Post Pictures Thread (part 4)

ferrariu.png
super fast screenie, low quality :p

SwiftPL, Bad reflections from road - that's why we need good water cg's
I'm more worried about the self-driving car hehe ;) :D

I wonder how hard those watery reflections are to do. I've seen em back in old DX9 games and although not amazingly sharp they don't really need to be for watery reflections on a bumpy road any way.

I'm guessing the shader should be a piece of cake for a pro these days...!?

It would be nice to have there purely for wet weather as it really does add a lot, especially when driving with other cars... the blurry HDR reflections of head/brake lights in the road surface would add a huge amount of realism and quality!

Cheers

Dave

I started with NFS5 properly, but NFS4 was the king really which I got a year later (a good 3yrs old at that point probably)

Every single track and the 'feel' of it is vivid in my memory, Dolphin Cove, Durham Road, Alpine Pass and all those classics.
Then the mod cars over the years. Rain, sunny, reverse, mirrored, racing, police chases... multiplayer. Car interiors, mods etc.

It really did cover so much stuff for back then. Today's commercial games almost feel really limited in comparison. Yes they look great and stuff, but they don't really give you as much scope for then enjoying the content.

I guess these days they don't want you to be happy with NFS10 for years, they want you to play it then get ready for the NEXT one in a years time and pay out all over again.

I actually think a lot of games these days are made so that they only last about 12 months and then you kinda get bored, perhaps even less. Then you are ready for the next one. My brother and I used to play games for literally years back in the day. I still fire some old games up in DOS Box, or have things like MM2 and Viper Racing working.

But NFS HP2, Shift1/2, all those games for the last decade in the genre I'm just not feeling at all...

Which is a huge shame, they all look fantastic and some have some really great assets in them... just the game play doesn't tie you in for long.

Hmmmm

Dave

I guess these days they don't want you to be happy with NFS10 for years, they want you to play it then get ready for the NEXT one in a years time and pay out all over again.

I actually think a lot of games these days are made so that they only last about 12 months and then you kinda get bored, perhaps even less.
Well, isn't that just the perfect business model? Make games that are good but last a little, so you will soon buy another one?

I think the mass explosion of gaming and console ownership has swung the demographic games companies go for. Makes good sense, but it generally means games that I don't really like playing most of the time.

NFS6 was diabolically bad, the first proper cross-platform NFS? I think it was, and it went down hill from there...

Anything that works on all platforms is probably aimed at a wide market = no specific appeal or interest = flashy but empty hearted. There are odd gems in there but generally it's all poo.

Relatively recently I went through C&C1 again, start to finish, and RA2 Yuri campaigns... then I was back playing Tornado flight game and winning a few campaigns... yes they look a bit iffy but after an hour I really didn't care or notice.

I guess there was some real junk back in the 90's and 00's but there was also plenty of amazing games that I kept and played for years, and still play now :D

Anyway, gone a bit off topic there sorry :D

MM2 ftw!111!!

Cheers

Dave

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering