My ClubSport WheelBase V2 review

The Fanatec CSWv2 review by HoiHman

69dbcfc69547d7e81719d9f15548f4.png

I was very excited when I got an email from Fanatec with the invite to beta test a new product.

At that time I did not know what it was yet. I still had to wait a very long 3 weeks until I finally got an email that a ClubSport Wheel Base V2 was shipped and it was a very nice surprise :)

So I expected a half finished beta product in a unmarked box, which probably needed a lot production adjustments before the final release.

To my great surprise the UPS guy showed up at my doorstep with the "standard Fanatec shipping box" and on the side of the box I could clearly read what was inside.

shipping_box_v2.jpg

When I opened the box, I quickly learned there was no "beta packaging". This "beta" unit was packed like the full retail CSWv1 I received 4 weeks earlier : A full colored box, base covered in dustbag in foam. A quick guide was even included

The box is a bit bigger, which immediately gives the impression that this wheelbase has more to offer. Which it does

DSC06307.jpg

A quick inspection learned that the mounting points and the dimensions were exactly the same as the CSWv1. This is a very big pro for all current CSW/CSR-E owners. This means you can install your new base in no time, without having to adjust anything to your rig, besides exchanging the power supply to feed the bigger brushless servo motor.

The obvious big optical changes to the CSWv1 are:

Dark cover on the top and a polished edge on the front plate

CSW-V2_big_01-1000x666.png

The fan on the back of the wheel

CSW-V2_big_05-1000x666.png

The rubber ring on the quick release hub

CSW-V2_big_03-1000x666.png

Even though my wheelbase is officially labeled as beta. It looks and feels like a full retail product.

The quick release has been improved by adding an extra rubber ring which reduces play significantly. Although the necessity to use the bolt all the time has been decreased, I still prefer using the special bolt to firmly secure the wheel to the base.

Because fanatec want to keep compatibility of all add-on rims with the new ClubSport Wheel Base V2, this is the best solution possible.

So yes, you can use all your CSWv1 rims on the CSWv2. On the Fanatec website there is a long list of rims directly available for the ClubSport Wheelbase V2.

Undoubtedly there will be a lot reviews covering all the various technical aspects of the CSWv2 (benchmarks, internals ect)

The full specs can be found here:
http://www.fanatec.com/forum/discus...eel-base-v2-servo-power-and-multi-platform/p1

My review will focus on the important aspect:

How does it drive?

At the release the ClubSport Wheel Base V2 is for PC and PS3. Next gen console support will be added at a later stage through additional rims.

I have only tested the CSWv2 on the PC. The current 2.0 driver and the latest Fanaleds release already support the CSWv2

First Impression : OMG :D

The wheel is fast, very powerful. Effects are more crisp, clear and direct. There is no cogging, the wheel is super precise and smooth and i have to mention it again : It's POWERFUL

So I tested the wheel with various sims (Asetto Corsa, Iracing, PCARS, Rfactor2) and the simcade codemasters games (F1 2013, Grid Autosport & Dirt 2 )

The wheelbase is secured very firm to my rig, which is as solid as a rock. Driving the CSWv2 with no flex in the base or the rims feels great. All Fanatec rims are high quality wheels and they all feel real and authentic. No plastic feel like of some their competitors.

In all sims the wheelbase feels very smooth and has very little resistance of the internals. The powerful brushless servo motor is very fast and ensures that there is no cogging at all.
You clearly feel the bumps, curbs and dips in the track and even the camber of the wheels through the steering wheel. (depending on the sim)

All effects are delivered faster, more direct and clearer than ever experienced before. Because the base has so much power is much easier to distinguish different loads on the front wheels during braking of when the wheels are losing grip.

The CSWv1 was already a very precise wheel, but with 2 sensors the CSWv2 is much better. The Club sport Wheel base V2 has 4096 Pulses per Revolution. This means with a 280mm steering wheel a 0.22mm movement at the edge of rim will be picked up by the internal sensors.

This precise movement is noticeable in all sims and it contributes to better control of the car. I could clearly notice the difference in all sims and for example in F1 2013 and did not have to revert to in game linearity settings to get a good feeling around the center.

So how powerful is it?

Driving with the ClubSport Wheel Base V2 can feel like a real workout especially when one of the smaller rims is mounted (like the Flat1 / Round1 of Formula rim)

When driving on the straight at full speed, the downforce pushes the tires on the road with full downforce and I literally have to use a lot strength to turn left or right.
As soon I start to brake and the speed goes down, it becomes easier to turn in the wheel. I can clearly feel the difference in resistance between high speed and low speed corners.
When the front tires are loosing grip, the wheel becomes light.

When driving with high Forcefeedback levels, it's the experience that makes you sweat and your hands start to hurt. It gives you an impression of the great physique a real race driver must have to do this in real life.
The first timeafter 15 minutes you feel like taking a break. :)

Also the bigger porsche 918 RSR wheel feels just perfect when mounted to the ClubSport Wheel Base V2. I do not own a BMW GT2 rim anymore, but i think there is more than enough power available to handle it without any drawbacks.

