PC1 pCARS offering refunds?

For those of you that had access or still do, what racing game or sim is pCARS most close to right NOW in its current form? Unless there's something absolutely unique about it like iRacing that no other game or sim offers, it probably at least resembles something on the market. I'm just trying to get an idea of what game or sim that is. This includes consoles.

I haven't given it a through go in a few months by far but it was close to the need for speed shift series. A lot had changed in the four or five months since I tried to give it a fare shake last but the visuals are amazing but driving was not as fleshed out.

I think if I had an ideal racing sim, it would be the graphics and customization of Forza 5, the physiccs and FFB of Assetto Corsa and the online racing and stat tracking of iRacing.

Are any developers listening? TAKE MY MONEY!

Last edited:
I haven't given it a through go in a few months by far but it was close to the need for speed shift series. A lot had changed in the four or five months since I tried to give it a fare shake last but the visuals are amazing but driving was not as fleshed out.

I figured that would be the closest comparison. Regardless of what people believe pCARS is or going to be, when a development team makes a new game, while they may improve things like graphics, vehicle or car count, and add a few new features the core gameplay, design and feel of the game always seems to be similar to their previous products. Gran Turismo series was this way, Forza series was this way, Slightly Mad's games have been this way, Codemasters games have been this way, and SimBin's games have been this way, even Kunos's games feel similar too. My point is that most development teams rarely come up with a new product that is so radically different that people say, is this the same team that made that other game 3 years ago? Wow.

I think if I had an ideal racing sim, it would be the graphics and customization of Forza 5, the physiccs and FFB of Assetto Corsa and the online racing and stat tracking of iRacing.

Is any developer listening? TAKE MY MONEY!
That would be the holly grail. Honestly assetto corsa graphics smoke forza. And the iracing stat tracking will be created by someone as a paid add-on I'm sure in the future.

I figured that would be the closest comparison. Regardless of what people believe pCARS is or going to be, when a development team makes a new game, while they may improve things like graphics, vehicle or car count, and add a few new features the core gameplay, design and feel of the game always seems to be similar to their previous products. Gran Turismo series was this way, Forza series was this way, Slightly Mad's games have been this way, Codemasters games have been this way, and SimBin's games have been this way, even Kunos's games feel similar too. My point is that most development teams rarely come up with a new product that is so radically different that people say, is this the same team that made that other game 3 years ago? Wow.
Very true I would think it would be difficult to create a new way of thinking, when it comes to coding.

I've found Kunos approach to developing assetto corsa the best. They started with the underlying physics first and built from that. Slightly mad seems to have gone the visual route and work back from that.

Last edited:
Saleem, it depends on what you mean by "smoke". There are certain things that Assetto Corsa does better because it can scale higher than Forza could because they had a target of 1080p @ 60fps. The car interiors have more detail in AC, and the paint looks almost real in AC as well, but reflections and lighting, and many other small features, Forza does very well considering its saddled with a weaker PC essentially and a target framerate. AC still has some aliasing issues, and still has some bland texture too. The Autovista mode in Forza 5 is a little ahead of AC also too, but I don't think there's any denying that AC is going after Forza 5 there, no other game I can think of has a showroom mode like Forza or AC at the moment.

I'm hopeful about the online racing and stat tracking, but I would still like to see Forza's level of car customization. Need for Speed has tried so many times at car customization but its always such a poor attempt.

Very true I would think it would be difficult to create a new way of thinking, when it comes to coding.

I've found Kunos approach to developing assetto corsa the best. They stated with the underlying physics first and built from that. Slightly mad seems to go the visual route and work back from that.
I'll say this since I own netKar Pro, Ferrari Virtual Academy, and AC, there's a bigger gap from NetKar Pro to FVA than there is from FVA to AC. FVA feels a LOT like AC's current engine without as many bells and whistles, it definitely feels like the precursor to AC. NetKar feels older and while I can see similar styles, there's still a gap in how the car feels from NKP to AC with the FVA feeling more like AC. NKP feels a lot less forgiving which some may like, at times it can be frustrating though.

Saleem, it depends on what you mean by "smoke". There are certain things that Assetto Corsa does better because it can scale higher than Forza could because they had a target of 1080p @ 60fps. The car interiors have more detail in AC, and the paint looks almost real in AC as well, but reflections and lighting, and many other small features, Forza does very well considering its saddled with a weaker PC essentially and a target framerate. AC still has some aliasing issues, and still has some bland texture too. The Autovista mode in Forza 5 is a little ahead of AC also too, but I don't think there's any denying that AC is going after Forza 5 there, no other game I can think of has a showroom mode like Forza or AC at the moment.

