Physics right or wrong?

Disclaimer:
First of all please don't make that a fanboy discussion. I always try to be objective and leave my personal preferences out of the way. I am always willing to accept, if something I don't like on emotional basis, is better than what I like on emotional basis.

Ok I hope I covered that part and this won't get into a "You are a fanboy of this and that thread".

Prequal:
Like most people I eagerly awaited the release of Assetto Corsa. I read about all the licensed content, loved the screenshots and everything. I didn't drive the tech preview, because I didn't want to get a false impression, because it was all still WIP. The day AC was released on Steam I bought it.
I started really testing it after the first update were the FFB was fixed.

I do really like the game and wanted it to be good and so far my only issue are the physics. Most people praise them and they get a lot of love and I do confess, that in external videos they look great.
The car dives in on the braking, you see all the weight transfer and everything. No other sim offers that!

Example:
But as soon as I drive it, it feels just so wrong to me. Just one example: I tested the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza. I know the track very well and usually drive GT cars, so a perfect combination for me.
Despite all the massive understeer you get everywhere in AC even with setup tweaks, I wanted to point out something you can judge on a much more objective level. So I will talk about the braking distance.

Every racer knows how hard the first braking zone in Monza is. You have a low downforce car and arrive at 260+ kph and have to break down to 60-80kph. So if you look at a lot of GT3 onboards on youtube even with cars, that do have ABS and are a bit restricted due to BOP. They all break before the 200meter board.
That said, I can brake at the 300meter (270kph) board and have the car at a total stand still at 150meters. If I brake for the corner I can brake at or after the 150 meter board.
So we already have a 25% shorter braking zone compared to a real life car with equal or less power and ABS, which I didn't use.

Test conditions:
So now people would start arguing, that I maybe run more downforce and stuff and that is the weirdest thing. I tried to figure out the "worst" braking performance. I used hard tyres and removed all the downforce from the car for this test.

I don't want to get to much into the details of the cornering behaviour and the understeer and that you can just pull on tons of lock and don't get any turn-in oversteer.

Is my opinion qualified?!:
A lot of simracers don't have a lot of reallife experience and I didn't race a GT3 car in my life, but just a quick background:

I drove Race07, rFactor1 and now rFactor2 and I am a pretty good driver in rF2 especially in rear wheel drive touring or GT cars. Even in the new Civic I was racing for wins after 30mins on an unkonw track, so I can quickly adapt to new cars and tracks etc.

In my free time I did some kart races with friends and even on an unkown track with for me unkonw more powerful karts than the average rental karts on a bit cold track I got within 1,9 seconds of the track record within 15min and reduced it to 1,5 seconds in a further 15min.
Keeping in mind that real professional Kart drivers practice their and I had maybe 2 or 3 hours track time in karts ever, I would say I am not a bad driver.

So when I jump out of rF2 into a kart it just feels like home. I apply nearly the same technique and everything. When I jump into AC it all feels wrong. It is so hard to get wheelspin. You can turn the wheel so much, that you would end up in a wall in real life.

I also spoke to some guys with actual racing experience and they got the same feeling.

The end:
I really wanted AC to be a very good sim and I do love everything about it, but these physics keep me from driving it.
In a sim I don't want it to be easy, I want it to be as realistic as possible, but in AC you can apply some really bad driving technique to get quicker laptimes.

What we have here is possibly the best game to come to a pc in years, and all you can do is post crap about each other and troll each other just because you don't like what one guys says. or he had a difference of opinion.
And now to end it all we have all other games before this are so bad we now call them simcade or arcade. The same games you have all played for years and loved and each and every one of you will have magical moments from when you won a race or had a great fight with another driver, you know the one you mention time and time again. It is beyond belief..
So this is how low the sim race community has gone.
thanks for nothings guys.

Good luck guys, get on with it, because i cant be bothered any more with it , im going back to my older games were we are more civilised and all we care about is how good the racing is online in our friendly community.

I tend to agree with Rupe. This sub forum reminds me a lot of another sub forum about a different simulator here at RD, but which was quite a bit worse. It's kind of sad for the moment (hence I gave up my RD driving license out of frustration) but I sincerely hope that the old spirit will return as soon as the racing clubs and seasons return. I still have great memories from these and hope to race here again in the future.

I'm a little surprised some aren't arguing about what RL car is more realistic. At the end of the day, play what you like - no Sim can ever be totally realistic. If you have to have ultra-realism - buy a real car and take it to one of the many Autocross or Track-day events. Anything else is only pretending - arguing about the correct way to pretend more realistically seems pretty futile - doesn't it?

