New Add-on: Codename "Toad"

A mamba is a type of snake.

It seems that Simbin's project names are all based around reptiles - Lizard, Toad, Frog, Mamba, so I don't know if I am reading too much into the Frog and Toad thing - but it seems weird that they chose names of animals which are quite similar - rather then something like tortoise or turtle or crocodile etc, although "Project Tortoise" probably doesn't create the best image does it really?:bananamario:
Frogs and Toads are amphibians.

Just one last - and i mean last - shot :whistle:

Japanese GT Championship :dance:
Only 2 classes: 350 HP and 500 HP, many interesting cars on
an endurance races and many European pilotes. :peace:

Just a shot :yo:

• Mikkow

The MikkOwl SimBin Next-Expansion Analysis:

SimBin wrote:
“We have secured licenses for a couple of highly requested series and we think our next scheduled title will come as a big happy surprise to all racers around the world.”

“The release which is scheduled for release 2009, should lock into the new GTR Evolution base the same way as STCC does, meaning rules, cars, tracks and features specific to this new series will instantly become available in GTR Evo and STCC if you also own those.”
Assuming we can take it at 100% face value, we can assume the following information:

-The licenses are highly requested, meaning probably quite popular known among race fans.
-The licenses appeal to people internationally, supporting that they are international series rather than a national one.
-There are at least two such licenses.
-There will be new cars.
-There will be new tracks (relevant to some options below as you will see)
-There will be new rules.

A question for us to ponder is if these two licenses are related to each other, such as support series etc.

Formula 1
- Licensing issues
License held by Codemasters. Otherwise, a few tracks are missing and many cars to be made, but an enormous market to sell it to.

GP2 - Highly Likely
An international and well known feeder series for Formula 1. Much requested and with only 4 tracks, most of them in Europe, and one car to be made, and races and rules that suit the Gmotor engine perfectly. A strong contender.

A1GP - Highly Likely
The new expansion was announced around the first race of the A1GP season which was Zandvoort, which is already modeled. A1GP is in financial difficulties and probably wants to advertise the series badly to anyone who will listen, just like the STCC did by commissioning the SimBin expansion. 7 to 8 new tracks need to be created, but only one car. The game engine supports this format of racing very well, too, with perhaps some reservations to the complicated qualifying system. But the tracks are scattered in remote places all over the world. It's an international series that appeals to people in many countries, and it's also highly requested.

IndyCar Series - Too expensive
License open. Just one car to create (?) but with 18 tracks far away from the developers' base that need to be visited and created, it looks grim. The game engine support for oval racing (the AI specifically) also raises issues. Otherwise reasonably highly requested by the community indeed, and has serious potential on the american market. Certainly the most likely american pick.

SuperLeague Formula - Too impopular
License available. Just one car to model and two tracks which are both in Europe. Engine supports it well. Only question here is: is it highly requested by the community?

International Formula Masters - Too impopular
License available. Again just one car to model, and every single track used has already been modeled. But community requests for this series has been nearly non-existent (if not completely so), and the nature of the car - 250hp open wheel, is similar to the Formula BMW we already got in Race 07. Yet SimBin did speak of multiple licenses, and this would do well as the 'second' lesser licensed series.

Formula Three Euroseries - Impopular
License available (?). Similar work needed as GP2. But the car is similar to the Formula BMW we already have and community request for it has been mild. GP2 looks much more attractive for the same amount of work.

DTM - Licensing issues
License probably held by Codemasters. Otherwise, only two cars to create, some tracks already created, very very close physical proximity to the ones that haven't been made, SimBin popular in Germany, game engine supports it superbly, highly requested.

Japanese GT Championship - Impopular & Too expensive
Far, far away with a huge amount of cars and tracks that need to be done. In other words, a super expensive production. Not very highly requested either.

Dutch GT series - Too impopular
License open, there's a track already made and it's geographically close, yet it's not highly requested in the slightest.

ALMS - Race 07 technical limitations & too expensive
There's 11 tracks that need to be made which are far away geographically (thus expensive to make), and there's still plenty of cars that need to be created. Moreover, race 07 platform unsuitable for big fields, which are a necessity for three classes of races going on at the same time. There's also the issue of the night racing which the engine does not currently properly support.

LMS - Race 07 technical limitations
Needs a few more cars made, but only two and a bit more tracks made/updated, and they aren't far away either. Certainly highly requested. The biggest problem is the engine support for the types of racing done. Yet, who knows?

V8 Supercars - Licensing issues & Too expensive
License rumored to be owned by Codemasters(?). Aside from the questionable status of the license, at first glance it looks good - just two cars that need to be created mechanically. They are touring cars, which they know how to do well, day racing and highly requested. But then have a look at the cost and effort that would go into making it: Consider that the massive number of tracks that would need to be visited and created lie as far away as physically possible from SimBin's HQ in Sweden. Here's a list of them, spread out all over Australia (which is huge in itself), New Zealand and Tasmania:

1 Adelaide
2 Sydney
3 Melbourne
4 Hamilton
5 Perth
6 Darwin
7 Ipswich
8 Benalla
9 Phillip Island
10 Bathurst
11 Surfers Paradise
12 Sakhir
13 Symmons Plains

BTCC - Licensing issues
License taken but rumor has it they are looking for other game developers to give the license to. Also fulfills the "much requested" criteria. Some tracks and cars exist already and Britain is not far away geographically for track making visits.

