F1 2016 Onboard F1 2016 at the Red Bull Ring

F1 2016 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2016 Preview.jpg

In the build up to this weekends Austrian Grand Prix, Codemasters have taken the opportunity to showcase a lap of the Red Bull Ring circuit using the yet to be released F1 2016 game.

With a rather lacklustre F1 2015 entry into the series now firmly behind Codemasters, the team have put much effort into addressing some of the key concerns from fans as they attempt to bring the game back up to the levels of popularity once enjoyed by the franchise. F1 2016 will feature a new, comprehensive, single player career mode curiously missing for the 2015 edition, and welcomes back both the virtual safety car and the Bernd Maylander piloted Mercedes Benz GT S seen so often in recent years.

With Codemasters now in their second year using the new Ego game engine for their Formula One releases, fans should expect a more visually polished product. Crucially the game needs to have far better optimisation than was previously possible with F1 2015 in order to not leave fans dis-chanted with a title suffering from game braking low FPS, an issue that plagued the release of the 2015 version of the game.

The newly returned career mode will be expanded to a fully playable 10 seasons including a raft of car upgrades. Thee can be accessed by performing a number of testing duties for your current team in order to unlock R&D enhancements and new parts for your team. Many new interactive cut scenes and hospitality areas have been added to the single player experience as well, no doubt in an attempt to liven up the often bland feel of the previous coupe of releases.

We are yet to find out if F1 2016 is a noticeable step closer to the more serious racing simulations available in todays marketplace, however the recent preview images and words from the studio suggest it will at least be a step in the right direction from the less than well received recent F1 releases from the studio.

The full on board lap with Daniel Riccardo at Austria's Red Bull Ring can be viewed below:

F1 2016 is due for release on PC, Playstation 4 & Xbox One later this summer.

Check out the RaceDepartment F1 series forum for events, news, discussions and mods for all the Codemasters F1 games.

Looking forward to F1 2016? Do you think it will be a step in the right direction? What do you think of the immersive single player career proposed? Benefit or just gimmick? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
The driving experience is so soulless, I don't know why they go to the trouble of replicating the circuits.

The cars drive on rails, if you deviate from the rails the experience is ruined. It is a horrible sim, year on year, horrible.

I hope that it will support:
  • TrackIR / OpenTrack for VR possibilities
  • TriDef 3D
  • Out-of-the box support for VR's like Oculus and HTC Vive
  • Legendary controllers and wheels like the Logitech MOMO (still a great steering wheel!)
  • XBOX 360 Wireless Wheel (which is a Fanatec under the hood)

Last edited:
Let me tell you a story, In 1991 F1 was something my Dad watched on tv, When we got F1GP on the Amiga, suddenly we were driving these cars on real tracks. It was difficult, but so rewarding. I played that sim every day to the point where I knew the smallest difference on every single F1 circuit of 1991.

That sim changed everything and made me love F1.

The codemasters sim make me hate F1.

They concentrate on the bloody trophy presenting scene.

NO, concentrate on the physics of driving the damn car!!! They must have unprecedented access to these cars, yet every year the game is shite.

This Game was never meant to be a sim. It is a game for the masses not the niche. They want to make as much profit as possible and they do that by creating a game everyone could play. People of all ages. For people who want a hardcore F1 sim i doubt it will happen due to the strict licensing FOM hold. But yes this game may not be the best representation of an F1 cars handling but thats because they want a wide audience playing the game. A casual gamer who is an F1 fan would pick this game up and enjoy it but if you gave them Assetto Corsa or rF2 which require much more finesse when driving i doubt the casual gamer would enjoy it as much. And as for the graphics. If i enjoy playing the game the graphics don't mean anything to me. If they are good then its an added bonus.

This Game was never meant to be a sim. It is a game for the masses not the niche. They want to make as much profit as possible and they do that by creating a game everyone could play. People of all ages. For people who want a hardcore F1 sim i doubt it will happen due to the strict licensing FOM hold. But yes this game may not be the best representation of an F1 cars handling but thats because they want a wide audience playing the game. A casual gamer who is an F1 fan would pick this game up and enjoy it but if you gave them Assetto Corsa or rF2 which require much more finesse when driving i doubt the casual gamer would enjoy it as much. And as for the graphics. If i enjoy playing the game the graphics don't mean anything to me. If they are good then its an added bonus.

I used an Xbox controller for most of my sim racing, mainly because I've got three children and 20 mins of game time a day. I still find AC and AMS so enjoyable, but F1 2014 and 2015 horrible sims. No real control of the car. That's the bottom line.

Good point, but it's always better to make even more money when adding the sim-functions as an option in the game to expand it. So and/and not if/if... Let the player choice between arcade mode and sim-mode or something...

A "step in the right direction" would be to release some footage of what the drivers actually see -- cockpit. After blocking the apexes with mirrors for years, perhaps it is too much to ask. Wouldn't want to become a SIM or anything.:)

Given their sales numbers they should reconsider where exactly are the "masses"...

I really hope they fixed the look left look right. The look left & right in 2015 was the most soulless, detached & plain lazy attempt I've seen in a driving game in a decade. It snapped you right out of the car like some sort of abstract camera that a programmer just couldn't be arsed to render & engineer properly. Small things like that, can strain immersion into negativity, especially when compiled with other lazily rendered & tossed over the shoulder efforts.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back