Cars Porsche 993 GT2 EVO

Hello RaceDepartment,

Hopefully no one is sick of Porsches after three DLC packs.
1564fa75383a59efedbe7458f6179e8b.jpg

With that being said, currently a Porsche 993 GT2 EVO is in the works by me. I am looking for anyone who’s willing to assist me with this venture. I know that many talented modders are already occupied with their own exciting projects, but as it stands now I have little experience and seek direction. For time’s sake and to reach the fidelity I had originally envisioned for this mod, I would like more than one person working on the car.

What’s done so far?

- Physics: I believe most of the physics are complete with the exception being the aero. I tried my best to replicate the car with what information is available officially and around various Porsche enthusiast forums. Of course, I am open to suggestions, I want the car to be as accurate as possible. Naturally the main issue I ran into is that no one GT2 race car is the same between different teams and eras of racing

- Sounds: The audio levels could perhaps use more tweaking, once more I am open to suggestions. I tried with the best of my current abilities to replicate the distinctive sound of the GT2.

- 3-D Art: Very early stage of development. I come from an Autodesk Inventor background, so free sculpting is not my forte. This is the area I require the most assistance with and perhaps arguably the most difficult area to tackle. Also, I am open to outsourcing the 3-D side to a more talented individual.​

Any form of help is welcomed! I want to do this awesome car justice!

Below is some in-game media and current 3-D progress.

View pictures here
l l
l l
\ /​
http://imgur.com/gallery/4OpOy

Link to download car here
l l
l l
\ /​
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzBQNLoI2PiRUDlLUm5wOUZGZ0E/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Intressting project! I wish you good luck!
I know a 3d modeller who allowed me to use his marcos lm600, sard mc8r, viper gtsr, viper rt10 for a assetto corsa conversation..
Hes very talented and has done plenty of awsome mods to gtr2..

But the ting is.. i saw him doing a splendied model of the porsche 911 gt2 993..
If you would like to.. i could try to ask him persmission for that model aswell..
Maybe it could save you alot of time within the 3d area.... Im personal a amature 3d artist.. unfortanly despite i admire this project, i simply dont enough time to help you personal..

Starting modelling with a Porsche is a bad choice, ask me how I know that :roflmao: all those round curves. But with all that physics work and sound (which is really great already, love the slow spool!) I think going VaporOnes direction would be a good choice. Working with a "finished" model will teach you a lot.

HdqxujD.jpg

Those picture of the rim and suspension bits, were those done in CAD? They look way too highres, overall the goal for a complete car is at around 300,000 triangles/tris max, if you'd keep the resolution you used on the rims fro the rest of the car, you end up somewhere entirely different. You can use converted CAD files, but in my experience this works best for very angular pieces (I did the KRB Audi's wheel hubs in CATIA V5, converted it to Blender via (I think) WRL format, then rounded the edges).

I'll be making a stock 993 for my NFS project:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/the-need-for-speed.134193/

So if someone wants to take over to make a GT2, that'll be a solid base to work on.
That is very tempting! Challenging to match the quality of said solid base!! But tempting indeed.
You still have the 512 first, so it gives me time to finish the caterham as well :whistling:
I love the GT2 and really hoped for it in the porsche pack...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Starting modelling with a Porsche is a bad choice, ask me how I know that :roflmao: all those round curves. But with all that physics work and sound (which is really great already, love the slow spool!) I think going VaporOnes direction would be a good choice. Working with a "finished" model will teach you a lot.

HdqxujD.jpg

Those picture of the rim and suspension bits, were those done in CAD? They look way too highres, overall the goal for a complete car is at around 300,000 triangles/tris max, if you'd keep the resolution you used on the rims fro the rest of the car, you end up somewhere entirely different. You can use converted CAD files, but in my experience this works best for very angular pieces (I did the KRB Audi's wheel hubs in CATIA V5, converted it to Blender via (I think) WRL format, then rounded the edges).
Yes embarrassingly I used Inventor and from there imported it into 3Ds Max. Although it is not entirely meant to be a 1:1 accurate representation of the suspension as it won't normally be seen.

Intressting project! I wish you good luck!
I know a 3d modeller who allowed me to use his marcos lm600, sard mc8r, viper gtsr, viper rt10 for a assetto corsa conversation..
Hes very talented and has done plenty of awsome mods to gtr2..

But the ting is.. i saw him doing a splendied model of the porsche 911 gt2 993..
If you would like to.. i could try to ask him persmission for that model aswell..
Maybe it could save you alot of time within the 3d area.... Im personal a amature 3d artist.. unfortanly despite i admire this project, i simply dont enough time to help you personal..
Is the model you are referring to from GTR2? Regardless I would greatly appreciate it.

I come from an Autodesk Inventor background, so free sculpting is not my forte.

I hear ya. I've been using Solidworks for 13 years and I tried to teach myself 3DS last year. Christ what a nightmare... I understood how the tools worked, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the (seemingly) ass backwards modeling stream in 3DS. Unfortunately Real Lifestarted picking up and I lost the time to dedicate to it. I did some poly modeling in Zmodeler way back in the day, but I've been using a solid modeler for far too long now, and just couldn't break that way of thinking.

