1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

New Thrustmaster Wheel is Direct Drive

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Blkout, May 29, 2016.

1. Zero7159

Zero7159
    Premium Member

Shocking, never expected this.

2. DayGlow

DayGlow
    Hired Goon Premium Member

Bet it's right around $999usd

3. Azure Flare

Azure Flare
    World's fastest mobile chicane Premium Member

If Thrustmaster can manage to sell a DD wheel for under $1000, I might consider buying it. The problem is that they will likely just package the T3PA Pro pedals, (which are just the T500 RS's pedals with a different sticker on it) which I find to not be all that great without modding.

4. Yapci

Yapci
    Premium Member

Maybe they manage to get huge amount of "not the best motor" out there and that makes the price be reduced a lot. I don't need 27nm torque for sure if I can get a DD wheel for less than 1K €

5. Dan Costa

Dan Costa
    Fear the Crazy Dan Premium Member

I really thought the bit on the back was a shaker. It sure looks like one!

6. What would be cool is if they sold the base unit seperatly but that it was also compatible with T500 wheels and pedals. It could be an affordable way to get into DD.

Wishful thinking I suppose.

7. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels
    Premium Member

Did not see that coming, steeringhweel it self looks a bit bulky, but might be needed to withstand the forces.

8. 2pfspiff

2pfspiff
    2015 pCars World Endurance Challenge AM Champion Premium Member

From my understanding it will be compatible with the with all the pedals and wheels that are compatible with the T300 and TX bases.

9. Boby Kim

Boby Kim
    There is no spoon... Premium Member

Mmm...i'll keep an eye on this one:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Richlevy

Richlevy
    Premium Member

Good news to hear, if they can pull it off, fanatec will not be far behind. This will bring commercially produced units to the low/mid range market. Good news for the masses

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

The wheelbase sounds quite interesting, but the wheel rim itself looks hideously bling

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. This is great news for us simracers. Surely other companys like Fanatec wil follow and with a couple more years DD might become the new standard and more affordable for the mass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. hgaouar

hgaouar
    Premium Member

Can someone explain to me what direct drive is and why it is better than my t500rs

Many Thx

14. hgaouar

hgaouar
    Premium Member

ok many thx but does simracer actually feel the difference ?

15. Marcel Kleene

Marcel Kleene
    Premium Member

Yes, you can feel a huge difference...not only in your pocket :)

16. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium Member

What do you think the likelihood is that the base will be offered on it's own? Much prefer the look of the Thrustmaster Leather 28 GT rim. looks much more like a "proper" racing wheel...

17. The actual motor itself is not the expensive part. Putting it together and making it a presentable package along with the software is where the costs rise. I remember reading that one of the motors on a basic DD wheel costs them something like 80-100 dollars.

18. rocafella1978

rocafella1978
    Premium Member

if you are talking a out servo motors, depends in brand...and etc...AKM Kollmorgen if i remember right start at around $550, and even if you go DIY kit with cheaper servos, u are surely looking at $1000 USD approx.

so if TM is entering the DD market, they will want to be competitive, $800-$1200 is my guess. but first thing I would do is check what DD motor is in there. and of course, also in some extend, has to do with the looks of "end user" / "consumer" product, which imho most DD wheel do not look like consumer products, so might be TM who got it right for the mass market.

...shall see what happens.