Nicky Hayden - 1981 to 2017

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Nicky Hayden - 1981 - 2017.jpg

Former MotoGP Champion and World Superbike rider Nicky Hayden has today passed away from injuries sustained in a road cycling accident in Italy.

Hayden, 35 lost his fight for life after suffering "serious cerebral damage" following a collision with a car on the Rimini coastline in Italy on Wednesday, 17th May.

The American, famous for his against the odds MotoGP championship victory over Valentino Rossi in 2006, remained active at the top level of motorcycle racing right up to his tragic accident early last week. Currently racing for the Red Bull Honda World Superbike Team, Hayden had secured a season best result of seventh place in Thailand as he looked to improve on his fifth position in the overall standings from 2016.

In a statement released by the Hayden family his brother Tommy, also a professional bike racer, had the following to say:

"On behalf of the whole Hayden family and Nicky’s fiancée Jackie I would like to thank everyone for their messages of support – it has been a great comfort to us all knowing that Nicky has touched so many people’s lives in such a positive way.

“Although this is obviously a sad time, we would like everyone to remember Nicky at his happiest – riding a motorcycle. He dreamed as a kid of being a pro rider and not only achieved that but also managed to reach the pinnacle of his chosen sport in becoming World Champion. We are all so proud of that.

“Apart from these ‘public’ memories, we will also have many great and happy memories of Nicky at home in Kentucky, in the heart of the family. We will all miss him terribly.

“It is also important for us to thank all the hospital staff for their incredible support – they have been very kind. With the further support of the authorities in the coming days we hope to have Nicky home soon.”
The motorsport world is in mourning today following the loss of one of the brightest characters in modern motorcycle racing. RaceDepartment wish to extend our sincerest sympathies to the friends and family of the American rider at this difficult time.

Nicky Hayden - 1981 - 2017 2.jpg
Nicky Hayden - 1981 - 2017 3.jpg
Nicky Hayden - 1981 - 2017 4.jpg

ThatRacingGuy

I drove 88 MPH last night... weird stuff happened
Well... i don't know what to say to be honest.

Met him in Assen last year. Great guy. Such a loss for the sport.

Nicky was up there with Casey, Valentino, Diagomo and so on.

Rest In Piece Mr Hayden. ;(

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
I enjoyed watching him move up the ranks in AMA Superbike and so proud to see him make it and be successful in MotoGP. So sad, nice kid. I know bicyclists have a right to ride on the road but please folks use the bike paths if there available, rather have you be safe than right.

Lorenzo Bonder

Wah wah.
Just like DucMan said,

been somewhat following with care Nicky since he was in AMA Superbikes and gone straight into Repsol Honda in MotoGP winning the title later on.

Funny story. I like a lot Valentino, but he's my third favorite rider, just behind Alex Barros and believe it or not, Nicky Hayden himself.

Just like a fellow Brazilian league commentator told me: "Gone in the most ironic way, goes 300 kph every weekend and dies in a bike ride accident, where you don't go as fast he goes in the motorbike"

R.I.P mr. Hayden.

Reminds me of Bob Wollek, who got killed in a bicycle accident aswell. Living on the edge for over 30 years at a time when Motorsport was alot more dangerous than it is now and then getting killed on a average day ride. And motor cycle racing isn't the safest sport either. Race In Piece

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.0%
  • €3001-5000