The tuning menu offers various options to customise the wheelperformance to your liking. Settings like rotation, shock, ABS, linearity, spring, damper and deadzone can be changed in realtime by pressing the tuning menu on the steering wheel.
The force settings allow you to overclock the FFB effects from the sim to a maximum of 150%.
In all my testing the wheelbase never became hot, nor did i experience any forcefeedback drop-off during long racing sessions. The brushless servo motor and the bigger ball bearings give me the confidence that this is a real reliable wheelbase.

When I used the wheel for the first time after not using it for a couple days, I found myself more than one time checking the force settings in the tuning menu. Every time i was thinking it was set way above the standard 100% from a previous session, but it wasn't. :)

On Iracing Thomas Jackmeier (CEO of Fanatec) wrote that the wheel is so powerful that 95% of all simracers do not need a more powerful wheel. I totally agree with him. This is about how powerful you can get, without needing an emergency stop button.

At this moment I do not believe I will ever need a more powerful wheel.

I was very satisfied with the CSWv2 from day one, but the announcement of next gen compatibility through additional rims is a genius concept.
This means I can use my Clubsport Pedals, Handbrake and Shifter together with the ClubSport Wheel Base V2 on the Xbox One and the PS4 in the future. It doesn't get any better than that.

Judging from the response from fellow Beta testers, they all feel pretty much the same. At the price of 599,- this is the wheel with the best price performance ratio on the market.
To prevent long pre-order and waiting periods Fanatec implemented the "by invitation" order procedure giving Fanatec customers the first option to buy the new wheelbase.

There is simply no way that their supply can keep up with demand at the launch or the next couple of months.

". At the price of 599,- this is the wheel with the best price performance ratio on the market."

With 599 coins you only get just the wheelbase. Extra wheel costs something between 250€ to 400€! And you still need shipping which is 30-60€ for me. You probably want pedals too. The v2 pedals go for 250€. So all together this best "performance price ratio wheel" as a whole package would end up costing me 250+600+30+250=1130€. Are you insane? Are you serious? LOL!

Best value for money? DFGT. Best value for higher end wheel? Tr500. If you want better wheel you can get better wheel at extra cost. But with diminishing returns. This wheel however is not even close to being good performance-price deal. It may be the performance one but definitely no chance whatsoever the price one.

You also need to experience the price!

Please don't misquote me on purpose. I never even hinted the dfgt has better performance. It does absolutely have better price/performance ratio though than a 1200€ wheel/pedal combo. If 1200€ combo has better price/performance ratio than a 200€ combo then obviously by your logic a 7200€ combo is better price/performance than a 1200€ combo if it is better.

What you are saying is that a ferrari 458 has better price/performance ratio than toyota GT86. Is 458 better? Yes. Faster, more power, better interior, better everything. But a LOT higher price which makes it less good in terms of price/performance.

E: just for the sake of argument. I think the csw2 looks like a great wheel. Except for the price which is kinda high when you add the price of wheels it definitely looks like the king of the consumer priced wheels although it is clearly the most expensive one too.

I think the problem is that you're trying to tell others what offers more value to them based on your unwillingness to spend more money. What many people struggle with is determining actual value, but here's the thing, what offers value to you vs the cost of the product may not be the same as someone else and likely won't be. Just because you can't justify the cost of a product like this because you feel it doesn't offer enough value for the money, doesn't mean that many others will feel the same way you do based on the performance vs cost. The performance is clearly what you're paying for here. Clearly you can purchase any old wheel and pedals for a lot less money, but that has ZERO value to me since I won't use it, I would however use this CSW v2 wheel and at its price point, it offers plenty of value to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You also need to experience the price!

Please don't misquote me on purpose. I never even hinted the dfgt has better performance. It does absolutely have better price/performance ratio though than a 1200€ wheel/pedal combo. If 1200€ combo has better price/performance ratio than a 200€ combo then obviously by your logic a 7200€ combo is better price/performance than a 1200€ combo if it is better.

What you are saying is that a ferrari 458 has better price/performance ratio than toyota GT86. Is 458 better? Yes. Faster, more power, better interior, better everything. But a LOT higher price which makes it less good in terms of price/performance.

E: just for the sake of argument. I think the csw2 looks like a great wheel. Except for the price which is kinda high when you add the price of wheels it definitely looks like the king of the consumer priced wheels although it is clearly the most expensive one too.

Don't want start a discussion here, i think it's best we agree to disagree :thumbsup: LOL:p

Let's get back on topic guys

Upvote 0
hoihman,

awesome review
loved especially the bit about the load on the front tires
you have the gift to translate what you feel in to words very well!

