Oculus Rift and Assetto Corsa (specifically)

Got my Rift. Setup was $&(@((@@, but I want to limit this thread to issues that are specific to Assetto Corsa (as opposed to general issues concerning all games).

1) The first thing I noticed is that the low resolution, lack of sharpness and visibility of lines between pixels is not there for very close objects (looking around the seat), it is there for semi-near objects such as the car's dashboard and it is quite bothering when looking at the track and other vehicles outside. To me it looks like there is a DOF (depth of field) simulation going on, with the focus being near field. Is that something I can do something about?

(I did mess around with all DOF settings, even using a postprocessing filter with DOF specifically off)

2) Did somebody find a solution to make the replay controls visible, or at least to control replay from the keyboard?

3) What does
Code:
PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.0
in $HOME/Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg/oculus.ini mean?

I got my rift for Xmas. Setting PPD to 1.5 made a world of difference. You get used to the low res and distortion from the fresnel lenses. The immersion and actually being able to see the apex in a natural way totally trumps any disappointment here, for me.

I had similar experience as others with my current "designer" eyeglasses. Just too big to fit. Uncomfortable to wear and were rubbing against the Oculus lenses. Luckily I still had my old glasses which are more like old-timey "granny glasses" and they fit very well.

FYI: the Rift's lenses are focused at 1.2 meter. This means if you need glasses to see something at a distance of 1.2 meter in real life, you need to wear glasses in the Rift too.
I use reading glasses for things about 500mm away (normal book reading distance) but have never used them in the Rift. In fact, I can get extremely 'virtually' close (like a few mm away) from cockpit switchgear and still see it in perfect focus, whereas in real life it would be a blurry mess. Not sure how this works, but I'm very glad not to have to wear my readers in VR.

PS I'm a big fan of higher settings/45fps/ASW rather than trying to hit 90fps all the time. I also don't know how some of you race without shadows in VR. I find them essential for the illusion.

Last edited:
PS I'm a big fan of higher settings/45fps/ASW rather than trying to hit 90fps all the time. I also don't know how some of you race without shadows in VR. I find them essential for the illusion.

I have been using this app, http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ac-disable-shadows-patcher.17067/ and I am not missing the shadow one bit, stick with it for a few days I am ready to bet you will not either. The most important shadow is the one under the car and with this app it is still there.

I have been using this app, http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ac-disable-shadows-patcher.17067/ and I am not missing the shadow one bit, stick with it for a few days I am ready to bet you will not either. The most important shadow is the one under the car and with this app it is still there.
I love the cockpit shadows and how they move around with my direction though. I assume those are gone? What about tree, fence, bridge, building shadows too?

Is there a video comparison anywhere?

I love the cockpit shadows and how they move around with my direction though. I assume those are gone? What about tree, fence, bridge, building shadows too?

The only shadows you see are under the body of the cars, even the tyres show no shadows, nor trees, bridges etc.
If you're happy with 45fps then stick with it. Personally it gives me a headache and I need 90fps and don't mind losing the shadows for it. After a couple of races I didn't notice it, probably because I stopped looking for them and got more immersed in the racing.

There is better than a video,;), the app is free, takes second to install or uninstall.:D
It might not be for you, but what if it is? The only thing I would do is stay with it for a few days, maybe a week.
I was curious when I tried it as I thought I would be missing the shadow, only to discover that after all I prefer without the shadows.:)

There is better than a video,;), the app is free, takes second to install or uninstall.:D
It might not be for you, but what if it is? The only thing I would do is stay with it for a few days, maybe a week.
I was curious when I tried it as I thought I would be missing the shadow, only to discover that after all I prefer without the shadows.:)
So you don't need to reset anything, just turn it off if you don't like it? I have AC running just how I like it at the moment and don't want to do anything that might bork it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back