New iRacing Damage Model - Behind the Scenes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have been busy developing a much improved new damage model as they today share a very interesting behind the scenes video of the current progress...

Rather than resting on their laurels as many would expect for a simulation that's been out for several years now, iRacing continue to develop and improve the title as they look to add further upgrades and refinements as they keep the experience fresh for the many thousands of subscribers to the online racing simulation.

With time of day and offline single player AI both confirmed as in development already, the online simulation have taken to YouTube to show off some of the other stuff that's been happening back at base, namely a significant overhaul to their current damage model that promises to bring a much more detailed and unforgiving outcome to any contact experienced by the player.. with the early preview images from the new model looking very impressive indeed..

iRacing Crash Physics.jpg

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Do you like the look of the new damage model? Do you think this will improve the racing experience in iRacing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

Hopefully they develop this well and keep pushing their tech, and may competitors also look into their development to implement or update features.

What does rF2, AC/C or any sim have to do with a new damage model in iRacing? I don't get it why there is so much discussion and trashing going on when it is just obvious that different sim devs choose different priorities when working on their titles. I mean, I have no interest to get involved in iRacing due to their business model, but I certainly respect their effort to implement new and improved features and drive the sim racing genre forward. They have some features and polished content that I would gladly see in my sims of choice.

And here we go again.
If you have something to contribute to the thread topic for or against then it belongs here.
If you merely wish to slag off another game or join the mines is bigger than yours club then it doesn't.
giphy (3).gif

Looks really good nice work.

I think people can forget one of the most basic issues with damage modelling in any sim that features real marques.

I almost all cases, they do not want to see their "image" damaged on screen. It all started with the Gran Turismo series. We all moaned at the time that the game didn't show damage but that was how they partially got so many cars into the game (and the creators admitted it to), Ferrari for example was the most stubborn example of this. Was it the 2nd or 3rd version of the game before they appeared?

Wreckfest, BeamNG get round it by using made up cars (but obviously they look like their road going cousins).

So on the one side I applaud iRacing for getting this into the game but also for convincing the manufacturers to allow it :)

Wait a yr or so to have a new feature added to a title at no additional charge or wait yrs for the next addition and pay $50+ for a new game just to have a new feature.....than wait a few yrs for the game mature as they sort out all the bugs.
That's a positive in my books...do you get me now? :)
i could have waited and get better physics / ffb / etc and less important but nice graphics . So i would more nice games every year for the next 20 years for the almost 1000$ i paid for iracing and F not even cant use it because i dont want to pay 130$ per years instead off 70$ before to use my own bought cars / suddenly 2 years a go the started calling it not bought but licensed / damm they still advertise with BUY this car or Buy this track and yes when i subscribed last time about 3 years ago they already talked and showed and blogged about a lot off things that still aint there. LOL iracing better call themselfs "we race your money out your pocket into ours and you are left in dispare of waiting for a lot new ,maybe, to come soon things.

i could have waited and get better physics / ffb / etc and less important but nice graphics . So i would more nice games every year for the next 20 years for the almost 1000$ i paid for iracing and F not even cant use it because i dont want to pay 130$ per years instead off 70$ before to use my own bought cars / suddenly 2 years a go the started calling it not bought but licensed / damm they still advertise with BUY this car or Buy this track and yes when i subscribed last time about 3 years ago they already talked and showed and blogged about a lot off things that still aint there. LOL iracing better call themselfs "we race your money out your pocket into ours and you are left in dispare of waiting for a lot new ,maybe, to come soon things.
So you disagreed with my opinion of ME prefering new features added to an old title rather than waiting for a new game to come out with a feature?
Or was it just to complain about the cost of the title and that you can't use your content if you don't pay the subscription ?

I can pretty much guarentee you that a $1000 over the next 20yrs will not buy you all the new sims with current prices increasing you might get 5 or 6 titles including dlc.

Ex. I bought rf2 with the lifetime online for $100 canadian since 397 took over there is nearly $150 in dlc, AC's dlc is just shy of $100 in dlc, pc2 was $80 new plus $30 for the season pass etc. Same with other titles.

I am not defending iracing or the cost as I play every title, i just prefer titles continuing to add new features than buying a new title :)

Plain and simple advice for iracing as it's exspensive....if money is an issue don't play it stick to titles like ac, rf2 or ams that have no addiditional subscriptions and lots of free mods to enhance the experience.

I saw this Damage Update a while ago and I applaud iRacing for improving what for me is an essential area lacking in most Sims to date, as much as Devs don't like cars breaking fact is in motorsports crashes happen. Whilst I know some Licensees don't like their cars getting damaged in game (fair point) I think for more generic racing this area needs to be developed further for other Sims, not just mechanical damage but all sorts of visual as well. Whilst Carbon Fibre shattering may be difficult of course there are plenty of other visual areas that can be improved, simply crumple zones, wing mirrors dropping of through wall contact...the list goes on.

