Need For Speed: SHIFT & SHIFT 2 Unleashed

Woot! I'm having a bit of a breakthrough here, but ran into a minor problem. Here's what I did. I created an empty folder on my desktop and then took my Pakfiles folder and put it in there. After placing the "Unpack_NFS_SHIFT.bat" (with the 2 corrisponding files) in the new folder and running it, guess what? EVERYTHING is unpacking for me as far as I can tell!

The only problem is this: Unpacking the Pakfiles folder results in the creation of an audio and a movies folder. There's already an Audio and Movies folder in the root of SHIFT. Now what? Just copy the contents of the newly created folders over to the folders in the root of SHIFT? Same name folders right? So when the game goes to look for a file in a folder labeled "movies" or "audio" it'll be fine? HELP! I'm so close I can taste it... mods of my own!

EDIT: Just noticed there's also a resulting gui and render folder as well. Crap this sucks!

EDIT 2: Well, I'm going to go through and only add newly created content from unpacking to the duplicate folders (and yes, sub-folders. even some files are replicated I've noticed) from the original install. I'm hoping for the best here and will post results as soon as I'm finished.

EDIT 3: Result = SUCCESS! Don't know why unpacking the Pakfiles folder on it's own worked, but it did. I did this with the patched version of the game by the way. Just needed to go through the various resulting duplicate folders, sub-folders and files and add whatever new content the unpacking process created. I did experience the slow game load time and track/race load time the first (and so far only) time around. I'm just happy I found a way to get things working for me. Thanks to those who offered up advice and tried to point me in the right direction, but I guess I found my own answer. Anyone else in the same boat as I was, try this method and see what happens.

I'll buy the disk version if I have to, but would prefer to download it so am hoping the mods work on the Steam version.

-ZXR

In my experience with other games, the steam versions are usually packed differently, so i'd assume at this stage that they wont work, at least not in the usual way we do it. However, who is to say that there isnt another way to get them to work.

• ---SK---

Yes thats possible just dont copy the cameras and tracks folder from my mod

• BobbyV

What if I use only 'packed' version? Is there a way to keep the original blur effects?

• Robert Hicks

I just got the steam version of the game last night. I hope it's moddable.

EDIT: I did find the PakFiles folder on the steam version so I'll have to try a mod and see if it works.

Online issue

I was running it well and smoothly online untill yesterday.
I have a message telling me that the client is no longer available and for me to check out
the game version. I have installed the 1.1 patch 2 weeks ago and played with well since then.
Anyone having the same issue? Any ideas for what is going on?
Could be because of so many mods available? I only have 2 of them.
Everything runs well, I type the mail and p/w account, EA tells me that my account is correct, give me my user name correct, but when joining session I have the message above. The NFSShift online sucks BTW, however I find it cool aswell.
Thanks in advance.

Conquering the Controls

NOTE: I also Posted this in the 'Bug Report' Thread.

Apparently there is a Bug with the Default Set-ups. Here's the fix for the Controller, not sure if it's good with the Wheel. Let me know: Copy/Pasted from the Xbox.com Forums:

Steering Dead Zone-15%
Accel Dead Zone-10%
Brake Dead Zone-10%
Steering sensitivity-5%
Acell Sensitivity -5%
Brake sensitivity-5%
Speed steering Sensitivity 100%

On to the 2nd fix:

At the main menu enter CAR GARAGE----> TUNING, press 'Y' to enter quick tuning mode.
Under the heading 'balance' move the slider all the way to OVERSTEER. That's right oversteer. Apparently the developer labeled this slider wrong or its a glitch. Turning the slider to oversteer will actually add understeer.

Now go drive. as you can see the cars are now more comparible to the feeling of Forza2 and RacePro. It may not be as good but it is now close! There was a sim hidden somewhere in all this mess and I may have to take back some to the nasty things I said beforehand

(Special thanks to Torque Spike for finding this on the EA forums!)

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 44 9.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 21 4.3%
  • Yearly

Votes: 31 6.4%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 10 2.1%