McLaren MP4-12C GT3 @ Silverstone

So guys, can you hold your times with the new update ?
The car feels more twitchy, nervous... and due that i lost around 0,5s from my best time on Silverstone.
Coenwulfs setup ride height was too low like mine.
Changing the height, also makes the driving different IMO.

The car feels more twitchy, nervous... and due that i lost around 0,5s from my best time on Silverstone.

Yeah, I had a runout here on friday shortly after the update and, of course, had to make some changes to the setup, but I was soon back close to where I was before. I Think the best lap I did was 1:59.121, so it looks like the same sort of times are well within range.

Here's the setup: -

Attachments

• MP4-12C GT3.ini
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,332

Coenwulf is an Alien. :alien:

I've tried doing 1:59.xxx but i gave up.
Maybe i will try again with this update, even watching his vid doing a lap i can't get lower than 2:01xxx :)

Coenwulf is an Alien. :alien:

I've tried doing 1:59.xxx but i gave up.
Maybe i will try again with this update, even watching his vid doing a lap i can't get lower than 2:01xxx :)
I've been beating my Pb's with Coen's old set-up(s) only raising the front a little to validate the set-up..

Haven't driven Silverstone yet but 1.57.2xx on Nurb or 1.46.3xx on Mugello with his old set-ups work fine :)

Last edited:
Hey guys.
Im trying to work on a setup for the 12C GT3 @Silverstone. So far I've noticed, that the softer springs I use, the more grip I get. When I put the front and rear springs on minimum, which I think is 90/110, the amount of grip I gained was absurd. The car is very stable over curbs (unlike stock), it is very grippy in all situations, it doesn't roll too much to make the car unstable over the S'es section, and is overall very good.

Is this really the simple trick for the McLaren? When I tried bumping the stiffness up to around 140-150, the car would almost literally not steer and would spin tires under any cituation up to 3rd gear. It really, really lacked grip with higher spring rate. I noticed that on Nurburgring GP, as well. When turning down the spring stifness, the amount of grip/traction gained was insane!

Other than that, is there anything else major to change on the McLaren to make it faster?

The stenght of the McLaren is Turn-in and trail-braking, the latter an advanced technique.
Work on balanced camber values, not seldom you'll get a bit more camber at the rear than at the front, in contrast to other GT cars.
I'm currently running -4.4 front camber in race trim.
Trail braking is difficult in the McLaren, in corners with a higher gear than 3rd, due to lift-off oversteer. It's possible to set it up in a way that lets you trail brake, but then it understeers the rest of the way through, and out of the corner.

Anything less negative camber than -3,8° is definitely too much. Set your cambers more positive to have a greater contact patch of the tyres doing a more equal amount of work.
Check your lift and drag coefficients and your aero balance via the aero app. 42 - 44% at the front is a good start.
You are welcome to read the Setup guide, sticky above.

Last edited:
Anything less negative camber than -3,8° is definitely too much. Set your cambers more positive to have a greater contact patch of the tyres doing a more equal amount of work.
Check your lift and drag coefficients and your aero balance via the aero app. 42 - 44% at the front is a good start.
You are welcome to read the Setup guide, sticky above.

Thank you for your help. I've read and re-read the entire guide. I feel like -4.4 has superior grip in corners than -3.8, even tho it seems wrong.

What is the "most" aero percent in the front, should I get in the McLaren?
Also, what setting would you reccomend to change, to make the car more stable over curbs? I adjusted bump and rebound, and that seems to have made a difference, but it's still twitchy and unstable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your help. I've read and re-read the entire guide. I feel like -4.4 has superior grip in corners than -3.8, even tho it seems wrong.

What is the "most" aero percent in the front, should I get in the McLaren?
Also, what setting would you reccomend to change, to make the car more stable over curbs? I adjusted bump and rebound, and that seems to have made a difference, but it's still twitchy and unstable.
As you know the McLaren is a mid-engined car that is rather twitchy, so play it save and go with max 43% of aero downforce at the front.
To make driving over curbs safer, you can increase the front first bump damper settings (you might need to increase the first rebound as well, to prevent unwanted oscillation of the suspension). This will give you very slight understeer over the more grippier tarmac track surface, but more stability riding over lower friction surfaces which the curbs are.
If you look in the surface.ini file for a particular track, the curbs and of course the grass have lower friction coefficients than the tarmac.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back