New Flag Rules Preview For RaceRoom Racing Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Racing Experience Flag Rules.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed flag rules will be added to RaceRoom Racing Experience as early as next week, bringing to the sim a feature regularly requested by sim fans.

For the initial launch as part of the upcoming patch, RaceRoom will receive seven different flag types that can be displayed to players whilst driving out on track. Players will have the following indicators shown during an appropriate on track situation:

Green Flag
Indicates the start of a session and safe racing conditions.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Green Flag.jpg

Yellow Flag
Is shown to the drivers to warn them about incidents ahead. You should reduce your speed and refrain from overtaking unless stated otherwise. If you illegally passed cars under yellow you will be asked to give those positions back. Failing to do so within 15 seconds will result in a penalty.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Yellow Flag.jpg

Blue Flag
Indicates a faster car approaching from behind, and is typically shown on your out lap or when being lapped. Let the driver pass safely to avoid a penalty.
You have 10 sec to do so, before receiving a first warning, and another 10 sec before receiving a Drive Through Penalty.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Blue Flag.jpg

White/Black Flag
This flag is a warning handed to the driver for going off track / driving the wrong way / etc.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Black and White Flag.jpg

White Flag
The white flag warns you about a slow car on track. This could be a damaged car trying to make its way back into the pits, a driver rejoining the track after losing control, or a car from a slower class.
RaceRoom Racing Experience White Flag.jpg

Black Flag
The one flag no driver wants to see. If you are receiving a black flag you have been disqualified.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Black Flag.jpg

Chequered Flag
The chequered flag is being shown when the winner crossed the finish line and the race is ending
RaceRoom Racing Experience Chequred Flag.jpg

The implementation of visible flags and flag rules is a major step forward for the game, which despite offering a wide and varied selection of cars, tracks and rulesets has so far been unable to properly simulate flag decisions within the software. Due to the simulation having undergone considerable transformation in the past couple of years, and with a stronger focus on simulation racing either against the AI or in multiplayer situations, Sector3 have been hard at work building on the core base of the game to incorporate a number of feature and content enhancements over recent months. The new inclusion of flags in proof of this continual work, and will soon be joined by adjustable type pressures, another often requested feature currently missing from the title.

In respect of the single player portion of the title, Sector3 Studios @Georg Ortner confirmed that blue flags will apply to AI cars in a lapping situation, with the faster machine will be waved through to take the place of the lapped competitor. Ortner went on to say:

"AI will yield when they get a blue flag for example. And they will get the same penalty for overtaking under yellow as the player does."
It is interesting to note that the AI player will also be subject to the same penalty rules with regards to overtaking under yellow flag situations as a real world driver would be, which is a pleasing nod to authenticity from the developers.

Explaining in more detail about how the blue flag rules will work in game, and how Sector3 have coded this functionality @J-F Chardon explains:

"Blue flag shows if you have a car of a faster class in your back.
Also shows if you have a guy lapping you.

It triggers based on distance / time delta. And if the car behind gets beyond that limit, the timer resets."
It is expected that RaceRoom Racing Experience will receive an update, to include the new flag rules, some time during the coming week. Stay tuned for more details when they become available!

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a PC exclusive racing simulation with several pieces of content available to play at no cost. Additional content can be purchased from the RaceRoom Store.

The RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum is the best place to enjoy the simulation online. We have an awesome club racing scene, open to all skills and experiences. Check out the club today, and swing by our sub forum here at RaceDepartment to discuss the game with you fellow fans and catch all the latest news.

Looking forward to seeing flag rules in RaceRoom? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

DND

Stay Safe, Healthy and be Kind - Stop Hate
This is encouraging to hear they have applied this to AI as this should help the single player experience. R3E is becoming my go to sim/game, looking forward to the upcoming GT3 cars and SimBin's GTR3.

I think it's great there adding the flags, I just have one question which concerns me, it's the Blue Flag. When is it shown? when the lead car is on your bumper or when he is a half a lap behind you., so you have to park your car and wait for him to go bye or get a drive through penalty, and quit for your race is over.

Good news as this is currently my fav simracing title.
Isn't it funny this sim as been out longer than Assetto Corsa, while AC gets stick for not having flag rules, and yet Kunos added flag rules to ac, and R3E is only just getting flag rules added.

Brandon Wright

I may not be fast, but I'm wide!
Sounds promising! :thumbsup:

oh, this game still exists, thought it died slow and quietly.... :roflmao:

flags sound nice, especially for AI aswell, but won't bring me back playing r3e. i simply don't have time for medicore-racing-games :p:D

When was the last time you played it? It's changed so much in the last year or so that it barely resembles the game it used to be. New physics, new AI, new UI, new cars, new tracks, and it looks like most of the features that were missing from it have now been added, new purchasing options (you can buy all current content for one reasonable price) and they're working on a player ranking system for online similar to iRacing. Probably won't change your mind but I think the future for R3E looks better and better all the time. :)

A very much needed feature for a racing sim so happy to see it coming to Raceroom, AI obeying sounds good in theory so hopefully it's good in practice.

Needs a dynamic track though, once the next RF2 build with VR comes out I doubt I'll play this sim much more, static tracks are a thing of the past for me.

Sounds promising! :thumbsup:

When was the last time you played it? It's changed so much in the last year or so that it barely resembles the game it used to be. New physics, new AI, new UI, new cars, new tracks, and it looks like most of the features that were missing from it have now been added, new purchasing options (you can buy all current content for one reasonable price) and they're working on a player ranking system for online similar to iRacing. Probably won't change your mind but I think the future for R3E looks better and better all the time. :)

...a few months ago. whatever they changed, nothing was interesting for me....absouletly nothing, not even the 'ai-mistakes under pressure' (does a professional driver really make rookie-mistakes and fly off the track under pressure? :rolleyes:). wasted $ for me (for now, maybe l8er with U4 Engine)....but hey, wouldn't be the first game :laugh:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000