WTCC 1987 - Too impopular
Many who tried the cars fetured in Race 07 loved it. But the series as itself is not particularly requested, and an old series like that which wasn't absolutely legendary has a very poor market. Even worse, partial WTCC 1987 content is already featured in Race 07.

FIA GT Historic - Licensing issues
Licensing has been occupied by 10tacle for some time. But it's been years and perhaps they've sold it or done some accolmmodation. It's extremely much requested by the community and the engine supports it very well, with most 3d groundwork done in the old GT Legends title and most tracks already done.

Most likely results
A1GP
2. GP2
3. LMS

Most likely results (Ignoring some License Issues)
DTM
2. A1GP
3. GP2

Most likely results (Ignoring Cost)
1. A1GP
2. GP2
3. LMS

Most likely results (Ignoring Cost & Some License issues)
1. V8 SuperCars
2. DTM
3. A1GP

----------

God damned, my fingers hurt now, and this took forever to write. If you enjoyed this analysis, at least click the "thanks!" button in the corner of the post! :good: Any discussion welcome (factual errors or just different opinions! :) )

• Mikkow

(SuperLeauge Formula)They are just Formula 3000 cars but if anyone makes a skinpack :peace:
Superleague Formula car: Panoz DP09
Engine: 4.2 Liter V12, revs to 12,000 rpm and outputs 750hp.

Formula 3000 car: Lola something
Engine: 3 liter V8, Revs to 9000 rpm and outputs 461hp.

Thanks really makes sense - just exactly what I'd been thinking with BTCC and DTM the mostly likely.

The BTCC only needs 2 car models creating too :), just like DTM. Unless they wanted to do incorporate the short-lived Lexus' too, they just need the Civic and the Integra.

• Mikkow

Haha Mikkow, i must say i admire the amount of time you put into creating rumours :) Nice list of racing series by the way... You forgot WRC and NASCAR though :D
Yeah it sure took a while. :D But I like doing analytical things - applying the mind. Good exercise, really.

I'm sure you were joking about those two series for obvious reasons. :) But did I miss something else? I can't think of anything that has been requested by people that wasn't already mentioned.

• Mikkow

I updated the post with various facts. I checked and codemasters really has a "DTM Racedriver 3" from only a few years ago as well as a "V8 Supercars 3", and thus may well hold the license still. We know they have the BTCC license too. Anything about them letting these licenses go is probably just the rumor mill and should be regarded as less probable than those series with open licenses.

I also noted that A1GP is in financial difficulties and would probably be open to desperately advertise themselves through a racing sim, and that the expansion was announced just when the A1GP season started (SimBin follows and documents the races etc when making these things). I strongly raised the probability for A1GP and lowered it for DTM.

I'm fairly sure Codies would sell the BTCC license - doesn't make sense for them to hold it and keep leaving it out of their games since 2004. That's not making money - and SimBin aren't really big rivals in the console market and Codies don't sell too much in the PC market anymore so that's a plus point.

I agree A1GP are desperate to promote themselves. However, would that make a good add-on? Aside from the tracks (the ones we don't already have aren't amazing I must say), won't they just be jumped-up F3000s? Plus I'm sure SimBin know about MMGs F1 Mod anyway.

• Mikkow

I'm fairly sure Codies would sell the BTCC license - doesn't make sense for them to hold it and keep leaving it out of their games since 2004. That's not making money - and SimBin aren't really big rivals in the console market and Codies don't sell too much in the PC market anymore so that's a plus point.
Anything is possible with the whole license issue, but I think we should try to stay realistic and not count much on those 'special' deals coming through. Best to go on what we know or think we know :p There's many other good series that are possible and popular after all.

• Mikkow

I agree A1GP are desperate to promote themselves. However, would that make a good add-on? Aside from the tracks (the ones we don't already have aren't amazing I must say), won't they just be jumped-up F3000s? Plus I'm sure SimBin know about MMGs F1 Mod anyway.
A1GP brand name is well known among racers, I think. The cars are now brand new for the season, based on the Ferrari F2004 F1 model. The expansion gives a car that has 30% more power than a F3000, a bunch of new tracks (some aren't the most popoular, but they're new), new rules, racing with nations concept, and the power boost feature. Not bad for an expansion. The STCC expansion didn't give much either, just a few more tracks, slightly different rules and a few more cars veeeery similar to what we already have.

Interesting that you mentioned F3000. The dimensions for the track width and wheelbase are identical, but not sure about the rest. As I said, 30% more power in the A1GP car, and it does look like the width of the whole car is a bit wider. I'm going to guess that the A1GP car has less drag yet higher downforce.

EDIT: Just found out more accurate specs, and the A1GP car is larger in every way than the F3000 cars. Longer wheelbase, wider tracks, wings etc. It also has 90-140hp more.

I realise there is a fairly big power and speed difference, but they seem a little, shall we say, pointless? With an F1 mod coming and F3000s already in the game will there be room for another single seater mod?

As for STCC I think it's safe to say that the Touring Cars are waaay more popular among RACE/GTR Evo users than single seaters, plus the tracks rock, whereas the A1GPs generally don't. Hence the reason they could bring that particular mod out. Oh, and they're Swedish.

Feel free to disagree with me, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm gonna get soo much stick if the add-on is A1GP looool.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back