I still really want to learn proper polygon modeling for games, but I'm going to need to quit my job for that, it looks. :O_o:

Best of luck! Always loved this awkward little guy.

Is the model you are referring to from GTR2? Regardless I would greatly appreciate it.

The model the guy i know did was done for assetto corsa standards.. but hes a very respecteble guy in gtr2 community.. like others he wanted a change or a improvement from what gtr2 offerd.. he lost time and switched priorities..

But it seems you have gotten a very good offer from A3DR..
I dont belive i would dare to say no thanks to his offer if i were in your shoes..
You will have eventually have one of the greates assetto corsa models as a base for your racing version!

Sure, if you don't mind the waiting, I'm willing to offer the base 993 to work on. Even better if someone as skilled as @Ben O'Bro wants to take it!
It was my favorite car in Sports Car GT (EA, 1999)
That is very gracious of you. I do not mind the wait. You are welcome to PM me with a time-frame or whatever you feel more comfortable with. With your experience what would be involved altering the body to match the GT2 besides just attaching a wing?

I hear ya. I've been using Solidworks for 13 years and I tried to teach myself 3DS last year. Christ what a nightmare... I understood how the tools worked, but I just couldn't wrap my head around the (seemingly) ass backwards modeling stream in 3DS. Unfortunately Real Lifestarted picking up and I lost the time to dedicate to it. I did some poly modeling in Zmodeler way back in the day, but I've been using a solid modeler for far too long now, and just couldn't break that way of thinking.

I still really want to learn proper polygon modeling for games, but I'm going to need to quit my job for that, it looks. :O_o:

Best of luck! Always loved this awkward little guy.

Thanks! Yes I am the same way, used 3ds Max too late after settling myself down into what I was comfortable with.

That is very gracious of you. I do not mind the wait. You are welcome to PM me with a time-frame or whatever you feel more comfortable with. With your experience what would be involved altering the body to match the GT2 besides just attaching a wing?

Do you really consider is "just attaching a wing" the only difference? there's the whole wide body kit (fenders, skirts, hood, bumpers) to work on other than the wing, and the interior is completely different. I'd say from the stock 993 can be used about 80% of the body geometry, but on the interior it'll need new panel work, as it's all bare bones in there. Only the dash will be useful.

Time frame? no, can't commit to anything right now, I know this could be an issue but that's all I can offer at this moment. I need to get the 512TR rolling first, and then there's the Viper RT/10 before the 993, so it'll take some time (all done in my spare time).

Do you really consider is "just attaching a wing" the only difference? there's the whole wide body kit (fenders, skirts, hood, bumpers) to work on other than the wing, and the interior is completely different. I'd say from the stock 993 can be used about 80% of the body geometry, but on the interior it'll need new panel work, as it's all bare bones in there. Only the dash will be useful.

Time frame? no, can't commit to anything right now, I know this could be an issue but that's all I can offer at this moment. I need to get the 512TR rolling first, and then there's the Viper RT/10 before the 993, so it'll take some time (all done in my spare time).
Sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding. I am familiar with the car. That's why I said "besides" either way I know there is a lot involved with the conversion. I'm in no particular hurry, and appreciate your offer so I'm willing to wait if it means having a great foundation.

Ok, I had a go in your 993 test balloon.

The FFB is a little weird. Its a lot stronger than the Kunos cars (I had to turn it down to 80% for the car), and especially when the car goes backwards.

Engine has a really hard time getting the car to roll, needs some more torque down low (this is a normal AC bug). 1st is very long, and the rest really short

Main engine sound seems rather disconnected from the cars engine rpm, I couldn't tell what the engine was doing without an instrument. The whole effects around it, turbo whistles, bangs and pops, are great tho. (Just realised this was the outside sound, I ran in bonnet view, not cockpit)

Rest of the characteristics do fit a Porsche I think, if the rear goes, it goes big :)

Ok, I had a go in your 993 test balloon.

The FFB is a little weird. Its a lot stronger than the Kunos cars (I had to turn it down to 80% for the car), and especially when the car goes backwards.

Engine has a really hard time getting the car to roll, needs some more torque down low (this is a normal AC bug). 1st is very long, and the rest really short

Main engine sound seems rather disconnected from the cars engine rpm, I couldn't tell what the engine was doing without an instrument. The whole effects around it, turbo whistles, bangs and pops, are great tho. (Just realised this was the outside sound, I ran in bonnet view, not cockpit)

Rest of the characteristics do fit a Porsche I think, if the rear goes, it goes big :)
Thanks for your input unfortunately I had to sell my wheel and I no longer have a way to accurately test the force feedback (Been using a Xbox360 controller :thumbsdown:). I will see what I can do about the low end torque, could it be the lag from the twin turbos perhaps you feel? Not sure about the sound, do the cockpit sounds need addressing?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back