GT5 Post your Gran Turismo 5 rating

Nice mix of the good and bad there Ross, and a fair score of 7/10 to boot, I agree GT5 has got a lot more potential which will hopefully be realised as the updates are released

It would be interesting to hear the views of those who gave it a 1/10 and 3/10, though its inevitable that with these kinds of forum polls that people will just drop on by and give low scores just for mischief, dissapointing, more so when one of those low scores that were given without comment came from an RD moderator.

They either forzafanboys, or they crash all the time so they are dissapointed that there is no Gridlike damage.

Probably some of them dont even have the game ;)

Ross, try the new seasonal events, they are really challenging, for me it gave the game a huge boost.

I have to disagree about the difficulty compared to GT4, you're looking back with rose tinted glasses i think, i remember just as easily beating the AI in GT4 and infact the FGT championship was a lot easier, though it was a lot longer (Full GP length races, and a full season) the F1 cars driven by the AI could be beaten by LMP/Group C cars, where as the same championship in GT5 (though a lot shorter) is a challenge in the FGT.

All of the A-spec races in GT4 were very easy, save for maybe one or two and a lot of the game could be won by B-spec which allowed you to fast forward time by x3. Challenges were hard in GT4, but i don't think nothing compared to trying to gold Suzuka in the Sebastian Vettel challenge. I completed GT4 with 100% (Using a gamepad i might add) and i am at 94% on GT5 and i really really disagree with GT5 being easier.

Next, in GT4 you could get money very easy, one of the early special conditions (rally) events on a road track for 5laps awarded a car worth 260,000 credits, so by selling that and the prize money you would have just under 300,000 for the event, it was also repeatable and you could win the car every time. In GT5 you can only win a car once, though money is easy to aquire using the american series indy race, its no different to GT4.

Big money is awarded in GT5 for completing the challenges, but they are a one off deal, in GT4 the prizes for winning races and especially championships were great, the championship money prizes of GT4 dwarf that of those in GT5, and championships also awarded expensive cars, were repeatable and the prizes were awarded again each time, which as we all know GT5 car prizes only happen on the first time.

To be honest I was expecting alot more than this, last played GT2 back in the day and after a brief dabble with GT3 came to the conclusion that the series had become a stale and boring single player game as the AI offers no challenge, so recently got myself a PS3 in preperation for GT5 and a return to form for the series.....

Well I am hoping that once I get up to the race spec premium cars the game will become great, but up until then it will be a joyless slog, AI are still dumb and dont offer any challenge, collision detection is as bad as always with a only one sound affect being used (imagine someone hitting the side of a transit van with you inside to get the idea), damage is almost non existant, same old courses from back in the day, graphics vear from the sublime to the dam right ugly, I hope i can justify my £300 investment in the future, but for a game that uses the power of the PS3 I was expecting a super polished racing experience and it just does not deliver.

With 5+ years in development and the only thing that is any good is the physics and FFB (DFGT) only just mind, braking is like the car has only got rear brakes fitted once you switch all the driving assists off (which you have to do pretty much before every race), do the developers actually drive a car? Lift throttle oversteer mid corner in mildly tuned Toyota Yaris oh please! The menu sytem is a muddled mess, cant switch the distracting on screen info off either, dash board views no better than FM3 from what I have seen so far, no online car class system so be prepared for 1000+bhp skylines, custom lobbies are a mess, anyone can start the race not just the host, no match making either, to me a game lives or dies with its online features and these guys dont have a clue.

The only reason that i still have this game is on the hope it will get better as I play it more and the developers add more features to the online side, but as 1st impressions go i will score the game 5/10

Edit: After extensive weekend play with the race cars in arcade mode where the GT5 physics come into full effect the game gets 7/10, still let down by to many flaws, career mode is still boring as hell, I want the race cars now not have to slog through the incredibly dull GT mode.
I'm at level 27 now, I can say it gets harder when you try to race in the Formula world championship. Of course getting one is tricky, I happend to stumble across it in the used car lot today. Lucky. I've only been playing the game for a week, got it for Christmas. Started on Sunday.

I gave it an 8. Its really lacking events in A-spec to help bridge the gap once you get to level 30+. Sure the seasonal events help, but there's a lot of courses within GT5 that aren't/rarely even used in A-spec races. What's up with that?

There are 0 races that use the SSR7 track, though to be honest its not a great track unless you're testing top speed. Not enough races using the Le mans layouts either. The Formula GT series is probably the only difficult race in the game. The first seasonal events were really challenging before they removed the tuning restrictions.

A solid 8.5 out of 10. To put that in perspective I'd give the following scores for other console titles I own based on what I've seen in GT5: Forza 3 - 7 Race PRO - 4, Supercar Challenge 6.5, DIRT2 - 8.

Supercar Challlenge-6.5 and Race Pro-4... WTF are you smoking :^) J/K'ing, but I think you dislike RP because you can't drive it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------

RP=7 (only graphics keep it from being higher, get the Mid Ohio Course!)
SCC=3.5 (graphics ar the only decent thing in the game)
GT5=7.5 (WTF 5 years, I think they BS eveeryone and worked on this last 12 months)
Dirt 2=6.5 great fun
F1 2010=7 (so much potential, so disappointing)
FM3=8 (editor, storefront, auction house, reseller is what really helped this game stay alive and DLC)

PHYSICS 8/10
I quite like the physics as they are easier to just step in and drive than rFactor, and there's more feel(weight) to the cars than in FM3.
Longer braking distances than Forza is definitively a plus.
I prefer physics to be predictable rather than realistic.

GRAPHICS 7/10
This is not an important category for me but I think this game is on the same level as FM3, which is surprisingly "bad" compared to other games of other genres.
Most cars look like ****, while a few premium cars actually look very realistic.
But as I said, good graphics isnt important for me.

SOUND 7/10
Some cars have great sounds while others are very poor.
There are also several sound related bugs which lower my points for this category.
Not being able to turn off the annoying sound effects in races is a minus.

SINGLEPLAYER 6/10
I like the challenges but A-spec and B-spec isnt that good in my opinion.
Most races allow you to use cars which are ridiculously better than the AI's.
In A-spec, most races the AI are so bad you can easily beat them with cars which are far worse than theirs.
Almost all races have rolling, single file starts.. which makes it feel more like a parade than a race. Huge minus for that.
Almost none of the races have 16 players.
Almost no races have different weather or time.
B-spec is soooo boring and time consuming :/
No savefunction in the endurance races means Ill never complete it or even try most of them.
I also dont understand why there are no rally events in A-spec/B-spec?

MULTIPLAYER 6/10
Although not the developers fault, random lobbies are usually filled with idiots.
A plus for pre-race lobbies where you can practice, just like in PC games.
A small plus for seasonal events which can make the game last a little bit longer.
Again, not the developers fault but Im surprised that almost noone uses a headset in contrast to X360 where almost everybody uses it.
Not enough search criterias for lobbies.
There's not really anything "new" here.

GENERAL 5/10
Not being able to sell all cars is stupid.
So few premium cars after 5+ years of development? Embarrassing.
Race modification for 10 cars out of 1000? Stupid.
A plus for having to maintain the cars, but a minus that you cant use them in Arcade mode without them wearing down.
A minus for not letting us photograph ALL cars instead of just the premiums.
A minus for not being able to share replays.
A big minus for no livery editor.
A small minus for not letting us preview the cars when changing their color.
You can turn off the speedometer but nothing else on the HUD, annoying.
Logitech G27 not fully supported is a definite minus for me.
The lack of damage is a huge minus.

RESULT 6.5/10 (I gave it a 6 in the poll)
I would say GT5 isnt worth buying UNLESS you already have a PS3 and a good wheel.
If you want online league racing on consoles, go with FM3 instead.

To be honest, the most fun I have in GT5 is the Arcade mode.
Here I can choose a track and a car and the game usually chooses a variety of opponents, meaning you'll usually have someone to fight.

Very Spot on Emil.

For the development cycle it doesn't feel like a game that was 5 years in the making. Feels more like a year. Basically the Call of Duty of racing games is what this feels like. If that makes any sense at all.

Does not mean it's a bad game. I just expected much more. I'm still going to play the heck out of it though.

I had skipped on GT for the entire PS2 generation. Going with games that offered online support instead. Games like Forza for Xbox and 360.I was hoping that GT5 would remind me why I enjoyed GT and GT2 so much in my younger years. However, while I almost have that. 'This is the ultimate console racing game feeling'. There is just to many features missing. Most Emil has already listed or implied so I will not dive into those.

The Online

Feels uninspired and tacked on. I feel like I'm playing an early xbox live game.

This is what racing is about for people like myself...The multiplayer. For now the system they have works, but it does just that. It works. Passable at best. Which for some is good enough. I will deal with it and learn to adapt. However, the online could have been so much more. For an era of console gaming where multiplayer can make or break a game. The multiplayer feels featureless. All in all GT5 is solid and I hope the next release is the game I was expecting in 2010.

I agree with a lot of emil's points but I think the scores are being a tad harsh. I have these points to make.

You can turn off the whole hud
G27 is not fully supported but everything works as it should, you just can't remap it.
You can photograph standards, just not in photo travel mode, you have to do it in race replays
Cars wear down but can be put back to new in GT Auto, for a price.
17 Cars have Racing Modifications
You said most cars look like ****, that would be the 800 or so standards, all of the premiums look fantastic.

Don't get me wrong i do really like and enjoy this game an i am still playing it all the time even after months after its release but as Mark set on the first page it is a game only held back by its flaws. I think the thing that bothered me most was waiting 5 years for a game that didnt make me jump for joy as the predecessor had done. In my opinion for its time etc GT4 was just short of perfect. Cars, tracks, photo mode, mid race b-spec changes, b-spec fast forwarding, tuning detail, more tuning companies and the list goes on for why GT4 was just above and beyond the expectations and fulfilled entirely what i love in a racing game for racing game enthusiasts. GT5 took 5 years to be release and in more ways than not it was a step backwards and and full of short comings. The first being what seems to be an adaptation of its true sim roots to accomadate for a less enthusiastic crowd by slimming down the A-spec progression, making grinding the key to success and putting in just enough premium cars to make just the more popular cars pretty. For me this game needed to be more than a graphical and physical improvement after 5 years. All the vehicles should be either premium quality or at least allow you still change wheels etc on the standard model cars. The tuning depth has also been toned back alot and i will admit it is alot easier and simple to do but its not really what keen races are looking for - a straight forward by everything you can NFS type option. 3 things would of made this game a 8.5/9. All cars premium with damage, cut the amount of grinding required improving the A-spec mode layout. Instead it does feel like ive been trolled for 5 years. I think the online and multiplayer is also not quite adequate, arcade mode does feel like something they slapped together rather fast and as Chris said after 5 years of research and developement? We should not have so many things letting us down.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.