PC2 Project CARS 2: Rallycross, Jaguar and Some Mitsubishi's

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
PCARS 2 Rallycross 4 1.jpg

Take a first look at Rallycross in action on Project CARS 2, plus some nice shots of the Jaguar F-Type and several Mitsubishi's...

During the development phase of Project CARS 2 Slightly Mad Studios have partnered up with the 19 times X Games medal winning team OMSE, in a technical partnership aimed at helping the developers create loose surface racing within the Project CARS franchise for the very first time. Using the technical know how of the team, plus driving consultants from their Red Bull X Games drivers Mitchell deJong and Oliver Eriksson, SMS claim this new portion of the game has "not just the physics, but the frenzied feel of rallycross is as brutal in-game as it is in real-life".

What is more, SMS have confirmed the 'Live Track 3.0' technology that allows dynamic racing surface changes will also be active in Rallycross mode, giving the opportunity for the tracks to dynamically alter during the course of a race as players blast across mud, snow, ice and asphalt.

Honda, Ford, Mini, Renault and VW will be represented in Project CARS 2 Rallycross, with laser scanned versions of US-based DirtFish, Daytona, ‘Hell’ at Lånkebanen in Norway and the rallycross tracks at Hockenheim, Knockhill, Loheac-Bretagna and Lydden Hill in the UK.

Further to the official Rallycross trailer, IGN Espania have released this direct capture in game footage of the discipline (although not in English) that gives you a taste of the action to come once the game releases towards the end of the year:

As well as the announcement and footage of the Rallycross cars in action, SMS have also released a new batch of in images featuring a selection of the cars revealed so far. We've already seen a few shots from the F-Type Jaguar, but it's beautiful so deserves another spell in the limelight. Also included in the latest image release, and somewhat appropriate to be included in a post about Rallycross considering it's rally racing heritage in the hands of such greats as Tommi Makkinen and Richard Burns, is the ever fresh faced Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, coming to the game in a number of different generations of the model. Now can we expect a Subaru to play with it.....?

Please don't forget to check out our cars revealed so far thread where we will attempt to keep an up to date list of the cars teased, revealed and leaked on the build up to the new game.

Project CARS 2 is due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and Windows PC towards the end of 2017.

PCARS 2 Rallycross 3 3.jpg
PCARS 2 Rallycross 2 2.jpg
PCARS 2 Rallycross 1 1.jpg

Check out our Project CARS 2 sub forum for a place to join together with fellow race fans and discuss the game prior to it's launch around September 2017. Once the game is publically available we will be hosting further sub forums with racing league and club events, downloadable setups, mods and more. Stay tuned for all the action here at RaceDepartment!

PCARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4.jpg PCARS 2 - Jaguar F-Type.jpg PCARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 1.jpg PCARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 3.jpg PCARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 5.jpgPCARS 2 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 2.jpg

Excited to see Rallycross in PCARS2? Do you think the game could be a rival for the upcoming Rallycross cars in DiRT 4? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I honestly wasn't that hyped about Pcars 2 after the struggles with the first Pcars FFB. But now they're really pushing that eye candy and it sure looks tasty. So if SMS worked on the FFB and physics as much as they did on the graphics, then I might actually be a little hyped. :rolleyes:

I'll copy-paste my post from the other thread.

"Work in progress". I hope for some progress there, was some weird points in the trailer.

Also slightly interesting to see how Codemasters was asked/told not to use real life stages etc. for DiRT 4 due to licensing to the official games, while SMS have managed to get much licensed stuff from the FIA WRX in to this game.

The FIA WRX license doesn't come like a package unlike the WRC. Everything needs to be licensed separately. Cars, tracks etc.

What I've been told anyways :)

Excited to see Rallycross in PCARS2?
Yes. Rallycross is my favourite circuit racing, and i was pretty underwhelmed by it in Dirt Rally, physics have been odd, FFB not really good, and the lack of circuits rendered it useless. Now seeing 7 tracks for Pcars2, a few of them even laserscanned (was there ever a laserscanned loose surface track before?), and RX cars coming with it, i am stoked.
Do you think the game could be a rival for the upcoming Rallycross cars in DiRT 4?
Not a rival, but completely leave it in the dust. More circuits, laserscanned circuits, way better street physics (even if there would not be a progression from Pcars1, which i don't believe will happen), livetrack which plays a huuge (bigger then in any other racing series really) part in RX, better cars....list could go on.
Now pl.pl.pl.pl.pleeeaaase bring it on in club races!!!:inlove:

I honestly wasn't that hyped about Pcars 2 after the struggles with the first Pcars FFB. But now they're really pushing that eye candy and it sure looks tasty. So if SMS worked on the FFB and physics as much as they did on the graphics, then I might actually be a little hyped. :rolleyes:

I think you're in for a pleasant surprise, then. :)

That looks a LOT like Dirt Rally rallycross bits. PCars never looked right in any video, but this looks very much right. Not a slight hint of the stiffness of the first game. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

To be fair the rallycross content in Dirt is a tiny component, there are only 3 tracks and it is only really there to offer online content, and the last patch was designed to fofer console players more content to play online, nothing else.

I love rallycross, but loath WRX and IMG the people that run it. ANd in the game I perhaps have played rallycross for 2 hours of the 300 or so I have put into Dirt Rally.

It is almost a mod it's that crap.

I think you're in for a pleasant surprise, then. :)
I really hope you're right. If not, I'll remember your name, hunt you down, knock at your door, then point my finger at you and say you were wrong. :laugh: Ok I won't go that extreme, too much damn work. :sleep: But I will come back to this post and let you know if you're right or wrong. ;)

Honestly I do hope it's awesome. I wasn't going to buy it, but now it's starting to look tempting. Pcars1 had many positives, but It also had quite a few negatives that never got corrected. We'll see if they live up to their promises. :cautious:

I really hope you're right. If not, I'll remember your name, hunt you down, knock at your door, then point my finger at you and say you were wrong. :laugh: Ok I won't go that extreme, too much damn work. :sleep: But I will come back to this post and let you know if you're right or wrong. ;)

Honestly I do hope it's awesome. I wasn't going to buy it, but now it's starting to look tempting. Pcars1 had many positives, but It also had quite a few negatives that never got corrected. We'll see if they live up to their promises. :cautious:

Indeed we will. In any case, I would suggest not buying pCARS 2 at launch if you feel SMS has got something to prove compared to pCARS 1.

Wait for a patch or three and then try it on someone else's rig and see if it's for you. That way you'll be making an informed decision. :)

Indeed we will. In any case, I would suggest not buying pCARS 2 at launch if you feel SMS has got something to prove compared to pCARS 1.

Wait for a patch or three and then try it on someone else's rig and see if it's for you. That way you'll be making an informed decision. :)

So are you saying you found no fault with the first title? You were completely happy with Pcars1? And yes, they have something to prove to a lot of people that invested in their first title. That's the way it works.

I won't buy on day one, I rarely do with any game. I will wait for reviews. The sim community is very good about speaking the truth when it comes to rating new titles. :D

So are you saying you found no fault with the first title? You were completely happy with Pcars1? And yes, they have something to prove to a lot of people that invested in their first title. That's the way it works.

I won't buy on day one, I rarely do with any game. I will wait for reviews. The sim community is very good about speaking the truth when it comes to rating new titles. :D

If that's what you read from my post, I must've worded it very poorly.

I sympathize with everyone who feel they got bitten by pCARS 1. And no, I certainly wasn't completely happy with pCARS 1 -- not by a long shot.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.