Optimization!?

Ok...

As evident by my thread regarding the sim itself, and its feel, i am loving RRE and the driving feel.

So i decided to spend some cash on DTM and ADAC and some separate cars.

Now i am slightly pissed off instead. The point for me with DTM was so i can do full grid single player racing like i did with the free content.

But this is impossible for me without dropping below the target 60 fps, even in the prerace menu using the new tracks and cars i bought.

I thought this to be very strange as back when i ran the free stuff it ran great.

So i fire up some trusted old monitor apps to see what gives. And lo and behold, starting at hockenheim at the back of the grid, full grid, all settings at max, gives me 51 frames, 55 in pre race menu. This is with frame limiting off.

Now for the fun stuff... GPU usages is never above 65% ever. Highest seen CPU usage on one of the cores is 78%. Still massive stutter and frame rate issues.

Even drops frames on the track overlook animation.

It is all good on some tracks, but some (Hockenheim, Nurbergring) are awful.

As i said, i have monitored everything there is to monitor, usages are pretty low. Gpu, cpu, vram, ram, disk, buffers. Nothing is nowhere near being pressured.

So what gives!? Is it some setting i have missed that is a buggy mess?

Am i the only one having this?

Oh... And taking the limiting off, yields a maximum of 72 fps for me, even with a gpu usage at around 10%.

Tried uninstalling RRE, switched driver sets, etc. Still the same issue...

I paid like 50 euros for content today, i want the experience i payed for. Not this bogus...

Specs:

Intel 3570k I5 @ 4.3 ghz on all cores (throttling and speedstep off)
NVidia GeForce GTX680 factory oc @ 1250 MHz. 4Gb. Vram, latest WHQL driver
16Gb. 1600MHz. RAM
SSD drives
Win7 64 with all current updates

Anyone else having these issues? It has to be some fishy coding or modeling going on gere for sure...

My framerate increased dramrically by turning reflections to low, so it is working ok now for all tracks. But still on the optimization side, GPU usage is exactly the same and never above 70% despite a much higher framerate... This would definitely indicate some render loop congestion as the hw can not be fullt utilized.

Also getting the framerate hits even in the menus or when camera is panning around pre race, is consistent with what i have observed with some settings.

Definitely needs a bit of work under the hood.

Last edited:
I tested this today with a 23 car WTCC grid at Hockenheim. Getting big FPS drops on the grid and only hit 60fps once the pack thins out a bit. Yet, my GPU utilization is around 50-60....it's not even being pushed. Something is heavy on the CPU and bogging the game down.

My system is pretty strong - i5 2500k@4GHz + GTX780 Superclocked.

I run with FXAA, blur and shadow spilt off, 4xMSAA and everything else maxed out for 1080p/60Hz.

Would like some dev comment on this.

Should we have a performance thread? I really think it would be a good database

My specs are: i5 4460 3.4 ghz(default clock) gtx 750 ti with %20 overclock and 8 gb 1600mhz ram

My settings are: everything is on, except shadow split off / specular off / track animations off / in game v-sync on

I also lowered motion blur to fast(quality is still ultra) and the msaa to 4x (the difference between the complex/fast motion blur and 8x msaa / 4x msaa are not worth the performance hit imo)

I get an absolute minimum of 50 fps with full 23 grid on all tracks. Why the v-sync then? Because despite keeping the 50 fps, there is insane micro stutter on moscow raceway. Lowering the track detail doesn't do ****. So i turned on in game v-sync to avoid my eyes bleeding in Russia :) (oh and nvidia's adaptive v-sync made no difference too)

I tested this today with a 23 car WTCC grid at Hockenheim. Getting big FPS drops on the grid and only hit 60fps once the pack thins out a bit. Yet, my GPU utilization is around 50-60....it's not even being pushed. Something is heavy on the CPU and bogging the game down.

My system is pretty strong - i5 2500k@4GHz + GTX780 Superclocked.

I run with FXAA, blur and shadow spilt off, 4xMSAA and everything else maxed out for 1080p/60Hz.

Would like some dev comment on this.

Set refelctions to low, that's what i did to get 60+ fps. Still having insanely low GPU usage however.

Also, there seems to be a cap on VRAM usage, as it never increases above a certain maxpoint, even as you increase AI cars in a race.

Yeah, I'll try the reflections setting next time I'm on. Prior to the recent updates I had to keep the old cubemap setting at 'simple cubemaps' (the lowest setting) as anything higher really hammered the frame rate. Now we just have the reflections setting and I turned that up to 'high' but clearly there are still issues with how resource (CPU?) dependent the reflections and other settings are.

To be honest I was expecting better performance with my hardware (GTX780 + i52500k@4GHz) but certain settings are a killer on fps. At this point rF2 runs better than R3E using similar settings.

Edit - BTW, what is your VRAM usage? I think mine was around 1.5GB.

Set refelctions to low, that's what i did to get 60+ fps. Still having insanely low GPU usage however.

Also, there seems to be a cap on VRAM usage, as it never increases above a certain maxpoint, even as you increase AI cars in a race.
I told you earlier, the game is not optimized perfectly, what do you want from open beta? :roflmao:

Yeah, I'll try the reflections setting next time I'm on. Prior to the recent updates I had to keep the old cubemap setting at 'simple cubemaps' (the lowest setting) as anything higher really hammered the frame rate. Now we just have the reflections setting and I turned that up to 'high' but clearly there are still issues with how resource (CPU?) dependent the reflections and other settings are.

To be honest I was expecting better performance with my hardware (GTX780 + i52500k@4GHz) but certain settings are a killer on fps. At this point rF2 runs better than R3E using similar settings.

Edit - BTW, what is your VRAM usage? I think mine was around 1.5GB.

I find r3e the easiest on fps if you include AC and RF2

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back