WIP Longford 1967

To what extend did you had to use tree walls to keep the frame rate as high as possible. This because i also have a lot of roads wich have lines of trees beside them. Do you work with the properties of the trees, like shadows and LOD's.

Along the back stright with all the open area there are actually alot of individual trees, as well as a lot of tree wall. The pines before the viaduct and the willows after the viaduct are all individual trees for a certain distance, but by the time they are 3-5 trees back from the road i have some tree wall. The shadows i've mostly set to medium or low in those areas. I had tried with more or less tree walls, and infact in the willow areas i did initially have some tree walls, before i knew that they weren't as dense as i had them, but the walls themselves had lots of zig-zag in them to make them look a little more alive. I found that beyond some point they slowed the framerate considerably. as soon as i removed them the fps went up a noticable amount. they did have reasonable shadow settings too though i think.

I think the way i tried to judge it was to have the tree walls only close enough to the road so that i don't notice them as walls. It also depends on how many polys are already in that part of the circuit.

In short, the way i've done it is with areas that have lots of dense trees i have 1,2,3 rows of trees then a wall. Then i try to keep the clip distances as low as possible without pop-ups. And if it's still no good i lower the shadow levels, shadows fall on cars and recive light setting.

Longford-Battling over the bridges.

Got my scanner fixed & thought you might be interested in a short seven page artical I found.
Its from Old Bike Australasia & the series of articals are called "tracks in time",theres about another 17 different yracks featured so far. Thought you might appreciate some photo's & references that you may not have seen yet.
BLeeK
(now to see if this works!)

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 260
  • img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 250
  • img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 216
  • img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 237
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 246
  • img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 251
  • img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 242
Yeah mate, there are definately some new shots in there. Thanks a lot. The scans have come up just fine on my end so don't worry. I hope to have a v0.9 of some sorts out in maybe 2 months, so hopefully i'll have time to fit in changes from this article. Thanks again! Cheers!

Gday Woochoo,
Only 2months-ish away? Awsome! You'll hear me woo hoo'n all the way from up here!
Not meaning to delay the release or anything, but I was wondering if you noticed the hump just after
King's Bridge on the way to the Pub?(top left photo,jpeg 5)
I reckon that could be a bit of an eye opener in a '50/'60's open wheeler or '60/early '70's Le Mans car,
is there any chance of including it?(an update later maybe?)
Well,Im glad the photo's are of some use-I have 18 other articals of "Tracks in Time",its the main reason
Ive been buying the mag since issue 1 (& all Aussie/NZ content too).

Thanks again,
BLeeK

Hey mate,
yeah, the hump was there til '65. There were a couple of spills over it. Unfortunately Tim Mayer lost it into a tree on the left in practice in '64 and was thrown down the road. Died instantly. My version is '67, when they had levelled it quite a bit. you can see the new tarmac in my vids. The only real chance of seeing the hump from me is if i do a late 50's version, but that's not something i plan on doing (for quite a while at least). Might be something to consider for an OACG collaboration though.
cheers

Gday Again woochoo,
Nah, that's all good. Your the man on the ground on that one, as it were,you've deffinately got a better grasp on the
history of Longford circuit than I. Ive only ever seen Longford circuit in that bike mag,Ive was thinking that the re-planeing(?)
of the hump must have been in much more recent years.
By the way,your "summer blown-dried grassy paddock" texture is my new favourite mouth water-er in the clips.
Cant get much time off at the moment to go home & play Bungonia-er's so Ive been photographing bullnose-veranderd industrial
train platforms Ive seen dotted all over the country side (along with lotsa cool old houses)to turn into pit buildings.
Ive been putting off starting a Bungonia dedicated thred until Ive finally got some GPS data & some sorta start on the basic layout,
first chance I get there will definately be some realtime video links tho.

Thanks again for the ramble time,
BLeeK

haha, man just watched your vid for the first time then... farken hell! nice! puts mine to shame! might have to not sleep tonight and tidy things up a little bit!!

Cheers guys. The brown (and green) grass is from VLM's Rouen, used with permission. It was green but i just twiddled the green-ness out of it. I have spent plenty of time trying to match the colour tones through the whole project. I think it's a critical factor, otherwise some things just pop out and look cartoony, as opposed to just settling in with the ambient light. I won't be sleeping tonight either, but unfortunately it's because of uni, rather than Longford. At least i can have a two hour break for Monaco!

G'day Ed,
my first video, earlier in the thread was recorded at 640 and it didn't look too good after youtube had it's way with it. these ones were at 800x600, so i guess it just gives it more to work with, even thought the highest it will play is at 480p. i can't think of any other reason. The sky texture is a slightly edited sky from 6e66o's pack: http://simscreens.blogspot.com/2008/12/rf-sky-textures-pack.html : also contains dawn and dusk skies i've used.

cool, ill give a higher resolution video grab a try

i love ho your track, visually, is so clean looking. still have the air of grassy fields and aust countryside, but really crsip and clean. makes me feel like my track is quite messy and dirty by comparison. hmmm

Woochoo, your work simply blows me away. The detail is amazing and the amount of work that must have gone into this beaut is immense.

Thanks for supplying the rF community with such a gorgeous track (eventually lol)

:letsgoracing:

Well done, i like what i see so far, (i'm from Tasmania - and have spent sometime in Longford) so this track is a site for sore eyes as it were. i'm really looking forward to having a drive on this track, i have lived in several areas of tasmania,

i congratulate you on your work, and i hope this track wont be too far from release..bring on the old dead race tracks

cheers all ammods

Sure you can! the people are from ISI tracks, like Euroring and Brianza. One of the people had a pink shirt, which wasn't really the look i was going for, so i made it white.

ok, dumb question time...

im guessing you rip open the track with 3dsimed? then 'acquire' the objects from there? how to get from 3dsimed back to BTB then? feel free to point me at a 'how to' if ive missed the point here somewhere. everyday there seems to be something new i need to learn!

hmmm opens up opportunities to steal a few different trees too eh!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back