1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Looking for a Sequential Shifter, anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Ethan Bass, Dec 12, 2010.

1. I've recently been having some problems with my G25. The pedals have seem to made a deadzone in themselves, making it impossible to just give the brakes a small tap. I cleaned the pedals out yesterday, but the same problem is still happening.

Now, you may be a little puzzeled, but the title and the ramblings do connect.

I have been using the G25 for about a year now and there are a few things I have grown to like and dislike about it.

Wheel itself feels good and of high quality - not going to brake it basicly

Dislikes:
    The shifter in general is too light, not enough resistance - I want a shifter that requires a good tug or shove for it to work, saves moving it accidently
    The pedals are too close together - many a times I hit the brake, and my foot gets stuck under the clutch for a second.

So by looking at the dislikes, as G27 doesn't sound too bad. So I was talking to a friend and thinks I should do a warrenty job and get myself a G27. Does at least get me more buttons on the wheel, it being a little quieter, and moveable plates for the pedals.

Only problem with that is, it leaves me without a Seq shifter. Now I don't want to spends hundreds of pounds, just on a shifter, and I would rather not take one apart and make my own, as I'm terrible at that sort of thing.

So is there anyone here with a good, stiff Seq shifter they could sell to me, or is there a place where I can buy a good shifter without it costing me a fortune?

Thanks for the help.

Ethan Bass.

2. am not sure yet how much its supposed to be, but Todd Cannon is supposed to be making one. also not sure when coming out, but hopefully in the next month or so. May be something to look into.

3. Abdul Al-Amry

Abdul Al-Amry
    2011 RD Indy 500 Winner

I been keeping an eye on Todd for his shifter which is soon to be announced/released. Ethan hold on a bit to find out more about it. So far its gonna be one heck of a seq shifter.

4. I take it you guys have seen this video of the Cannon shifter prototype?

Hopefully the throw can get a good bit shorter than that, and with a bit more resistance. Looks promising though.

Jim

5. Looks good, only thing I'll say is I hope it won't make as much noise as I race at times like 08:00GMT and 00:00GMT, and with alot of people in my house generally sleeping at those times, I don't want to wake them up.

6. Abdul Al-Amry

Abdul Al-Amry
    2011 RD Indy 500 Winner

Ear plugs does the job Ethan.

:) :)

7. Unfortunatly, nobody wears them, and refuse to wear them when I suggest to them. I would rather not wake people up while racing.

8. Carl Gianetti

Carl Gianetti
    Premium Member

That CST shifter looks promising. I am also in the market for a good seq. shifter, but don't want to spend a small fortune. I requested an update on this unit from Todd and am waiting for the reply.
    Has anyone had any experience with the one from ACT labs?? This also looks good.

9. I went thru 3 act labs, the pin that's inside that held shift rod in place kept working loose.

10. Carl Gianetti

Carl Gianetti
    Premium Member

That's good to know. I would hate to spend the money for something that needs to be fixed all the time. I'll see what others may have to say.

11. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

What kind of budget are you looking at? Whats your purchase ceiling? :)

12. Carl Gianetti

Carl Gianetti
    Premium Member

No more than $200.00

13. I used to use an Act Labs shifter for years, with GPL. Mostly the gated 5-speed shifter plate. Also used it a lot as a sequential shifter with GTR2.

I've gone through two, I think, over about five years. Have a new one now but haven't used it yet. But, I've had a lot of fun with them and they're pretty affordable. Possibly the best thing is it takes only a minute or two to go from gated to sequential and back. I'm sure it's not as sophisticated/real as the high-end stuff, but for me, I can't understand why so many of the high-end shifter are gated-only or sequential-only. You'd think all these good engineers could come up with something that works well in both modes.

14. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

For $200 you can make yourself a really top quality sequential shifter!

Look at the one Ensonic made from a real BMW tiptronic shifter. They turn up cheap enough on fleabay.

But of building work at very low cost and you got yourself a bombproof shifter.

15. Carl Gianetti

Carl Gianetti
    Premium Member

Building is not my strong point. I can plug it in. Set the parameters and go. But I would have no idea on where to start.I need to open the box and go.

16. 200 dollars would buy you:

Leo Bodnar's BU0836X (USB button interface)
    Some microswitches and normal switches (make a button box too with the spare inputs)
    Metal for the body (or a plastic project enclosure)
    Metal tube for the lever
    Whatever you use to provide resistance

It's easier than you think to build. Use someone else's design if you want!

17. I've made one from a BMW shifter as well, v easy have it wired into my SLI-M. Great to be able to really hang off the shifter chasing down the person in front.

18. Alex Ball

Alex Ball
    Web Nerd

Got a guide/photos on that, Will?

19. was thinking of doing one, just waiting for another to appear on fleabay so I can make another one for somebody else.

20. Carl Gianetti

Carl Gianetti
    Premium Member

Will
    I have a G27 Logitech
    Is it just a matter of connecting the three wires from the shifter to the connector that attaches to the wheel??