P.S.: Stupid you sold your bmwrim... :whistling:

Upvote 0
I think the problem is that you're trying to tell others what offers more value to them based on your unwillingness to spend more money. What many people struggle with is determining actual value, but here's the thing, what offers value to you vs the cost of the product may not be the same as someone else and likely won't be. Just because you can't justify the cost of a product like this because you feel it doesn't offer enough value for the money, doesn't mean that many others will feel the same way you do based on the performance vs cost. The performance is clearly what you're paying for here. Clearly you can purchase any old wheel and pedals for a lot less money, but that has ZERO value to me since I won't use it, I would however use this CSW v2 wheel and at its price point, it offers plenty of value to me.
I'm not really telling other what is good value for them. Price/performance is always subjective even when it should be objective. I'm not telling csw2 could not be worth it for someone. But as a package it is still 1200€ and as such it good price/performance deal for really really small minority.

My point was to simply look at the sim wheels from the perspective of everyone. It is not possible to look at just one wheel on the market and say it has good performance/price ratio. In comparison to what? Itself? To say something is best means it is better than all else. In that sense dfgt has the best price/performance ratio. If we take the top 5% niche group then obviously money becomes less important. And as for the performance/price ratio the price becomes less and less important so becomes the whole ratio.

When someone says the csw2 is good performance for money then to me it sounds like saying ferrari 458 is good performance for money. It really isn't. At that point the whole price/performance argument becomes totally unfunctional anyways because no sane person will say a 650€ pc racing steering wheel base is good performance/money deal just no sane person will say ferrari 458 is good performance/money deal. At that point you are only looking at performance and the cost is almost meaningless. When the cost becomes totally meaningless we are looking at bodnars and accuforces (bugattis, paganis and koeniggseggs).

So when price is no concern the bugattis, paganis and koeniggseggs have the best performance/price ratio? Lol, nope. They are the best but only when the price is not part of the equation. It is simply odd to say somethign very expensive has best money/performance ratio if you just forget the price.

It looks like good wheelbase. It is probably worth 650€ for lots of people. But for price/performance there are better wheels. For performance alone- not many.

Upvote 0
Great review @HoiHman
The base looks so fast.
Whats with plate arcoss the front of you're base in the video :O_o:.

I cant wait to get my hands on the v2
I really want the feel the wheels,grip and downforce through the wheel i cant really feel it with the v1.
So the optical sensors and new motor will be a great improvement.

I wasn't going to buy the porsche rim even though it os lighter.
My bmw rim is two slow on the v1 and find alot of deadzone on the centre of the feedback.
I have barely used it the grips are hardly worn after two years.
So maybe i might get the 918 rim for xmas and get more use out of the bmw rim.

With the improved Qr shaft
Did find the quick release
on the rims vibrate a lot and doesn't translate the vibration from the feedback through the rims fully.
I found it annoying and loud i constantly had my wheels bolted on the v1 but it makes a difference.
But they have improved it with the Qr hub.

Hopfully i get a code soon.
I have the money set aside for it.:D

Upvote 0
I'm not really telling other what is good value for them. Price/performance is always subjective even when it should be objective. I'm not telling csw2 could not be worth it for someone. But as a package it is still 1200€ and as such it good price/performance deal for really really small minority.

My point was to simply look at the sim wheels from the perspective of everyone. It is not possible to look at just one wheel on the market and say it has good performance/price ratio. In comparison to what? Itself? To say something is best means it is better than all else. In that sense dfgt has the best price/performance ratio. If we take the top 5% niche group then obviously money becomes less important. And as for the performance/price ratio the price becomes less and less important so becomes the whole ratio.

When someone says the csw2 is good performance for money then to me it sounds like saying ferrari 458 is good performance for money. It really isn't. At that point the whole price/performance argument becomes totally unfunctional anyways because no sane person will say a 650€ pc racing steering wheel base is good performance/money deal just no sane person will say ferrari 458 is good performance/money deal. At that point you are only looking at performance and the cost is almost meaningless. When the cost becomes totally meaningless we are looking at bodnars and accuforces (bugattis, paganis and koeniggseggs).

So when price is no concern the bugattis, paganis and koeniggseggs have the best performance/price ratio? Lol, nope. They are the best but only when the price is not part of the equation. It is simply odd to say somethign very expensive has best money/performance ratio if you just forget the price.

It looks like good wheelbase. It is probably worth 650€ for lots of people. But for price/performance there are better wheels. For performance alone- not many.
You are totaly wrong. Price is not only defined by perfomance there are many things that affect the price of an item such as materials used to make the item, build quality, aesthetics. Look at the base of a DFGT wheel and the T500 and then look at CSW V2, its better in all 4 areas same for the pedals and the rims and that has a cost.

Upvote 0
Most importantly there is a wheel or device on the market now from many sources which accurately relate to the price now, generally speaking you get exactly what you pay for now, and each one works as you would generally expect for the price point..........with that in mind I personally think the price point for the V2 is spot on

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea