Major Update: 2023 Q2 Update and DLC Released

Gen3 is here
GEN3.jpg

Last edited:
I have no inside info. But I suspect it is news-worthy for RD. However, there's only a few people writing content and they may have already put out their article for today. I bet we'll see an article about the rF2 update in the coming day or two.

View attachment 655381

Here are the ten types you'll probably come across in the wild.
  • The "Why is this news?" troll.
  • The do-no-harm troll.
  • The high-brow troll.
  • The wet blanket troll.
  • The meme-reliant troll.
  • The friendship troll.
  • The broken record troll.
  • The existential void troll.
RD is a site web for AC/AMS2, they support well these games, but for rF2 since Paul has left RD, they hate it, but it's the best FFB physics, and everybody knows it, now it's the best AI too

Also very intrigued to see how the released version of the AI updates behaves. There was clear potential but also clear bugs (as you can see in this Twitch clip) in the beta release candidate versions, so... wonder what's it's like now.

Last edited:
Also very intrigued to see how the released version of the AI updates behaves. There was clear potential but also clear bugs (as you can see in this Twitch clip) in the beta release candidate versions, so... wonder what's it's like now.
it looks disappointing :thumbsdown: is there any serious improvements in AI behaviour or it is almost the same as before update?

gmotor2.5 will never be "fixed"

Do you get it ?

It is like the bugs and bad physical behavior permeates pCars1 right through to AMS2.

Same with all engines that are just continually updated the core behavior does not change.

I could tell you what sim I drive blindfolded they are all that obvious.

No matter how old, how flawed, how bugged rF2 is for ME (IMHO) still the best dynamic driving experience.
When will a engine surpass this for me is any ones guess ?
I see nothing on the horizon, no new way of thinking, no new blank page ?

If all sims had perfect content, eye candy and VR performance 95% would be happy for life with no thought of how they drive, just sad. :coffee:

Last edited:
View attachment 655381

Here are the ten types you'll probably come across in the wild.
  • The "Why is this news?" troll.
  • The do-no-harm troll.
  • The high-brow troll.
  • The wet blanket troll.
  • The meme-reliant troll.
  • The friendship troll.
  • The broken record troll.
  • The existential void troll.
I don't get this response. Do you imply I was trolling? If so, let me put my original post in other words: I do think that a major update of any recent racing sim worth mentioning on RD's main page. Instead, this update gets mentioned only in the forum by a member. That's sad.

I know, RD is run by sim racing enthusiasts as a part time job, so things can fly under the radar but this is not the first time rF2 doesn't get the attention. If my memory serves well, the previous update was also neglected. I mean, how hard can it be to save a thumbnail of the S397 news site, and check it on a daily basis? Or following the studio on Twitter?

Did I say that ? Is that what I said did I ?
Lighten up, it was sarcasm to your question if the answer is not obvious, really ? :)

Here at RD rF2 news always gets savaged. Simply the fact that rF2 news articles many times got the most responses proves that because the articles are full of trolls saying the same things for 10 years.
If you need any proof click on NEWS and scroll back, see how many articles you find, there are many items missing, I mean as if that is not obvious.
Once upon a time Paul used to post news the same time S397 posted it.
Maybe contact the author of the last rF2 article you find ( you have to scroll a few pages ) and ask him why. Julian I believe. :)

I am a duck and let water flow off my back and just quack and make jokes because that is better then me flaming trolls and making it worse. :coffee:

Last edited:
gmotor2.5 will never be "fixed"

Do you get it ?

No matter how old, how flawed, how bugged rF2 is for ME (IMHO) still the best dynamic driving experience.
When will a engine surpass this for me is any ones guess ?
It's really sad that AI in rF2 can't be fixed :( I also played a lot of rF2 but it came to be very annoying with dumb AI.. and I swithced to AMS2...it's also far to be perfect but at least AI seems to be much better and offline experience is step ahead of rF2 since last reiza updates

It's really sad that AI in rF2 can't be fixed :( I also played a lot of rF2 but it came to be very annoying with dumb AI.. and I swithced to AMS2...it's also far to be perfect but at least AI seems to be much better and offline experience is step ahead of rF2 since last reiza updates
AI is fixed, you are late

Problem is gmotor fixes seem to create other issues.
One of biggest was how the AI were constantly on and off throttle in braking phase.
It sounded bad ( I turned down outside noise) but personally I never had a issue because it did not affect the performance of the AI. If you watch any data you will see they never lost or gained speed it was still constant as far as I tested yet people assumed that because of the engine splutter. It never did.