In the meantime I'll renew my iRacing Sub when the AI hit as I'm very keen to see what they have come up with.

https://www.iracing.com/road-new-damage/

Maybe, from now on, people will no longer believe in the myth that manufactures don't want to see their cars falling apart.

Just an excuse for bad or non existent damage model... like crashing at 200mph and have a damaged gear box :D

I can pretty much guarentee you that a $1000 over the next 20yrs will not buy you all the new sims with current prices increasing you might get 5 or 6 titles including dlc.

Ex. I bought rf2 with the lifetime online for $100 canadian since 397 took over there is nearly $150 in dlc, AC's dlc is just shy of $100 in dlc, pc2 was $80 new plus $30 for the season pass etc. Same with other titles.

I am not defending iracing or the cost as I play every title, i just prefer titles continuing to add new features than buying a new title :)

Plain and simple advice for iracing as it's exspensive....if money is an issue don't play it stick to titles like ac, rf2 or ams that have no addiditional subscriptions and lots of free mods to enhance the experience.

Last time I checked, I spent US$880 in iRacing, that's for three short years, so $1000 in 20 years is impossible. You gotta race day in day out if you even consider getting the discounts they offer for participation. Almost like a job really. It's addiction, I know...I've been there. I was blind and so everybody is while they are. I was a fan and I defended them. SMH

I can't complain, honestly, I enjoyed every single race I did, weird to say it but it's true. So no it's not the price. It's just the repetition of contents, very few of them, the hyping of worthless improvements, and the "new :poop: contents" they try to shove at your throat... Of all the tracks they can scan... Snetterton? Pffft... Sounds more like snoring. :sleep:

Now I'm out, I saw how stupid it is to subscribe there currently, pretty weak contents really. Every time #comingsoon appears in the forums, it's like zombies swarming on staff asking questions, when when, why why, no no no, yes yes yes. Multiple pages of TLDR. Why? Why are they so excited? Because there is very few contents to enjoy, and they know it but won't admit it. They want new stuff because they are tired of the same old stuff in rotation. I'm sure iRacers know what I am talking about.

It's not personal @Kurupt CDN... I just quoted your post for the wrong price you estimated. But yet again, it's not the price. It's the weak contents they currently have. I have no issues with FFB or graphics in there. Still no dagger... I still plan to go back, I have friends asking me to go back. Maybe the day they added 20 more known or popular road courses, I will return. And that's why I am here in this thread watching what's new. :O_o: Pfffft...:whistling: Until then. Cheers!

The price I quoted was in regards to someone elses comment saying they could buy every sim for the next 20yrs with the $1000 they spent in iracing, i was merely giving an example that most the titles out with dlc will run you between $100-200 CAD ;)

As for waiting for new content or features in iracing it's no different than any other title. Not one game imo opinion is more superior than the next as they all have there strengths and weakness.

AC...when will weather or day/night transition come? = next title
R3E....when will we get tire pressure and XXX car previewed last yr? #soon but most likely in the next title
AMS...when is vr coming = next title
PC2...when will the bugs be fixed and proper race features added? = #soon
Etc

The biggests issue I have with the above titles is the lack of online population and finding servers with content I enjoy after 8pm mt.
Iracing fills that void as I can usually find an official sever to race and I treat it like a real racing career.
I practice 2 - 3 times a week for about 30 min each, learn the track and build a tune than I use the info on the form to see when the populated race times are and do one race a week...2 if I have the time and am lucky if I do 10 races in a season in 2 classes....but I still get my $10 x4 seasons participation credits.
Or buy $75 and get a $100 iracing credit
Than I use them towards my yearly subscription when they have there sale and it costs me around $20 to renew.

Iracing checks alot of boxes that I look for in a game
MP hourly races
Multiple racing styles..rallyX, road and oval
Career tracking
Good ffb and physics
Loose surface physics
Good audio
Season point tracking

So when I see promos like the new damage model, new tire model, day to night in the works it all gives me confidence that there continually working on improving the product which in return helps me justify the cost.

Last edited:
You gotta race day in day out if you even consider getting the discounts they offer for participation.

???

you need to do more than 50% of eight races in three series in 12 weeks to get maximum participation bonus, if you are already a b-licence player or better, two series will do the trick.

so, that makes it 24 or 16 events in 12 weeks.
An event lasts 30-50 minutes, some a bit longer. let's say 40 minutes on avarage. 24x40 mins equals 960 mins equals 16 hours. stretched over 12 weeks, you end up playing less than 1.5 hours a week to get the maximum participation benefit.
(actually, at b-level and always leaving right after having passed the 50% mark, 16 x 22 mins equaling about 6 hours in 12 weeks, so half an hour a week will do the trick, but it does not sound like fun :) )

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea