F1 2011 Mapping mixture control

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I used XML notepad in F1 2010 to change some of the default buttons on my wheel (Fanatec GT2). That way, when you load up the game and choose your wheel it will already be mapped. It's a great program for this but it will not open the cameras file for some reason. It's really easy once you work with it. All you have to do is open up your wheel .xml file, (I forget which folder it's in) and change the default values to values you prefer. I'm not at home at the moment or else I could show you how it's done.

And yes I am extremely confused by what you just said @ Gnu UK

First create 4 new DPAD commands, here's 2 of them :-

*** Note - It's USUALLY at this stage you create 1 single command, to send ALL the DPAD commands at once, then assign it to one of your buttons, but F1 2010/11 just doesn't like this method ***

profile1.jpg

profile2.jpg

Once you have created one command for each DPAD position, you now use those 4 commands to build a new CYCLING commands (Lean, Rich, Fuel Std, here are my 3 :-

profile3.jpg

profile4.jpg

profile5.jpg

Now assign each of these cycling commands to the 3 buttons you want to use :-

profile6.jpg

That's it really ..... it's just that you HAVE to press each button (your Rich button for example) 3 times to get what you want .....

Ok i see what you've done now, take a look at my post on the 2nd page, I've been updating it as I go along so as not to fill up a bunch of pages. I thing I had done had the same effect as what you've done with your cycling command but with just a regular command.

Ok i see what you've done now, take a look at my post on the 2nd page, I've been updating it as I go along so as not to fill up a bunch of pages. I thing I had done had the same effect as what you've done with your cycling command but with just a regular command.

Yeah ..... I just couldn't get a regular command to work consistently, and I see you are having the same problem. I tried a few delays, auto key repeat, and things like that. Eventually I got fed up with it, and tried the cycling method above with a better success rate.

The trouble is, having to press a key 3 times to get what you want, kind of nullifies the reason why you are doing this in the first place.

I will be keen to see your results with single key press system, with or without delays, I hope you are more successful than me ..... then I'll copy you ;)

Cheers :)

EDIT: Oh I see you are now thinking about going down the actionmap route, that could be interesting. In that case, as far as I can see, then you can ONLY use buttons that the game actually recognises as a genuine button. I am assuming that if you cannot remap a particular button 'in game', then you can't use that button at all (even via actionmap). As you are using a G27 you maybe ok, I don't know if you have unmappable buttons (like the DFGT's Horn). I can use the horn button via the profiler, but in game I cannot remap it to 'look behind' for example.

Yea I was thinking about remapping some of the d-pad functions to something other than the D-pad and seeing if actual buttons make a difference. there are 4 buttons above the dpad that could function as an alternate quick menu system. I was then going to see if these buttons had better results when issued commands.

Okay, I think I have a solution. I also have a DFGT.
I tried commands with button press sequences, but it doesn't work with the wheel. I think the reason is that there is no "button release" event, just the "button press".
So I remapped the ingame quick menu commands to the keyboard arrows. Then I recorded a command WITH pause times. There are unique events recorded for pressing and releasing the keyboard buttons.
These commands can be mapped to a single wheel button via the profiler. Voilà, works for me.
But because I remapped the quick menu buttons to the keyboard, I needed to create commands for every quick menu action (also tyres), because I cannot reach my arrow keys during racing. but well, I freed the DPAD, so now my DPAD directions choose the four tyre types and the red wheel left/right and the center button are used for the three fuel mixture settings.

€dit: Another downside is that I need to navigate through the game menus with the keyboard because I remapped the DPAD. I guess for me this trade-off is okay. I could try to use the GT button, the PS button and the +/# buttons for tyres and "keep" the DPAD, but I don't think that will be better. So I will use the keyboard for the menus (setup etc), it's faster anyways.

@ Jan Kohler I think we must have figured this out at the same time haha

Here's what I ended up doing (and I still have control of my dpad in menus)

I went to my f1>control settings and chose g27 (my wheel, it's in the options automatically)

Then I went to view/customize controls

I left everything default at first but changed the "quick menu" directions to

"a" for "left"
"d" for "right"
"w" for "up"
"s" for "down"

(or wasd directionals) ...I'm used to first person shooters xD

I then redefined my "fuel mix 1, 2, + 3" commands as you have said using keyboard presses instead of controller presses.

This worked flawlessly when I assigned the "fuel mix cycle" that I had already made to "button 23" in game.

you have to wait for the entire command to go through and actually change your fuel map before you try to change again or weird menu stuff will happen, but that's not a big deal to me, I can wait 5 seconds between fuel mix changes.

I also made a tire selection command since I wouldn't be able to hit the wasd keys easily from where I am, I have assigned them to another single button press rotation but I think having it on the D pad as you have suggested is the better route, that will also free up a button for "look back" on the wheel that I was desperately missing.

Thanks for help guys, i'm glad we got this sorted.

But yea use my method of using your DFGT at first and leaving everything default except only changing the quick menu commands to keyboard commands. that will allow you to still use the dpad in menus.

EDIT: For a quick summary of the end result (i know it can be confusing going back and forth between a few pages of directions) Here is what I'm playing with now

G27 wheel buttons:
Top left remapped to DRS Top right remapped to Kers
mid left left blank*** Mid right is car status OSD
low left is cycle Fuel mix Bottom right is cycle Tires*******

*** I left this blank so that I can use this button for a push to talk command in TeamSpeak/Ventrillo/Mumble
*******I'm going to un bind the tire cycle and instead assign tire choices to D pad Directions, freeing this for "Look Back"

A very good idea guys, I tried something similar to this with F1 2010, but remapping the DPAD just screws around with too much stuff, for me at least. I didn't like going through menus with the keyboard, because I have to reach over the wheel to get to it.

Jan may have hit on something there though, the 'key release' event. You only get it with a key, and perhaps that's why it doesn't work for the DPAD.

This makes me wonder if when you create a command in the profiler, it must be written to some sort of .config or .ini file. So the question is, if there is file created by the profiler, is it editable, and can you add a 'key release' event manually?

EDIT: Yes there is, it's an XML file in this folder (Windows 7 x64) - C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Logitech\Gaming Software

I will check this out tomorrow sometime, as I am going to bed now .....

I think there HAS to be a way, because what sense does it make to have a game controller that doesn't allow you to hold the button down. Obviously the game registers presses and releases separately, or KERS wouldn't work.

Also tho Gnu, you can use the Dpad in menu as long as you start the game with a button on your controller (dfgt???) and then customize the controls to only set the "quick menu right,left,up,down" commands to keyboard buttons. There's a line somewhere in the action map that says "quick menu controls" and "menu controls" and "replay menu controls"

so as long as you customize the controls and only change the quick menu controls the Dpad will still work in game.

John I will have a look at that tomorrow and see what I like best.

Regarding the bottom part of my above post, and this 'key release' event. I noticed that when you click the DPAD when building a regular command it DOES show a key up event visually, it displays a red press down icon and an release up icon in one event, rather than 2 separate events .... so maybe it's irrelevant.

Also looking at the Logitech Profile's XML file, didn't really increase my knowledge any further to be honest, so I am going to ignore that path.

So really I am going to try something around what you and Jan have done, and see if I like it

Cheers guys ......

... and now I really am going to bed!!!

I came across an issue when assigning tire choice macros to the dpad directions.

at first i had the commands for choices mapped to N,S,E,W points on the dpad, I tried to load the game up but it crashed during loading.

I then tried Just using the N, E points (only having 2 choices) and the game loaded up, but I was unable to use "up" or "right" in the menus anymore. those buttons kept routing themselves to "d, d, w" and "d, d, d" respectively. which I should have expected.

I thought since those keys corresponded with the quick menu directions that they wouldn't be used/recognized in the main menus but it seems they just cause problems.

I came across an issue when assigning tire choice macros to the dpad directions.

at first i had the commands for choices mapped to N,S,E,W points on the dpad, I tried to load the game up but it crashed during loading.

I then tried Just using the N, E points (only having 2 choices) and the game loaded up, but I was unable to use "up" or "right" in the menus anymore. those buttons kept routing themselves to "d, d, w" and "d, d, d" respectively. which I should have expected.

I thought since those keys corresponded with the quick menu directions that they wouldn't be used/recognized in the main menus but it seems they just cause problems.

Its possible there is a conflict in your default controller actionmap with those keys. Im not home to check, but have a look at the xml and see if these are assigned not only to quick, but also to the main menu, if so, change the main menu references to 'unassigned' and save the xml.

Its possible there is a conflict in your default controller actionmap with those keys. Im not home to check, but have a look at the xml and see if these are assigned not only to quick, but also to the main menu, if so, change the main menu references to 'unassigned' and save the xml.

I will try that a little later, I came up with a simple work around that's not much of an inconvenience, I just assigned the 4 tire compounds to the combined directionals: NE SE SW NW and now I can use the menu.

But I'll set it back to NESW in a bit to check on the action map

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back