Oculus Rift and Assetto Corsa (specifically)

Got my Rift. Setup was $&(@((@@, but I want to limit this thread to issues that are specific to Assetto Corsa (as opposed to general issues concerning all games).

1) The first thing I noticed is that the low resolution, lack of sharpness and visibility of lines between pixels is not there for very close objects (looking around the seat), it is there for semi-near objects such as the car's dashboard and it is quite bothering when looking at the track and other vehicles outside. To me it looks like there is a DOF (depth of field) simulation going on, with the focus being near field. Is that something I can do something about?

(I did mess around with all DOF settings, even using a postprocessing filter with DOF specifically off)

2) Did somebody find a solution to make the replay controls visible, or at least to control replay from the keyboard?

3) What does
Code:
PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.0
in $HOME/Documents/Assetto Corsa/cfg/oculus.ini mean?

Got my Rift. Setup was $&(@((@@, but I want to limit this thread to issues that are specific to Assetto Corsa (as opposed to general issues concerning all games).

1) The first thing I noticed is that the low resolution, lack of sharpness and visibility of lines between pixels is not there for very close objects (looking around the seat), it is there for semi-near objects such as the car's dashboard and it is quite bothering when looking at the track and other vehicles outside. To me it looks like there is a DOF (depth of field) simulation going on, with the focus being near field. Is that something I can do something about?

(I did mess around with all DOF settings, even using a postprocessing filter with DOF specifically off)

2) Did somebody find a solution to make the replay controls visible, or at least to control replay from the keyboard?

3) What does
Code:
PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.0
Increasing PPD to 1.5 (super sampling) will help with your resolution, although I'm not 100% sure if it works in the .ini.
If you use the tray tool it does work, but it puts alot of strain on your GPU though. You can also disable OSW in the tray tool.
No idea about replay controls. I think it only works from cockpit view.

Give it time, may take a couple weeks but eventually your brain will start to adapt to it and things will start to look sharper and clearer. I was somewhat disappointed my first week and considered returning it to the store, now I've adapted to it and I have no complaints and things look pretty good to my eyes. SS/PPD certainly helps to clear things up too if you can afford it, it will never look perfect but I bet you'll soon find that you're quite satisfied with it.

3) What does
Code:
PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.0

Watch this.

Highly recommend you use the Oculus Debug Tray tool that is included and run the overlay so that you can see the FPS and available overhead to dial-in your settings. You really want to get 90FPS at all times (maybe occasionally dip into 45FPS). Keep ASW on auto mode (CTRL +4 on the keypad if memory serves).

Highly recommend you use the Oculus Debug Tray tool

Just to clarify, the debug tool comes with the Oculus software but I believe you have to reset it every time you start a new session or game. The Tray Tool is a third-party app that must be downloaded and installed, it's very similar to the debug tool but you can set it once and as long as it's running in the background it will hold your settings and apply them to most games. It also has a few more options than the debug tool, like having it open at startup so it's ready to go right away.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5okoju/oculus_tray_tool/

Did somebody find a solution to make the replay controls visible, or at least to control replay from the keyboard?
I use the keyboard shortcuts for replays all the time (don't have VR though).
See https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=457373702
Bizarrely those shortcuts don't appear to be mentioned on the official site (e.g. on the FAQ page with other keyboard shortcuts at http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?faq/keyboard-shortcuts.18/)...

@Jack Smith was telling me about this. He bought something specifically for the job. I think he said ordinary glasses don't fit comfortably. I wear 3d glasses and a head set. I use an old pair of reading glasses with the arms removed and strap them to the inside of the 3D glasses. Looks REALLY uncool, but does the job.

Got the tray tool, nice one. Getting more usable settings now and you are correct, your brain adjusts quickly. Will post my complete settings when I have a chance.

Is there any point in using the official Oculus debug tool when you already have both the tray tool and the in-game FPS display? FPS is holding nicely just under 90 (I suppose that means it is working as intended capped at 90?)

