F1 2016 Onboard F1 2016 at the Red Bull Ring

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2016 Preview.jpg

In the build up to this weekends Austrian Grand Prix, Codemasters have taken the opportunity to showcase a lap of the Red Bull Ring circuit using the yet to be released F1 2016 game.

With a rather lacklustre F1 2015 entry into the series now firmly behind Codemasters, the team have put much effort into addressing some of the key concerns from fans as they attempt to bring the game back up to the levels of popularity once enjoyed by the franchise. F1 2016 will feature a new, comprehensive, single player career mode curiously missing for the 2015 edition, and welcomes back both the virtual safety car and the Bernd Maylander piloted Mercedes Benz GT S seen so often in recent years.

With Codemasters now in their second year using the new Ego game engine for their Formula One releases, fans should expect a more visually polished product. Crucially the game needs to have far better optimisation than was previously possible with F1 2015 in order to not leave fans dis-chanted with a title suffering from game braking low FPS, an issue that plagued the release of the 2015 version of the game.

The newly returned career mode will be expanded to a fully playable 10 seasons including a raft of car upgrades. Thee can be accessed by performing a number of testing duties for your current team in order to unlock R&D enhancements and new parts for your team. Many new interactive cut scenes and hospitality areas have been added to the single player experience as well, no doubt in an attempt to liven up the often bland feel of the previous coupe of releases.

We are yet to find out if F1 2016 is a noticeable step closer to the more serious racing simulations available in todays marketplace, however the recent preview images and words from the studio suggest it will at least be a step in the right direction from the less than well received recent F1 releases from the studio.

The full on board lap with Daniel Riccardo at Austria's Red Bull Ring can be viewed below:

F1 2016 is due for release on PC, Playstation 4 & Xbox One later this summer.

Check out the RaceDepartment F1 series forum for events, news, discussions and mods for all the Codemasters F1 games.

Looking forward to F1 2016? Do you think it will be a step in the right direction? What do you think of the immersive single player career proposed? Benefit or just gimmick? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Codemasters F1 series has really a weird steering system, remind me of an arcade game for Ps2 or smartphones
You don't have the same feeling as sims or as what you would expect watching the TV

Tracks and cars are fanastic, I mean graphically it's very very good (3d models are 10/10) but the rest is meh

The "driving" phsyics looks the same since F1 2011. There was a huge difference between F1 2010 and 2011 but then it stayed pretty much the same. I mean, there must have been some "improvements" I guess, but basically it's the same thing.

Of course maybe they don't need to change it because people buy it anyway, but it's a huge con for me

Sorry everyone for stepping in...

Looks to me like another Codies cash cow, not falling for it again, if that a show case video well, not very appealing to say the least.
Ill stick with Assetto for now thanks but no thanks

Nope sorry, why bother? This is more for console gaming. It's marketed to the same gamers that buy Madden and all the other sports games every year. Basically the same game engine with newer liveries and drivers according to the current schedule. Maybe a few improvements in graphics and a few tweaks here and there, but still the same stuff.

Any title that has the year in it, is always going to be the repeat of the same thing. Most of which could have been done with just an update.

I don't blame Codemasters though, it's just a way to make money from the same thing year after year.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.