I'm hopeful about the online racing and stat tracking, but I would still like to see Forza's level of car customization. Need for Speed has tried so many times at car customization but its always such a poor attempt.
By smoke I'm talking about the entire package. The car models are relatively low in Polly count compared to AC. The environments are a joke. The art direction is very nice in forza with amazing models. As far as car customization I would give almost anything for that in assetto corsa!

I'll say this since I own netKar Pro, Ferrari Virtual Academy, and AC, there's a bigger gap from NetKar Pro to FVA than there is from FVA to AC. FVA feels a LOT like AC's current engine without as many bells and whistles, it definitely feels like the precursor to AC. NetKar feels older and while I can see similar styles, there's still a gap in how the car feels from NKP to AC with the FVA feeling more like AC. NKP feels a lot less forgiving which some may like, at times it can be frustrating though.
I really wished I would have given it a better go a few years ago. But I could never get my head wrapped around the G27 brake and in netkar it was not giving me good results at all for me.

For those of you that had access or still do, what racing game or sim is pCARS most close to right NOW in its current form? Unless there's something absolutely unique about it like iRacing that no other game or sim offers, it probably at least resembles something on the market. I'm just trying to get an idea of what game or sim that is. This includes consoles.

Rather than have me say anything, since anything I say will be viewed as "fanboism", take a look at the online videos from professional race driver Rene Rast:

https://www.youtube.com/user/RastRene/videos

He's not "on the payroll" so to speak for SMS.

As the game gets closer to what it will look and feel like. I suppose quite a few of the investors are starting to realise that it is very similar to Shift 2 but more refined. I don't mind this now. I know what it is and what it feels like so far and I am quite happy with that. But I don't blame some investors for pulling out now. It is clearly not going to be the race sim of all sims. But it will be good.

Rather than have me say anything, since anything I say will be viewed as "fanboism", take a look at the online videos from professional race driver Rene Rast:

I wouldn't call you a fanboy or to say anything is wrong with being passionate about a product that you deeply enjoy and believe in. I think that negative connotation comes from those who can't deal with a differing opinion. They lack the ability to have a logical and thoughtful discussion about their opinions and others differing opinion. I'll check out the video.

As the game gets closer to what it will look and feel like. I suppose quiye a few of the investors are starting to realise that it is very similar to Shift 2 but more refined. I don't mind this now. I know what it is and what it feels like so far and I am quite happy with that. But I don't blame some investors for pulling out now. It is clearly not going to be the race sim of all sims. But it will be good.
I think they may have overstated what they were envisioning or maybe the economics changed but I was more under the impression we were going to get the spiritual successor to gtr2.

I wouldn't call you a fanboy or to say anything is wrong with being passionate about a product that you deeply enjoy and believe in. I think that negative connotation comes from those who can't deal with a differing opinion. They lack the ability to have a logical and thoughtful discussion about their opinions and others differing opinion. I'll check out the video.

Actually, my comment wasn't directed at you at all, but others on this forum who enjoy seeking confrontation. I just have no desire to "forum battle" with those who have no real life track experience, but seem to know how cars should handle at or around their limits. With that, I don't post much when someone asks how is it now... My opinion will be different than others (community member or not).

Actually, my comment wasn't directed at you at all, but others on this forum who enjoy seeking confrontation. I just have no desire to "forum battle" with those who have no real life track experience, but seem to know how cars should handle at or around their limits. With that, I don't post much when someone asks how is it now... My opinion will be different than others (community member or not).
Once you get to a certain age or level of maturity, you just don't have time or a desire to deal with that stuff. Having intelligent, fun and enlightening conversation on forums is what I strive to have. Lucky the majority of people I've come across on here are of the same mindset.

I'll watch it when I get home Kyle, but let me ask, what game does he compare it to currently? I'm not concerned if he considers it realistic or not, to be honest, iRacing has a who's who list of professional racers swearing its the best thing since sliced bread and many sim racers would argue otherwise. I was just curious what game it most resembles at the moment to give me an idea of what to expect. I've already stated what my ideal game would be.

I really wished I would have given it a better go a few years ago. But I could never get my head wrapped around the G27 brake and in netkar it was not giving me good results at all for me.

The brakes lock up very fast in netKar Pro with my T500 pedals so I don't know if that's the issue you were having but it can be hard to modulate pedal pressure and not lock the brakes.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back