So they fixed this and AI performance is the same, lap times never improved.
Then they do a fix for AI for slipstreaming and passing.

Now when you put both of those fixes together you have the AI divebombing into corners ( like they are using 50% brakes ) which just looks overdone and the faster you like the AI the worse it gets.

The other big problem is the AI fixes appear to be done and tested for DLC. Some of the older stock content behavior is not good, I guess that's fair enough but no comfort if you love the old cars.

Personally I think the very first tyre change improved modern cars along with later S397 changes were good too but neither did little to nothing for Historic. Actually my favorites did not feel as good to drive anymore or since.

If you ask me ISI had it spot on they built a online sim which concentrated on dynamics.
The majority of people I on lined with just used it year after year with few issues and most of those were quickly fixed by the online community.

If you go back to the first builds of rF2 and forget about AI, UI and Looks you will find it drives
basically the same, no revelations there.

ISI openly stated many times they were not interested in AI or visuals.

No matter I still say any simmer should have rF2 in their library. ;)

One thing that always amused me. :roflmao: If you go through the bad steam reviews the vast majority have little time to frankly no time in the sim. there are the odd ones that do have 100's of hours but rarely.
There are many have less then 10 hours. :confused:

Seriously spare a thought for GTR GTL rFactor.
Did you just boot these up and drive them to their potential?
Or were you constantly finding work arounds, tips and tricks to get the most of them ?
Took a lot longer then 10 hours I can tell you. :roflmao:

Last edited:
Did I say that ? Is that what I said did I ?
Lighten up, it was sarcasm to your question if the answer is not obvious, really ? :)

I am a duck and let water flow off my back and just quack and make jokes because that is better then me flaming trolls and making it worse. :coffee:
You did say by highlighting those two items in your troll list. No, your sarcasm wasn't obvious. In fact I still think you misunderstood me and your response was serious, and now you want to blame me for not detecting your sarcasm.

As for the second part, I agree, humour does help but in this case there was no troll to handle, to begin with.

Anyways, no hard feelings. I'll try to find some free time to test this update more. I tried a short offline race with the USF2000 at Silverstone and the AI behaved really well, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Such a massive update.

Everybody who was complaining about AI should be extremely happy with the update.
About every problem we addresses over the last decade has been improved.
I had some really good races already, much better than what it was.

AI is also very depending on who made the AI lines on the track.
Needs a bit different (smoother) line than we would use attacking a corner.
Proper blocking paths also help, many 3rd party track don't have them or they are just bad.

But looking at this list, it's the biggest AI update it ever had.

AI​

• Reworked AI throttle behaviour
    • Less overshooting, more controlled deceleration
    • Improved acceleration with less wheelspin
    • Improved corner exits
    • Eliminated even more sources of oscillation
    • Improved laptimes for certain vehicles
    • Pit speed limit won’t be overshot
    • Stop positions (grid, pit box) will no longer be overshot
  • Reworked AI reaction to other vehicles (road courses)
    • AI will now properly slipstream other vehicles
    • Overtaking occurs if AI can achieve overlap before the next corner, otherwise the AI will save fuel
    • Multiclass: Faster classes will no longer slow down when trying to overtake slower classes
    • Multiclass: Faster classes avoid overtaking unless they can get fully past before the apex
    • Multiclass: Faster classes will attempt to carry more momentum, and lift off early if no overtaking opportunity exists
    • AI will now be more cautious when other cars are around
    • AI can now use more of the space following other cars, for proper drafting behaviour
    • More cautious when yellow flags are ahead or under FCY
    • Player and other cars will no longer be rear ended unless a sudden unexpected lane change makes a reaction impossible
    • When cars ahead are in a fight, AI will now set up for an overtake on corner exit
    • AI won’t hesitate to go 3-wide if the situation allows for it, but will pull out before the next braking zone if an overtake seems too dangerous
    • Less incident prone with large grids

But as soon as there will be a proper article on the frontpage, probably half of "them" makes it in to a shitstorm again.

Last edited:
But as soon as there will be a proper article on the frontpage, probably half of "them" makes it in to a shitstorm again
I think most of the players who'd been using the game for any length of time(like myself) regarded rF2 AI as the gold standard, and became really disappointed when it fell off a cliff and all development seemed to focus on MP at it's expense.
So this is great news and a real boost for SP.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.