PC2 Project CARS 2 Released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2.jpg

Highly anticipated racing simulation Project CARS 2 has been released today, marking the return of the best selling franchise to both console and PC systems.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios and community backers from the world of sim racing, using the experience of professional race drivers the likes of former Top Gear Stig Ben Collins and sometime Renault Clio racer Nicolas Hamilton, Project CARS 2 looks set to be the most ambitious racing project yet from the British based development team.

Featuring over 180 cars and 60 locations on launch and benefitting from live track technology, advanced weather effects and class leading graphics, Project CARS 2 looks very likely to become yet another best selling release across all platforms following release today.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get access to an advanced copy of the game prior to launch, however in constant quest to bring you all the news and opinion from sim racing (haha, well actually because I cant resist a racing game) I will be purchasing testing this thing thoroughly tonight, with a view to writing up an article over the weekend with my first impressions.

About the Game
  • 180+ licensed cars from iconic manufacturers
  • Full 12K & VR Support
  • Tested and tuned by pro racing drivers
  • All-new motorsports (IndyCar, Oval Racing, Rallycross) join old favorites incl. GT3
  • LiveTrack 3.0: Dynamic surface & weather physics affect vehicle performance and handling in real-time
  • New loose surface racing (ice, dirt, mud)
  • Full 24-hour cycle featuring real-time atmospheric conditions and seasonal ambience
  • State-of-the art physics model
  • Revamped gamepad handling
  • Class-leading Esport capabilities

Project CARS 2 is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community, download some mods and get yourself out on the track in online races for both PC and console.

Well it's here! What do you think? Win, Lose or Draw? Improvement over PC1? Serious rival for the main PC racers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this. I have been racing GT4 cars at COTA all morning, and I noticed that if you use a standing start, instead of a rolling start, the ai is a lot better. I don't know why that would be, but that is my experience. From a standing start at COTA at least, the ai is really fun to race against.

Half the guys are saying:
"Really good sim. Although not as great as the competition"

Other half:
"It was never intended to be a sim. For it's purpose it can provide lots of fun"

It sounds like:
Girl: it's ok that you couldn't get me to finish. Especially with the fact that you don't seem to like girls that much. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
:rolleyes:

That alone for me anyway is worth the price of admission for PC2, you can even look past the of the problems and issues because the experience just driving the cars in VR is so real like. I can't believe how VR makes a huge difference in the driving. I see now when someone says they can't go back to 2D once you go VR..lol

Totally agree, I've just finished a multi-class online race at Le Mans in VR. It is just spine-tingling how real it feels, I know it's a simulation but my elevated pulse rate during races tells me my brain this it is real enough. I was running in a GT3 and watching the mirrors carefully and then watching LMP1s come flying past never gets old.

Sure there are issues on both PC and Xbox One versions but this game is pure fun, especially online with friends. For me this is the best game yet in VR, I didn't think VR could look this good and work so perfectly.

Half the guys are saying:
"Really good sim. Although not as great as the competition"

Other half:
"It was never intended to be a sim. For it's purpose it can provide lots of fun"

It sounds like:
Girl: it's ok that you couldn't get me to finish. Especially with the fact that you don't seem to like girls that much. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
:rolleyes:
And the third half is saying that it's the best racing game I've ever played, and a much more complete and accurate simulation of motorsports than the competition. :thumbsup:

• Deleted member 99238

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this. I have been racing GT4 cars at COTA all morning, and I noticed that if you use a standing start, instead of a rolling start, the ai is a lot better. I don't know why that would be, but that is my experience. From a standing start at COTA at least, the ai is really fun to race against.
Guys, why sit and wonder if you can try it yourself?
I bought a Platinum Edition for $ 580 so buy it and you'll see and understand everything yourself.
In vain they did not release the demo, in vain ...

Overall I'm still holding out on my judgement of the game, however if I didn't have to run it in properly because I need to report on it for RD and if I was looking for a replacement for my main go to sims, I wouldn't bother looking to purchase this at this moment in time. Saying that, more time and commitment behind the wheel may change my mind, but so far the signs don't look at that promising...

This will do for me. I ain't in any rush. This just sounds like it's Pcars 1.5 (Which was basically Shift 2.5 in my opinion) to me with newly introduced bugs. If it really improves I will consider purchasing it in a sale but for now I am not wasting my hard earned on this yet. Got other proper race sims to mess about with anyway. Thanks Paul for your honest initial review.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
As a e

As a europan racer,i always prefer standig starts.Rolling is for Americans...
DC

I use reviews for most things - food, films, games, books, music. If reviews are generally good, I will try myself. Review for PC2 seem to be more of the same as PC1: amazing graphics, great night racing, physics ok, not as good as AC, AMS or rF2.

That's all I need to know not to buy it. What SMS are doing with their test drivers is a mystery. I have never driven an F1 car but I have driven a F4. They sure as hell don't float and drift over the race track.

As I said before, I don't trust SMS. They did nothing to improve the PC1 experience, only post abuse to customers. Ian Bell is a particulary unsavoury individual who should be nowhere near their customers.

Shift 1 and 2 were fun, but the benchmark of sim racing has been raised so much since then with AC, AMS, rF2 and RRE. Bells and whistles isn't enough now.

....one last point. I tried Assetto Corsa when the first beta came out way back in 2014 (?). It's graphic requirement was ridiculous, it was almost impossible to run on my PC. I dismissed it as something I would never buy or get into. Did Kunos tell us to get a better PC? No, they worked hard on refining everything, improving all that they could. Suddenly Assetto Corsa was coming to life on my PC. Now, it is my favourite sim by a mile and I have probably spent over $120 on it in DLC.

Ben Collins, you are a funny guy! I know some here hate you for the stuff you post about PC2 again and again....lol I quite enjoy your post, there are funny!I I have no loyalties to any of these game devs or companies. I don't take it personal if someone attacks and criticizes a game I enjoy and have fun with. Never had never will. If you feel that way about PC2 that's fine with me and as long RD is fine with it.... keep going bro!.....I love reading them!..lol

Ben Collins, you are a funny guy! I know some here hate you for the stuff you post about PC2 again and again....lol I quite enjoy your post, there are funny!I I have no loyalties to any of these game devs or companies. I don't take it personal if someone attacks and criticizes a game I enjoy and have fun with. Never had never will. If you feel that way about PC2 that's fine with me and as long RD is fine with it.... keep going bro!.....I love reading them!..lol

Yup freedom of speech :D ...

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 230 88.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 48 18.4%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 36 13.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 39 14.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 89 34.1%