Oculus rift

Crispin Williamson

Washed up Supermoto racer in an MDF box in York
So my rift arrived today, it runs nicely but can't get a great image. I've tried changing the pixels density value in the oculus file but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Also when I run on my own I get 90fps but with a full grid it drops to 45. Changing graphics levels doesn't seem to affect it. My pc gets an 11 score on the steam test.
The image is so blurry it's impossible to read the figures on the tyre app.

Any tips?

Hey Crispin,

You're going to fiddle with settings for a while, but if you came from AC on a monitor, it'll take your brain a few days/weeks to get accustomed to VR and the lower resolution. Once you're locked in and know when you have the best settings for you and your system, everything will be alright :)

The yellow dot movement is only restricted by your monitor, make sure that A) You are running AC fullscreen in your monitor B) The resolution in the AC settings match the resolution in your monitor.
You're right in that it should be set to fullscreen, but it doesn't have to match your desktop resolution.
I've had it set to 1080p on a 1440p monitor and vice versa.
Is there any difference in using tray tool to alter PD to the oculus file in assetto documents?
Ease of use. Adjusting a slider or dropdown selection is a lot less hassle than having to edit an ini every time you want to see how it looks.
Seriously, just do it with content manager for AC and/or set up game specific profiles in tray tool.

Other than that, it's not just supersampling that gets you added clarity. See what level of AA you can get away with, as it also makes a big difference.
Want to see brake lights? Try this: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/pp-filter-for-oculus-rift-cv1.13651/
You don't have to rename PP filters to replace your default one anymore btw. You can use any one you like. Also have a play with Good and Bad weathers (use content manager) using the GBW filter that comes with it too. Don't install the reshade, it doesn't work in VR last time I tried it.

I'm pretty happy with how it's running now. I think like someone mentioned you have to forget previous experiences on monitors and accept the lower resolution.
Some of the tracks totally come alive, driving the dallara F3 round spa is incredible. The hills are felt and seen and the accuracy hitting apexes in an open wheel is incredible.

The next generation at a much higher resolution really is going to be incredible.

Some of the tracks totally come alive, driving the dallara F3 round spa is incredible. The hills are felt and seen and the accuracy hitting apexes in an open wheel is incredible.

I had my dad try out my Rift at Brands Hatch... First time going through Paddock Hill Bend he said he finally understands why he'd be pushing straight off the corner, because he could finally see how damn steep it was.

It's incredible how huge of a difference it makes. It's not even just being able to turn your head to see to the sides, it's that absolutely everything is better.

The yellow dot movement is only restricted by your monitor, make sure that A) You are running AC fullscreen in your monitor B) The resolution in the AC settings match the resolution in your monitor.
There is also a patch that you can find in the downloads somewhere which enables shortcut keys for the "start" and "quit" funcions in VR

Thanks a lot Flibberflops, i resolved the issue adjusting resolution. Now i can exit the pit ! :D
But i found another issue... I have a very bad and slow respondance either of mouse and wheel with VR Headset on ... i checked again wheel setup in Control setup and everything seems to be ok, but i noticed an impressive dead zone (90 degrees of rotation before the virtual wheel and the car start to curve).

Where I'm wrong ?

Thank you again !

VR Headsets only perform so well because they completely pass through the GPU. Therefore, there are no settings in the Nvdia Control panel you can change, in fact if you look in the control panel, the VR will not even show as a connected device. Therefore what ever you change in there is only being applied to your monitor.
Not quite true since the Gtx6xxx series Nvidia cards use a boost overclock to ensure this is used to max in VR you must set Performance to Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel settings.

Boost is a general clock speed setting for the card itself, nothing to do with attached display settings. Anything associated to attached displays will not work as you will see there is no attached VR Display detected.
I never meant it had to do with display settings, with my GTX 1080 the clock speed is 1600 but while in boost mode it turns the clock up to 1900 unless you set Max Performance in Nvidia settings for each game this will fluctuate between 1600 and 1900 but if set to Max it will stay at a constant 1900 which will greatly improve the VR experience when there is a full grid.

Thanks a lot Flibberflops, i resolved the issue adjusting resolution. Now i can exit the pit ! :D
But i found another issue... I have a very bad and slow respondance either of mouse and wheel with VR Headset on ... i checked again wheel setup in Control setup and everything seems to be ok, but i noticed an impressive dead zone (90 degrees of rotation before the virtual wheel and the car start to curve).

Where I'm wrong ?

Thank you again !

Hi Doc,

You mentioned iRacing...I experienced similar issues as you described when I forgot to exit irFFB after iRacing. If you are using that, make sure to exit it.

May the force be with you..

Jerry

you wont get 90 fps on big grids, most of the time it will be 45fps, only when the field is significantly spread out across the track will you get 90

the game suffers from cpu bottleneck with lots of cars, it's also related to the amount of polys from my testing

Hi Doc,

You mentioned iRacing...I experienced similar issues as you described when I forgot to exit irFFB after iRacing. If you are using that, make sure to exit it.

May the force be with you..

Jerry
Thx Jerry, I need a lot of force.... :D

By the way.. in Iracing gameplay, wheel works great. I tried to get out of iRacing, reboot PC, starting AC with another wheel setup (Fanatec CSL Elite) and after re-assign of all controls to wheel and pedals, the same issue.... virtual wheel and cae, start to curve after 90 degrees of "real" wheel rotation... No issue in RRE...

really disappointed....

I recomend using the Oculus Tray Tool and disable ASW (if u not get 90fps, it drops to 45fps) and there u can also set the supersampling what is best for your game. I use 1.8 and the picture i get is good.

My CPU is the bottleneck in my system, but with this tool and some settings in AC i am able to reach 60-90 fps with full grids.

With the limited 45fps i got more motion sickness...

Sure the picture is not as good as with a standard monitor, but sooner or later u get used to it and then the VR thing starts to make fun as hell!

Whats also very important for the perfect imersion, set the virtual viewpoint as close to your wheel position as possible. I use a controller to keyboard mapping program to put the CTRL+space to a wheel button wo have the best controll for view reset.

And don´t forget to use Fonseckers sound mods :)

Sorry for being a little off topic but it kind of fits?

I tried a HP Mixed Reality a couple weeks ago because it had 4.1 million pixels compared to the CV1 at 2.6 million. I took it back. First of all, screen door was just as evident along with less field of view with annoying blurry edges.

Two things I liked was, it was very comfortable and the tracking worked very well. Even without tracking sensers, just two camras on the headset.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back