When I come here and click on a physics thread, there is a moment where I think "I'm gonna get my head fried here, after all, it is a physics thread and there must be some large brains kicking about RD"
This does not happen, I'm finding laymen fubling with the English language in a futile attempt to describe a vague feeling they had once in a car/sim or even seen in a video.

What I expect from a physics thread.
An opinion backed up by loads of complicated technical mumbojumbo that confuses the hell out of 95% of the population here.
Everything else will be treated like finding a pair of stained beige nylon y-fronts in your glove box.

When I come here and click on a physics thread, there is a moment where I think "I'm gonna get my head fried here, after all, it is a physics thread and there must be some large brains kicking about RD"
This does not happen, I'm finding laymen fubling with the English language in a futile attempt to describe a vague feeling they had once in a car/sim or even seen in a video.

What I expect from a physics thread.
An opinion backed up by loads of complicated technical mumbojumbo that confuses the hell out of 95% of the population here.
Everything else will be treated like finding a pair of stained beige nylon y-fronts in your glove box.

It's enough to make you just want to quit the whole internet, huh...
Phooey.

What we have here is possibly the best game to come to a pc in years, and all you can do is post crap about each other and troll each other just because you don't like what one guys says. or he had a difference of opinion.
And now to end it all we have all other games before this are so bad we now call them simcade or arcade. The same games you have all played for years and loved and each and every one of you will have magical moments from when you won a race or had a great fight with another driver, you know the one you mention time and time again. It is beyond belief..
So this is how low the sim race community has gone.
thanks for nothings guys.

Good luck guys, get on with it, because i cant be bothered any more with it , im going back to my older games were we are more civilised and all we care about is how good the racing is online in our friendly community.
That's something you can expect when you throw a simulation onto the "mainstream" by releasing it on Steam. When they announced AC got greenlight there, I was grabbing my head and thought about the possible outcomes. The quality of the community would decrease simply just because of the quantity. The actual simracers care less about these flamehouse topics, that's why you only see negativity everywhere. I can still say that as long as this is not a MASSIVELY multiplayer game with a single server, you collect people around you by yourself. That means, you can always avoid the low-ground by having a positive/charming nature. I could always collect a good 5-10 people, or even more around myself in every single online game I started playing, that motivated me to stay in the game for a few years or even move together with them to the next one.

I had almost the same thoughts when all the discussion about Kunos moving to Steam came up. And yes, hopefully RD will keep its reputation of being one of the few places where racing in a friendly but competitive ambience will still be possible in the future.

I've tried to sum up my thoughts on the different sims:

AC seems to drive like I expect a real car to drive, FFB is a little vague though and I feel somewhat disconnected. iR FFB feels connected and communicative but the driving is plagued by quite a few WTF-moments.
rF2 FFB feels great (a little more floaty than iR but very communicative). Open wheelers are floaty, racecars have on/off grip.
All three are great in some way.

What I'm getting at is that I have a hard time deciding what is more important: FFB or physics. I really like the connected feeling in iR but cant full out appreciate the driving, the cars in AC behave like I would expect but I feel a bit more disconnected and so on. The ultimate sim would naturally have the best elements from each title.

I've tried to sum up my thoughts on the different sims:

AC seems to drive like I expect a real car to drive, FFB is a little vague though and I feel somewhat disconnected. iR FFB feels connected and communicative but the driving is plagued by quite a few WTF-moments.
rF2 FFB feels great (a little more floaty than iR but very communicative). Open wheelers are floaty, racecars have on/off grip.
All three are great in some way.

What I'm getting at is that I have a hard time deciding what is more important: FFB or physics. I really like the connected feeling in iR but cant full out appreciate the driving, the cars in AC behave like I would expect but I feel a bit more disconnected and so on. The ultimate sim would naturally have the best elements from each title.
I would sign that to 99%. I am still fiddeling with the wheel settings in AC. My main problem is, that I can't get a good feeling from my wheel. Using more rotation maximum (1080) in AC and only 900° on the wheel allowed me to get a bit faster steering, which improved the feeling for me. I guess it all depends on the wheel as well, but with 900° in AC the steering is just to slow for my taste. Maybe we will get a better adjustment for that in the future.

And that sums it up. None of the current sims accurately model glove boxes. I mean, what's the point in discussing driving physics when the games don't even cover the basics of where to store your pants?

And now I know where they are, can I have mine back now?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.