things the others don't, why wouldn't I want all. I've never seen so many haters of a particular sim. AC guys slam rF2, rF2 guys slam AC, R3E guys slam AMS, AMS guys slam rF2, but they all slam PC - and PC1 did deserve some of it but PC2 is a different animal.
Nuff said, I'm old enough (63 yrs/young) to know I won't change anyone's mind, and that's not my intent, but those that are open minded may like to know that PC2 is an option to go along with their other favorites. Geeze!
Ok ive been searching for this option.. can you please tell me where i can turn off the car driving itself out of the pits. Please and thank you. I cant foe the life of my find this.. And i am by no means a pcars hater. I actually quite like this game. Otherwise why would i buy it on day 1 .

Ok ive been searching for this option.. can you please tell me where i can turn off the car driving itself out of the pits. Please and thank you. I cant foe the life of my find this.. And i am by no means a pcars hater. I actually quite like this game. Otherwise why would i buy it on day 1 .
In the Main menu in options, you can see: Manual Pit-Stops, put it on, it will let you drive in the pit lane and do manual stops

Playing the game with an OSW direct drive wheel and my first impresssions are really positive. Feels very natural with the cars I have tried so far. I always remember reading an article in which accuforce spoke about how professional drivers configured ffb compared to sim racers. The sim racers were cranking up the settings to give maximum feeling of weight transfer and as much ffb detail as possible, the professional racers did the complete opposite. Spent a couple of hours in the NSX going round the algarve last night and it was a joy, you really felt what the car was doing without it being ridiculously over exaggerated, I sometimes feel many critics mistake over exaggerated ffb sensations for realism.

I drive a 60 mile round trip to work each day on rural roads and sometimes I really try and analyse how the weight transfer, road feel etc get translated to my hands on the wheel. I have come to the conclusion that the ffb in my real car is terrible....lol. It would be absolutely slated if put in a game.

I haven't tried any races yet so cannot comment on AI.

Last edited:
Playing the game with an OSW direct drive wheel and my first impresssions are really positive. Feels very natural with the cars I have tried so far. I always remember reading an article in which accuforce spoke about how professional drivers configured ffb compared to sim racers. The sim racers were cranking up the settings to give maximum feeling of weight transfer and as much ffb detail as possible, the professional racers did the complete opposite. Spent a couple of hours in the NSX going round the algarve last night and it was a joy, you really felt what the car was doing without it being ridiculously over exaggerated, I sometimes feel many critics mistake over exaggerated ffb sensations for realism.

The game felt alive with these street cars but it's race cars with more downforce and stickier tyres where I lost the ball.

Seems a bit better than PC1. I did a few races with the GT3's and they feel quite nice. Sadly If you want to play offline against the AI, it's a mess, there are quite a few much better options out there.
3 big criticisms of PC1 they never paid any attention to. AI, custom championships and it still has scripted weather in career. (although the last one I only have other peoples word for it) Clearly offline racers are unimportant to them.

ok,
i`ve had a days use on PC2 now. At least 2 hours to set up and yes, find out where all the options are. Those that say the "games" crap (its` a sim and deserves to be called so) should avail themselves of the menus for the options before condemning this sim. I have PC1 and AC so I have a basis to do a basic comparison. On my equipment i7 6700k @4.6ghz watercooled GTX1080, 16gig Ram and 2 SSD`s I have no problem running at fairly high settings in VR although Post process must be turned off as in AC as VR does not like it. SS 1.5 asw off in OTT.
My kit. Next level V3 motion platform, GT ultimate rig, T500rs wheel/pedal set with brake load sensor. 2 buttkickers on a 300watt Amp and simvibe. All plugins working. Oculus Rift CV1 and 5.1 surround sound.
There is no comparison to PC1 with PC2. They are miles apart from setup, FFB implementation to gameplay. Early on I will expose the one almost deal breaker I have found. The infamous AI. In PC1 it was crap, nothing more nothing less. In PC2 it`s gone from 10 year olds trying to drive to teenagers on crack. You take your life in your hands trying to survive at the end of the pitlane, get onto the track and your best bet if your`e not Lewis Hamilton is to stay OFF of the racing line or you wil be wasted for no apparent reason at some point of practice or race. It`s unforgivable that the devs put this sim out in this state AI wise. Surely their Beta testers reported this situation back to them or were the testers just fanboys? Patch please, SOON!
As for the rest of this sim AC RF2 and others have seriously got to pay attention now, Even in it`s unpatched state it is simply mind blowing. On my kit those youtube videos we all watched come to life. Round old spa in the rain with an open seater or the closed cars, having the car sliding and aquaplaning on puddles, only to find the other side of the track partially or totally dry the much improved FFB really shines with a good wheel. Sorry xbox controllers, you will be missing sooo much, get a wheel. Motion platform and buttkicker response is true to life with no lag and good telemetry feedback. Incidentally Next Level had the PC2 plugin for the platform 2 months ago. Good support huh. Well done Pagnian. Simvibe support lagging behind although they do work if you use the PC1 plugin in Simcommander and set the ingame shared memory option to Project Cars 1.Good thinking by the Devs there for compliance with older hardware devices. VR support is initially suprisingly good and much improved over PC1. Left the VR menu setups at default. If it ain`t broke dont fix it.
I am not going to comment on the graphics etc as we can see all of the improvements on youtube.
Conclusion so far. 8/10. A superb sim, eminentally playable from the off with much potential for improvement with patches etc, Ai please. Take time to set it up properly in the menus, explore, and you will have an excellent time. Right, for the trolls, I do not work for Bandai, I am a 69 year old pensioner in UK with a passion for Race Sims, thats all. 15 years ago I would have sold my soul for what we have now, and I never stop marvelling at todays technology. Well done devs.
After more time in sim I`ll expand on this report and we`ll see if PC2 improves. For now, Buy it and stick with it, Look at Asseto Corsa now and how it was at it`s inception. And for the Forza fanboys, VR is in and not going away so for me and a growing army of VR users, untill they implement VR they cannot be considered more than a controller led arcade game.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back