New Flag Rules Preview For RaceRoom Racing Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Racing Experience Flag Rules.jpg

Sector3 Studios have confirmed flag rules will be added to RaceRoom Racing Experience as early as next week, bringing to the sim a feature regularly requested by sim fans.

For the initial launch as part of the upcoming patch, RaceRoom will receive seven different flag types that can be displayed to players whilst driving out on track. Players will have the following indicators shown during an appropriate on track situation:

Green Flag
Indicates the start of a session and safe racing conditions.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Green Flag.jpg

Yellow Flag
Is shown to the drivers to warn them about incidents ahead. You should reduce your speed and refrain from overtaking unless stated otherwise. If you illegally passed cars under yellow you will be asked to give those positions back. Failing to do so within 15 seconds will result in a penalty.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Yellow Flag.jpg

Blue Flag
Indicates a faster car approaching from behind, and is typically shown on your out lap or when being lapped. Let the driver pass safely to avoid a penalty.
You have 10 sec to do so, before receiving a first warning, and another 10 sec before receiving a Drive Through Penalty.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Blue Flag.jpg

White/Black Flag
This flag is a warning handed to the driver for going off track / driving the wrong way / etc.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Black and White Flag.jpg

White Flag
The white flag warns you about a slow car on track. This could be a damaged car trying to make its way back into the pits, a driver rejoining the track after losing control, or a car from a slower class.
RaceRoom Racing Experience White Flag.jpg

Black Flag
The one flag no driver wants to see. If you are receiving a black flag you have been disqualified.
RaceRoom Racing Experience Black Flag.jpg

Chequered Flag
The chequered flag is being shown when the winner crossed the finish line and the race is ending
RaceRoom Racing Experience Chequred Flag.jpg

The implementation of visible flags and flag rules is a major step forward for the game, which despite offering a wide and varied selection of cars, tracks and rulesets has so far been unable to properly simulate flag decisions within the software. Due to the simulation having undergone considerable transformation in the past couple of years, and with a stronger focus on simulation racing either against the AI or in multiplayer situations, Sector3 have been hard at work building on the core base of the game to incorporate a number of feature and content enhancements over recent months. The new inclusion of flags in proof of this continual work, and will soon be joined by adjustable type pressures, another often requested feature currently missing from the title.

In respect of the single player portion of the title, Sector3 Studios @Georg Ortner confirmed that blue flags will apply to AI cars in a lapping situation, with the faster machine will be waved through to take the place of the lapped competitor. Ortner went on to say:

"AI will yield when they get a blue flag for example. And they will get the same penalty for overtaking under yellow as the player does."
It is interesting to note that the AI player will also be subject to the same penalty rules with regards to overtaking under yellow flag situations as a real world driver would be, which is a pleasing nod to authenticity from the developers.

Explaining in more detail about how the blue flag rules will work in game, and how Sector3 have coded this functionality @J-F Chardon explains:

"Blue flag shows if you have a car of a faster class in your back.
Also shows if you have a guy lapping you.

It triggers based on distance / time delta. And if the car behind gets beyond that limit, the timer resets."
It is expected that RaceRoom Racing Experience will receive an update, to include the new flag rules, some time during the coming week. Stay tuned for more details when they become available!

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a PC exclusive racing simulation with several pieces of content available to play at no cost. Additional content can be purchased from the RaceRoom Store.

The RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum is the best place to enjoy the simulation online. We have an awesome club racing scene, open to all skills and experiences. Check out the club today, and swing by our sub forum here at RaceDepartment to discuss the game with you fellow fans and catch all the latest news.

Looking forward to seeing flag rules in RaceRoom? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I seriously think this is the game that i enjoy most, but the lack of triple screen and poor VR implementation make it pretty much unusable. I really hoped they would be spending time on the things that matter and not flag rules.