About glasses, for me the Rift lenses are very close to my eyes, in fact I constantly fight smudge when getting them on and off. I can't imagine glasses in between.

Would be nice if all those keyboard shortcuts that are keyboard only for now could be reassigned to game controller buttons. Would make them much more usable in VR.

Thanks, folks.

@Stig Bidstrup I only had my oculus rift for a week and I have returned it for a replacement due to a smudge inside the right lens ( waiting for the return ) .... so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I do wear glasses and I have to use the rift with my glasses. You can wear your glasses if the frames are not overly large so they can actually fit inside the headset. Mind did fit. You must be careful not to let the oculus lens touch your glasses lens when putting the headset on and taking it off. The correct method is to place the headset over your glasses first and then slide the head strap over your head. Reverse method for removal. Google the method ...I did... actually watched a video on the method. Got to be careful all the time putting it on and taking it off. There is an issue of the lens becoming scratched over time from use...either the oculus or the glasses or both.
I found that after a little time the glasses start to become somewhat uncomfortable .... pressing into my nose and side of my head a bit but a race or two should not be a big issue.

@Denis Betty mentioned that I had bought something for this problem. He was correct in the fact that I had found a solution but incorrect I had not actually purchased it... as yet.. a bit costly. The solution is that you can see your eye doctor( I don't know how to spell optometrist ) to obtain your eye glasses prescription and a company will make new lens placed into individual inserts that fit over the oculus lens in the headset so you don't need to wear your glasses. The new lens are curved to match the curvature of the oculus lens so they don't touch and leave room inside the headset. I don't have the link but a simple google search will produce the info.... not sure but may be also be found on the oculus rift website. Costs vary as to what you select but from around $100.00 to $160.00 CDN
There is another company ( maybe this one also...can't remember ) that actually makes a frame without the arms that your new lens can fit into and are held into place with a strap that goes around your head.

What I found with my particular situation is to get the clearest view possible for me the oculus rift should actually be a little further away from my head. I could use some kind of little spacer to hold the head unit out a bit further from my head while wearing my glasses. There is a limit to what prescriptions can be used.

All can be googled to answer individual questions and concerns.
Anxiously waiting for the return of my oculus rift.

Last edited:
About keyboard shortcuts, you can try the shareware JoyToKey (search on google, I think that the forum rules forbid external link) and you'll be able to map any key to your game controller.

Thanks for that.

I generally have to go and look into Windows subsystems like kernel drivers emulating game controllers. I have a MIDI device that would be perfect to use as a bunch of buttons in the game (especially in VR, these musician things are meant to be used while looking elsewhere). In addition to wanting to map random hardware to Assetto Corsa controls I also want to start controlling parts of the car from my own programs.

I wear glasses for driving/watching TV...without them it's just like driving in VR.
Also wear glasses for reading.

At my desk my PC monitor is approx 600mm (2') away from my eyes.
I see it OK without glasses.

In VR I use 1.5 / 1.7 Super Sampling depending on game.
Tried both reading and driving glasses under my Rift..no better.

Is this normal guy's ?

Sure used to love my fancy triples buy the immersion factor beats the image quality for me.

I wear glasses for driving/watching TV...without them it's just like driving in VR.
Also wear glasses for reading.

At my desk my PC monitor is approx 600mm (2') away from my eyes.
I see it OK without glasses.

In VR I use 1.5 / 1.7 Super Sampling depending on game.
Tried both reading and driving glasses under my Rift..no better.

Is this normal guy's ?

Sure used to love my fancy triples buy the immersion factor beats the image quality for me.

The optical part of the Rift works like glasses. It realigns the light so that the rays hit your eye in parallel. That is, theoretically, what enables the user to focus their eyes on infinity and still use a display right in front of your eyes. These mechanisms are generally done as a compromise that works for 95% or whereabouts of the user base. I would check out dedicated discussion forums for Rift. I am sure there are lots of hardware hacks out there for people who fall into the 5%. Or your set could be defective. Or smudged. Is it exactly the same for both eyes?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back