Blue Flag
Indicates a faster car approaching from behind, and is typically shown on your out lap or when being lapped. Let the driver pass safely to avoid a penalty.
You have 10 sec to do so, before receiving a first warning, and another 10 sec before receiving a Drive Through Penalty.

Looking forward to seeing flag rules in RaceRoom? Let us know in the comments section below!

I'll get my coat...

...well, i wasn't really talking about the drivers of your go-kart league you participate.

driving 1 lap behind an AI and it drops out of the track (omg, someone is on my back, pitcrew plz help me, what should i do? ) ....ah, yeah, right, very real racing like. :rolleyes:
Yes I did race karts when I was younger, So did Ayton Senna, Michael Schumacher, and many, many others.
so please grow up kiddie!

ha, i didn't knew he was this cool hehe.
If 'this cool' translates into 'F****** liability' in most languages including English then yes, totally agree...

And totally agree about karting too. It's where almost all single seater racers, (most racing drivers full stop), begin their racing careers. Drivers like Alonso and Massa also do a lot of it in the off season to keep their race craft sharp.
I believe you may need to be a little better informed...

This is a nice addition to the sim, getting better all the time :thumbsup:

As mentioned above, and only because I love the active marshals this title has. It would be cool to see moving marshals at the side of the track waving the flags. I did smile though when I first experienced the AI cars flashing their headlights at me in a practise session to get passed. Nice touch.

I'm happy with this though, it does the job and as mentioned above a lot of sims still don't have this properly implemented, the white flag is a great addition on tracks where visibility can be a problem (Macau I'm looking at you...:confused:)

If you don't like it, then fair enough but whinging about it is a waste of time. No, it's not perfect (no racing title is) but the rest of us are enjoying what is a great piece of work :thumbsup:

Last edited:
This is a nice addition to the sim, getting better all the time :thumbsup:

As mentioned above, and only because I love the active marshals this title has. It would be cool to see moving marshals at the side of the track waving the flags. I did smile though when I first experienced the AI cars flashing their headlights at me in a practise session to get passed. Nice touch.

I'm happy with this though, it does the job and as mentioned above a lot of sims still don't have this properly implemented, the white flag is a great addition on tracks where visibility can be a problem (Macau I'm looking at you...:confused:)

If you don't like it, then fair enough but whinging about it is a waste of time. No, it's not perfect (no racing title is) but the rest of us are enjoying what is a great piece of work :thumbsup:
Very well said Andrew, see you at the track

I seriously think this is the game that i enjoy most, but the lack of triple screen and poor VR implementation make it pretty much unusable. I really hoped they would be spending time on the things that matter and not flag rules.

Why poor VR implementation? Can you explain more please.
I've personally found it to be very good especially considering it's only in it's second release of use, performance is very good and the Menus work just fine.

I just tried this for the first time today, it felt quite nice and I think I'll give it a chance in the next weeks. The AI has a tendency to just drive into you as if you weren't there though.

It;s interesting how many people are so up in arms about triple screen support. I use triple screens and seem to use it just fine. I admit that I use a single large screen via PhysX but it seems to work fine. Guess I need to be more informed about just what it is that is missing. I also think the VR implementation is much better than in other sims, mostly because you can see and use the menus just fine, which is not true on all of the sims. (Yes, I use both VR and Triples depending on the day, my mood and what I'm doing). Pit stops are a bit harder with VR just because you can't see the buttons as well. VR is in pretty early stages so I'm sure it will improve and several sims don't have it at all yet but that doesn't make them bad! Flags are a good addition and we should celebrate that.

Funny how "everybody" was whinging about R3E not having flags. They add flags, and "everybody" whinges about triple-screen and VR. Once they "fix" those, people will just whinge about something else. It's also funny how people say they should stop wasting their time on "pointless" things and concentrate on whatever they personally have a problem with in the sim. :rolleyes:

Here's to the people like myself that are actually happy about getting new content and features, and are willing to let the developers get on with developing their game the way they want, instead of demanding that they instantly shift focus to resolving personal gripes. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 454 39.3%